Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by Bubba »

daytripper wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 07:17
deadheadskier wrote: Oct 20th, '23, 18:22
daytripper wrote: Oct 20th, '23, 13:21 Not that I'm a fan of McCarthy, but why did all the Dems vote him out? They definitely get partial blame in this whole mess going on right now. Did they really think getting rid of McCarthy would make things better?
How many Republicans voted for Nancy Pelosi the two times she has been speaker?

How many for Hakeem Jeffries now?

Zero

What did McCarthy say when he won? He said he'd have difficulty not smashing Pelosi in the face with the gavel.

This is 100% on Gaetz and the freedumb caucus
Certainly not 100%. I can go with 99% on republicans but Dems still have some blame. They were part of the vote.
Perhaps in the sense that a r*indrop in Vermont is responsible for the Atlantic Ocean... :roll:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Bubba wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 09:17
daytripper wrote: Oct 20th, '23, 13:21 Not that I'm a fan of McCarthy, but why did all the Dems vote him out? They definitely get partial blame in this whole mess going on right now. Did they really think getting rid of McCarthy would make things better?

Zero

What did McCarthy say when he won? He said he'd have difficulty not smashing Pelosi in the face with the gavel.

Certainly not 100%. I can go with 99% on republicans but Dems still have some blame. They were part of the vote.
Perhaps in the sense that a r*indrop in Vermont is responsible for the Atlantic Ocean... :roll:
Is your opinion.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

All the Reprobates have to do is come up with a speaker candidate that is not beholden to the Orange Stain. There are some decent moderate Reps out there.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

G-smashed wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 11:41 All the Reprobates have to do is come up with a speaker candidate that is not beholden to the Orange Stain. There are some decent moderate Reps out there.
When they do that, that idiot gang of eight will NOT vote for that person.

I wonder if the Dems can put up a moderate Dem, and get a half dozen angry Republicans to vote therm in. That would take all power away from the freedom caucus, and leave them cooling their heels. Would serve them right too.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

daytripper wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 10:43

Zero

Is your opinion.
So the party that says, for the most part, that they’re in the majority and that legislation should pass the House with only Republican votes (ie no bipartisan bills) is blaming Democrats for not acting in a bipartisan manner, and you’re buying it. OK….

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Bubba wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 14:54
daytripper wrote: Oct 21st, '23, 10:43

Zero

Is your opinion.
So the party that says, for the most part, that they’re in the majority and that legislation should pass the House with only Republican votes (ie no bipartisan bills) is blaming Democrats for not acting in a bipartisan manner, and you’re buying it. OK….
I said Dems have like 1% of the blame and I stand by it, to say different is ridiculous.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Jim Jordan’s dizzying fall bodes an even more broken Republican party to come

Sidney Blumenthal

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ican-party

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Oct 24th, '23, 10:02 Jim Jordan’s dizzying fall bodes an even more broken Republican party to come

Sidney Blumenthal

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ican-party
C.S. Lewis should add what's happened to the GOP to The Screwtape Letters. Of course, this would be the only non-fiction part of the book and Screwtape would be played by Trump. Wormwood of course would be played by McCarty / Freedom Caucus / GOP.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Just to keep the timeline intact…Tom Emmer nominated for the speaker earlier today. He has subsequently dropped out of the race without there even being a vote.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Considering the GOP killed the speakership nomination for a compromise candidate because Trump didn't like him, I'd say no, can't be saved. Anyone still think Trump isn't the GOP de facto party leader? Leading them like lemmings to the cliff.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 08:08 Considering the GOP killed the speakership nomination for a compromise candidate because Trump didn't like him, I'd say no, can't be saved. Anyone still think Trump isn't the GOP de facto party leader? Leading them like lemmings to the cliff.
Does it benefit Trump if the gov't shuts down and we don't provide military aid to Israel/Ukraine? If so, lack of a speaker benefits Trump so we should expect more chaos in from him. Does it help the GOP in 2024? I don't think so.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Ok, how about Mike Johnson as House Speaker?

Who is Mike Johnson you ask? Oh just the Louisiana rep who was the architect of trying to overturn the election for Trump.

Look it how all of these GOP jerks reacted when a reporter brings this up.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1717013 ... 45630?s=20

You know, I've been against capital punishment my entire life. The way these brazen GOP jerks feel about democracy, I think I'm fine with Trump hanging.

This crap needs to result in a punishment so public and severe that no elected officials ever consider it again.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Alexandra Pelosi's documentary 'The Insurrectionist Among Us' is an interesting assessment of where we are as an American society right now. Very Sad.

Johnson .. how appropriate a surname for the next do-nothing Speaker
Forever .. Goat Path
spanky
Site Admin

Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by spanky »

Johnson it is.

Democrats would’ve been better off keeping McCarthy.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

spanky wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 12:45 Johnson it is.

Democrats would’ve been better off keeping McCarthy.
But they have absolutely 0% fault in this.

:bull