Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Expansion

Post by skiadikt »

boston_e wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 16:49 So I'm trying to map out a plan for the weekend - Would everyone say it is safe to say there will not be top to bottom by Saturday?
couldn't be safer.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 16:45 Seems like that isn't happening at least for tomorrow. I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like a bunch of trails are half finished, rather than focusing on some that could have been finished.
You can't know that from the "Snow Report" that's had the same canned text for a week. There's enough snow there to make it work it's a question of if they'll do it now or wait.

What's happened is it's Killington. Wait 5 minutes and the plan will change. That said, that blow out hurt what plan they did have so they've been using what limited capacity beyond the WC to piece it together.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Yes SA: That's my recollection at least [no Skyelark for World Cup last year]. If you recall, they didn't even get Superstar covered until the last minute, way beyond when normal Snow Control should have been decided. They musta agreed to go on with the event based on the forecasted cold weather snap the week before the races.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

Captain Hafski wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 09:39 Yes SA: That's my recollection at least [no Skyelark for World Cup last year]. If you recall, they didn't even get Superstar covered until the last minute, way beyond when normal Snow Control should have been decided. They musta agreed to go on with the event based on the forecasted cold weather snap the week before the races.
Last years “go” from FIS was 100% based on the forecast and prior years performance. They did not have even close to the required snow 7-10 days prior.
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

KingsFourMan wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 12:57
G-smashed wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 10:59
Big Bob wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 05:35
thebigo wrote: Nov 14th, '23, 22:10 Sunday river has better lifts, culture and snow making than killington

Killington has elevation
If you want elevation go to Sugarloaf.
I haven't been to SR or Sugarloaf since the days of the all east pass but I remember SR being very similar to K but with a smarter trail layout. The main difference was less intersections. As for Sugarloaf I think it's the best mountain in the east but it has a shitty lift system. It's also really far. From NJ you drive for hours until you pass Rocky and Bullwinkle's house in Frostbite Falls and then another hour or so to get there. If I lived in Boston it would be my home mountain.
Agree with G-smashed that Sugarloaf is the best mountain in the east, hands down in my opinion. Would be my home mountain if I didn't have to drive 7 hours and ride a moose to get there. The new West Mountain expansion happening there now is the biggest mountain expansion in the east in a long time.

Also agree that it's lift system sucks. Lots of very old outdated lifts. A new 3 stage gondola from the base of the current village lift (Snubber Chair), to the old Gondola base, and then up the old gondola line to the summit with a mid station at the old mid-station would transform SL overnight. So would lifts in the Burnt Mountain/Bracket Basin area where they currently have snowcat skiing. It's remoteness and the lack of skier visits must not warrant the massive investment whereas real estate sales at the west mountain expansion are offsetting the costs.
SL Gondola would have to be a 3S or similar system, a single rope Gondi would be shutdown far too often due to winds. You might eventally see a low capacity double or at most a triple (not many doubles are built these days) in Bracket/Burnt, but nothing more. On all natural, just wouldn't support much else.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

T-Bar like BW maybe?
skiballz
Green Skidder

Post by skiballz »

May your besstly adventures be thrilling and memorable. 🤮 🤮
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

skiballz wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 14:03 May your besstly adventures be thrilling and memorable. 🤮 🤮
gaslighting 101
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 19:12
snoloco wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 16:45 Seems like that isn't happening at least for tomorrow. I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like a bunch of trails are half finished, rather than focusing on some that could have been finished.
You can't know that from the "Snow Report" that's had the same canned text for a week. There's enough snow there to make it work it's a question of if they'll do it now or wait.

What's happened is it's Killington. Wait 5 minutes and the plan will change. That said, that blow out hurt what plan they did have so they've been using what limited capacity beyond the WC to piece it together.
What blowout? I don't see anything relating to it...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

RENO wrote: Nov 17th, '23, 10:31
newpylong1 wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 19:12

What blowout? I don't see anything relating to it...
The one on upper eastfall
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Nice top to bottom conditions at Bretton woods today, Suckers on the stairs. HAHA. :barebutt: Get it together Killington. Might be my last year of the 365. I have better options.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ damn! i usually ride gate down for just that reason.
gate up only when i feel the need for a thrill ride.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

ANGUS wrote: Nov 17th, '23, 12:39 Might be my last year of the 365. I have better options.
Love to hear it. The fewer passholders the better, IMHO.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

So, with Superstar finished, we should expect to see every gun going on North Ridge and Snowdon tonight, using all available capacty, right? Or at least an equivalent number to what was on Superstar and Skye Lark last week. Anything less would be slacking off.