Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Skid Mark
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Expansion

Post by Skid Mark »

Skyelark is lit up.

They used to pretend that the World Cup would not affect other snowmaking operations, but that is clearly BS
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:13
I'm not sure where all the anger comes from. It's frustrating but they're open and no one else is. Sunday River's new 20" feed to Jordan had several leaks a week ago and pushed back their opening.
The anger comes from a few factors:

1. Their snowmaking is so much worse now than it was before the pandemic. I don't know of any other resort where that's happened.
2. They know pipe blowouts become a bigger issue every year, yet there's been seemingly no progress on fixing them.
3. They tell bold faced lies on their snow report, like saying they're "working to open more terrain and go top to bottom". They're not doing any of that right now.

After such a promising start, they're back to the way things were the last 2 years. Are they ever going to fix things, or are we just never going to see good snowmaking again?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

snoloco wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:35
I'm not sure where all the anger comes from. It's frustrating but they're open and no one else is. Sunday River's new 20" feed to Jordan had several leaks a week ago and pushed back their opening.

1. Their snowmaking is so much worse now than it was before the pandemic. I don't know of any other resort where that's happened.
2. They know pipe blowouts become a bigger issue every year, yet there's been seemingly no progress on fixing them.
3. They tell bold faced lies on their snow report, like saying they're "working to open more terrain and go top to bottom". They're not doing any of that right now.

After such a promising start, they're back to the way things were the last 2 years. Are they ever going to fix things, or are we just never going to see good snowmaking again?
I thought they replaced a lot of pipe on wildfire and great eastern last summer. Those were always blowing out. K has the biggest snowmaking system in the east, they can't replace it all in one summer. If your so against the way K is being run, why don't you go somewhere else? Ohhh, cause you want to ski and nobody else is open!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Skid Mark wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:23 Skyelark is lit up.

They used to pretend that the World Cup would not affect other snowmaking operations, but that is clearly BS
The mountain never said this. If people haven't figured out that the World Cup is their priority after opening NR then it's time to find another ski area. There is no sugarcoating the fact that snowmaking resources are limited.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Nov 11th, '23, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Are you bipolar?

I have never seen someone go from praise to verbal diahrea like this so quickly.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Call it what you want. They were doing so well, and it all just fell apart. Why do they make claims like "we're working on top to bottom", when they don't have the capacity to do it?
Last edited by snoloco on Nov 11th, '23, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.
Skid Mark
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Skid Mark »

"Let them eat cake" I guess
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 11:05 Call it what you want. They were doing so well, and it all just fell apart. Why do they make claims like "we're working on top to bottom", when they don't have the capacity to do it?
It's a pipe. It will be fixed. It happens at all ski areas. The snowmaking is the same or better than pre-covid. Last year they lit up Downdraft HW (it's been decades), Vertigo (5 ish years), Double Dipper and Upper Header (both 3 years). They fixed The Fiddle this year.

They stayed open until June.

Those are the facts whether you see it that way or not. Vote with your wallet, throw your name in the hat to work there, or do everyone a favor and quit whining every time a mouse farts.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:51

I thought they replaced a lot of pipe on wildfire and great eastern last summer. Those were always blowing out. K has the biggest snowmaking system in the east, they can't replace it all in one summer. If your so against the way K is being run, why don't you go somewhere else? Ohhh, cause you want to ski and nobody else is open!
yes they replaced the wildfire plumbing the summer before last. this summer they replaced the LEF line, re-did the fiddle, and upgraded the capacity at pico in addition to adding more low-e guns to the arsenal. spent upwards of $2 mil. then there was the flooding that wiped a bunch of lifts and 2 base lodges. the hairpins on lower GE were wiped out. as i said, the downside of being first and a leader is a lot of stuff is old and you can't rebuild rome in a day.

and yeah right now as pointed out, in addition to ttb on supe, they're also making snow on most of skylark. and this snowmaking window shuts down wednesday pretty much through t-giving. so it's now or never.

to the entitled whiner, you know what the situation and it's not changing til the WC goes away. like some have said, there's always SR. seems a lot more your speed. enjoy skiing til april 20.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

I feel like this is the same place as last year.
20231111_101613.jpg
20231111_101613.jpg (163.54 KiB) Viewed 101080 times
Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skiadikt wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 07:38 yep another blowout on UEF. for what i understand that's the oldest pipe remaining on the mtn.
That’s not an excuse, that’s an indictment.

I would expect the systems they want day 1 to be of high priority maintenance-wise. Mad props for replacing the lift, but I’d expect the same thinking would apply to all systems needed day one. Their focus on opening UEF is a bit of an irritation. Whatever.

Big picture, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I’m impressed with how well they’ve done. Temps have been better than predicted and K has taken advantage while adapting well to set backs. That’s what good teams do. Carry on.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

They want that trail open because it reduces trail congestion on Rime. If they'd just maintain and replace the necessary infrastructure, then this wouldn't keep happening. Looks like it won't be open tomorrow either.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

rogman wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 11:21
skiadikt wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 07:38 yep another blowout on UEF. for what i understand that's the oldest pipe remaining on the mtn.
That’s not an excuse, that’s an indictment.

I would expect the systems they want day 1 to be of high priority maintenance-wise. Mad props for replacing the lift, but I’d expect the same thinking would apply to all systems needed day one. Their focus on opening UEF is a bit of an irritation. Whatever.

Big picture, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I’m impressed with how well they’ve done. Temps have been better than predicted and K has taken advantage while adapting well to set backs. That’s what good teams do. Carry on.
as i said in another post, they replaced the LEF plumbing and redid the fiddle, in addition to the work at pico. WF the year before. obviously issues still remain. my friend's a snowmaker. he spends the summer working on the pipe replacement crew, so it's not like they're sitting on their hands. they have their budget and their priorities. guessing UEF is high on that list.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They are making snow right down to K-1 on Snowdon currently. They'll get to middle GN later. It will all work out.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:59
Skid Mark wrote: Nov 11th, '23, 10:23 Skyelark is lit up.

The mountain never said this. If people haven't figured out that the World Cup is their priority after opening NR then it's time to find another ski area. There is no sugarcoating the fact that snowmaking resources are limited.
They absolutely DID say this during the first couple of WC seasons. I know they did, because I remember responding to Snoloco's attacks back then by pointing it out.

Early on, they explicitly claimed that expansion was NOT affected by the WC. They pointed out additional compressors, and additional separate crews dedicated to the WC build. In a good season it was probably partially true. Snoloco never seemed to understand that demand is low early season. In a good year they aren't going to overexpand, whether they have the ability to or not. When they open in October, you are going to be walking stairs for awhile. They aren't going to expand just because they can.

But in marginal years, which have become the norm, the WC build most certainly does affect their ability to expand. By the third WC season, they stopped talking as if it didn't.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.