Sunday 11/19

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Sunday 11/19

Post by RustyK »

Bay one at 10ish to see some people already leaving.
Reports not good.

Frozen Rime with some sugar snow and firm bumps.

East fall wet guns going made it edgeable and less peeps.

ROTD peak bar with Katie and lots of friends.

Rumor is TTB Tuesday.

Lots o guns on Skylark.
Where is Happy Hour ?
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Re: Sunday 11/19

Post by buckethead »

i rarely say this but
glad i didn't ski
this weekend.

had considered oke - until i read this on their website.
...and remembered that early season or not - the place has never been on my radar.
Posted January 6, 2023

Headed for a weekend at Okemo? Here’s how to pack to stay warm on the slopes and dress like a local for après
Last edited by buckethead on Nov 19th, '23, 16:39, edited 2 times in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

RustyK wrote: Nov 19th, '23, 13:29 Bay one at 10ish to see some people already leaving.
Reports not good.

Frozen Rime with some sugar snow and firm bumps.

East fall wet guns going made it edgeable and less peeps.

ROTD peak bar with Katie and lots of friends.

Rumor is TTB Tuesday.

Lots o guns on Skylark.

Katie said you seemed grumpy today, must have been since you were still climbing the stairway a couple days before Thanksgiving!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I bailed on Killington after 4 runs. 2 super crowded trails filled with dirt and rocks is not worth it the weekend before Thanksgiving when other resorts are open. I could not believe that they didn't resurface Rime. I went to Sugarbush in the afternoon. The conditions weren't great, and there was a spot at the very bottom with dirt and rocks showing, but the runs were longer and less crowded. Best of all, no walking or stairs.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Only reason we went up was that it was the only day my wife could make it out due to family obligations.

ROTD: The short stretch between the Peak Lodge and Upper Great Northern. Fortunately, we needed to hit the bathroom before heading down to the "ridge". Otherwise, we would have missed this hidden gem in the current trail lineup.

Rest of Great Northern to the Ridge was OK with a few air hogs putting out decent snow under the gondi.

Jumped right in to get our 'frosty jacket' covering on LEF. Sorta OK in places and as already mentioned, very wet guns [maybe a third of them were on]. Gonna have to keep them guns on / add more to get LEF back in shape.

Rime was awful, though better than I expected. you could still get some turns in on top of the left side bumps which also kept you out of the higher traffic lane down the middle. Note: We probably lucked out re: not too crowded with our afternoon start to the day.

Reason was so so.

If nothing else, a "Snow Nymph's" Legal Day !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Cuervo1.8k
Black Carver

Post by Cuervo1.8k »

(Late post ..... I needed a couple of days to cool off from what I experienced this weekend)

Mike Solimano should be ashamed of the product they offered over the weekend, especially on Sunday.

1. They had multiple days early last week to get things improved and did absolutely nothing.
2. On Sunday afternoon, the guns on Upper East Fall were blowing so wet that I had a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch of ice frozen on my jacket after one run through. This snowmaking crew has no clue what they are doing.
3. The granular quicksand pit at the bottom was just an absolute mess and proof that all the groomers out on the mountain are overgrooming the trails.
4. They had the chance to blow some snow on Rhyme from late on Saturday to try and make some improvement and did absolutely nothing. If I had known they were going to do this I would made other plans for Sunday.

And before someone here posts that they are concentrating on the Race, we have had better conditions with more marginal weather over all the years this race has been run. This year's product is worse than even the year that the top to bottom got wiped out with the Thanksgiving warmup in one of the early race years.

If I could give the entire mountain groomers and snowmakers a grade lower than an "F" for this weekend I would. In the real world, they would have been fired for such a failure.
I never met a bottle of Patron I did not like except for an empty one with no backup.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Cuervo1.8k wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 11:21 (Late post ..... I needed a couple of days to cool off from what I experienced this weekend)

Mike Solimano should be ashamed of the product they offered over the weekend, especially on Sunday.

1. They had multiple days early last week to get things improved and did absolutely nothing.
2. On Sunday afternoon, the guns on Upper East Fall were blowing so wet that I had a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch of ice frozen on my jacket after one run through. This snowmaking crew has no clue what they are doing.
3. The granular quicksand pit at the bottom was just an absolute mess and proof that all the groomers out on the mountain are overgrooming the trails.
4. They had the chance to blow some snow on Rhyme from late on Saturday to try and make some improvement and did absolutely nothing. If I had known they were going to do this I would made other plans for Sunday.

And before someone here posts that they are concentrating on the Race, we have had better conditions with more marginal weather over all the years this race has been run. This year's product is worse than even the year that the top to bottom got wiped out with the Thanksgiving warmup in one of the early race years.

If I could give the entire mountain groomers and snowmakers a grade lower than an "F" for this weekend I would. In the real world, they would have been fired for such a failure.
….. give the Governor a harrumph…..
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I was there on Sunday. 4 runs and done. Pretty much everyone I rode the lift with said they were highly disappointed. The wet guns on UEF weren't surprising given the marginal temps, but I could not believe that they'd didn't resurface Rime overnight when they had better temps. I get why they groomed it so deep to prevent ice, but if you're pulling large rocks up to the surface, then you're grooming too deep. As I said earlier, I won't be back for a while. I have other passes, and other resorts are in much better shape.
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Has anyone emailed Mike??
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Drove over to the mtn. Sunday morning around 9:15 with my skis only to be met by numerous people leaving.. so I asked and they said “don’t bother it’s dangerous “ so that’s it .. the older I get I hate the stairs anyway so .. let’s see what happens with Mother Nature tomorrow…
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

the beast of the least (TM)

even more glad i sat out sunday.
with feezing raiin in the forecast i'm already preparing to get some biking in on my next planned ski days.

the season doesn't really start till that first pow day - but this year it's been hard to suspend disbelief.
Last edited by buckethead on Nov 21st, '23, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

buckethead wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 13:51

the season doesn't really start till that first pow day - but this year it's been hard to suspend disbief.
Where's the bief!
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

indeed...and fixed;0]
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

buckethead wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 13:51 the beast of the least (TM)

even more glad i sat out sunday.
with feezing raiin in the forecast i'm already preparing to get some biking in on my next planned ski days.

the season doesn't really start till that first pow day - but this year it's been hard to suspend disbelief.
good call. after the thaw/freeze, conditions at okemo took a hit. probably really sucked on sunday. yesterday the groom got chewed up quick. lots chunkey monkey. held up better today. they did no resurfacing. all snowmaking was concentrated on expansion.
spoiled South American skiin' whore