Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Expansion

Post by daytripper »

DrJeff wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 08:01
rogman wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 07:00 Must be Ratniks. That and a couple of K3000's are what they left on Rime. Given the limited opportunities for expansion they'd be foolish to squander it. Clearly making snow on GN from the top in the mountain view camera. K is very conservative until they get sustained cold, and that is not here yet.
Not sure it's as much as them being conservative on expansion plans as it is a shift away from what used to be their expansion plan which was to put a relatively thin coat of snow down on a trail and then quickly move on to another trail and put a thin coat down there, and then roll the dice and hope that Mother Nature won't melt them out before she brings some natural snow.

It appears on the surface atleast, that they are now using a strategy where they put down a much more substantial base, capable of surviving most warm weather events, until the more predictable cold arives and sticks around which now seems to be more of a late November/early December thing than was say 20 years or so ago was more of a early to mid November thing. Just my 2 cents
It's been years since they stopped putting down thin coats and moving on. They stopped that around the time that the stairway was built.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Shutting down on the open terrain and giving it a last minute groom. No popsicles today.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

daytripper wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 08:11
DrJeff wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 08:01
rogman wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 07:00 Must be Ratniks. That and a couple of K3000's are what they left on Rime. Given the limited opportunities for expansion they'd be foolish to squander it. Clearly making snow on GN from the top in the mountain view camera. K is very conservative until they get sustained cold, and that is not here yet.
Not sure it's as much as them being conservative on expansion plans as it is a shift away from what used to be their expansion plan which was to put a relatively thin coat of snow down on a trail and then quickly move on to another trail and put a thin coat down there, and then roll the dice and hope that Mother Nature won't melt them out before she brings some natural snow.

It appears on the surface atleast, that they are now using a strategy where they put down a much more substantial base, capable of surviving most warm weather events, until the more predictable cold arives and sticks around which now seems to be more of a late November/early December thing than was say 20 years or so ago was more of a early to mid November thing. Just my 2 cents
It's been years since they stopped putting down thin coats and moving on. They stopped that around the time that the stairway was built.
I wonder, could things be warmer than 20 or 30 years ago?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 08:18 Shutting down on the open terrain and giving it a last minute groom. No popsicles today.
yup just a quick resurface to freshen things up. would be great if they can get the boomerang done for the weekend. forward ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

For sure.

As the smoke clears it would appear I was given bum info on Middle GN too, doesn't look in play yet. Did seem a little too much to be true.

They have turned on the top 1/3 of SS with the shutdown of Rime/Reason.

Be nice to see Upper DD and DD HW get done while they are up top.

I'm not sure how much is landing where they want it with that wind...
allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

Mousetrap Image

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 09:18
As the smoke clears it would appear I was given bum info on Middle GN too, doesn't look in play yet. Did seem a little too much to be true.
Actually, it looks as if Middle GN is being lit up right now.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yes it does, and Lower Ridge too. Well if anything that outta be no more walking up and 2.5 runs off NR for the weekend. Baby steps...
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Between now and the World Cup we have the current cool down, another for the weekend, and another on the horizon for the following weekend. A lot needs to be done, besides the World Cup venue:

Great Northern to the mixing bowl
Upper Bunny
Middle and Lower Chute
Lower Bunny
Killink
Mousetrap?
K1 to the Bubble or even Ramshead?
Caper?

40 thousand people and all ya got is Northridge won’t be a good look.
Crazy Skier
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Crazy Skier »

Groomer going up Superstar Headwall. Snow depth must be pretty good on the trail or are they just smashing the whales already made?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

boots on the ground report ...

making snow on great northern from the top right through the NR. they also had guns continuing down past the NR (is that middle GN?) and on lower ridge run. also continuing on GN to the next NR back door (maybe where it merges w killink). didn't pay it much attention but looked at least a gun or two on upper downdraft. apparently the mouse trap fan gun is also running.

it looks like they can run until late morning tomorrow with mama nature making her contribution w a couple inches. thursday's weather looks to be a mess. then pretty much a straight run from overnight friday with maybe a brief pause into wednesday. after that a pretty good warmup. they need to get most everything done by the 15th. that could be asking a lot.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Crazy Skier wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 14:57 Groomer going up Superstar Headwall. Snow depth must be pretty good on the trail or are they just smashing the whales already made?
Probably measuring the snow depth using whatever system they have. now that they have the data on SS, they can drive a cat over it at any time and know how much snow they have down.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skiballz
Green Skidder

Post by skiballz »

Decent window from Friday to Wednesday. Definitely gonna have to make it happen then. No natural in the forecast though. Sucks.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Right now, not counting Superstar (which is fully lit up), they are making snow on approximately 7500 linear feet of terrain. The remaining portion of the top to bottom route is about 4800 feet long. That means when they finish, they would be able hit the rest of the route, while still being able to start on Skye Lark, which is about 4500 feet long. They're already hitting the very bottom of Skye Lark, after it merges into Bittersweet, with a fan gun. Since snowmaking resumed, I've been very impressed, and I hope it stays that way.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

daytripper wrote: Nov 7th, '23, 18:12 Has skyelark been touched yet? Don't they need that for WC training?
I guess it's desired, but not necessary. They didn't get it in time for last year.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!