Poaching

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Poaching

Post by wtf021 »

Without alot of terrain open and no woods to ski, it is almost impossible to come up with a good reason to give to Ski Patrol on how you ended up on a closed trail.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Until I hear from a few people that have been busted, I’m going to treat this as an unsubstantiated rumor.

The credit card RFID range is pretty low. Maybe a meter or so. They have to harvest energy from the transmitter. It’s a design feature that they’re low range: enhances security. A longer range remote reader that transmits back to a server would require a power source, unlikely to work off battery. This would make them easy to spot. But this really isn’t my area of expertise either. I’d be interested in hearing from someone who knows more.

The Killington App has the capability to help them catch poachers. There would be a problem associating an instance of the app with a particular pass though. They’d be insane to do that. The information it provides them on trail usage is extremely valuable. Any hint of big brother would kill the app immediately.

I’ve poached an occasional trail. Less so in recent years, and I think Killington has an obligation to keep poaching in check. But they are playing a dangerous game with their customers trust when they allow rumors to spread about active customer surveillance as is being suggested.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

ski wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 17:14
simpletwist wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 16:15 I saw patrol today waiting at the Cascade runout a little higher up than Highline. Presumably waiting for Canyon poachers?
10:30 ish today . .
There were a couple tracks down Lower East Fall . . Looked like one track in Downdraft . . Didn't see any on Cascade proper . .
today was much less than monday and presumably a lot less than yesterday.

think they wanted to make an early season statement. poachers were sitting ducks. once the mtn is wide open, shouldn't be a big deal.

think the big brother thing is overblown. not sure what % of folks use it. as far as speed control, guessing it'll just be weekends and holidays. not sure how the implementation is gonna work.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bumper

Post by 180 »

The app shows what trail you skied upper lower middle so it would be easy to block a pass from the app info.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

180 wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 17:54 The app shows what trail you skied upper lower middle so it would be easy to block a pass from the app info.
perhaps there's software that could flag runs on closed trails but doubt they'd go through the trouble. in any case, the simple solution is to not use the app or turn it off and run stealthy when you're gonna poach.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

It routinely says I skied Julio when I go by it. Glitch. Still, the mapping of real GPS coordinates to a position on their stylized map is actually a cool trick. Busting you based on the crappy GPS in your phone is technically questionable. But using any surveillance tech risks consumer backlash. I’m having a hard time believing they’re that out of touch.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Is the app even tied to your pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

LOL at the Killington rumor mill. Come on, RFID readers on the trails? FFS they can't even keep the gates working, and you think they have a secret sensor network out in the middle of the woods?

And tracking you based on the app's GPS? They can't even keep the app updated with correct information, and you think they can comb the data of every skier on the mountain to find which ones might have poached?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Not only can they track you skiing a closed trail, but they can track you at a lodge table if you leave a mess, time your run down to tell if you're speeding, track your bar bill, which bay you park in, and who your ski buddies are.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 20:27 they can track you at a lodge table if you leave a mess
GPS accuracy is significantly degraded indoors. On the plus side, we did find the conspiracy monger!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mister Moose wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 20:27 Not only can they track you skiing a closed trail, but they can track you at a lodge table if you leave a mess, time your run down to tell if you're speeding, track your bar bill, which bay you park in, and who your ski buddies are.
Will they even know which stall you took a dump in?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Eddytheyetti wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 19:51 Is the app even tied to your pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you give them your cell phone number or your landline number?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

There is no way they are using rfid to track you on the hill. The proximity of those cards is a couple feet at best. You would have ski through the reader. The app on the other hand is possible, but gps accuracy on steep terrain with device in sleep mode would make that risky from a false positive perspective.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

So you're telling me when there's 4 feet of snow down the left side of the Fiddle I shouldn't poach?

Same on the bottom of Needles early season.

Same on great bear.

Same on Flume.

Idiots poaching the Flush and Ovation with 12 inches on it deserve their passes being pulled.

Not all poaches are created equal.

Know the hill. Know the wind. Know the conditions.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Big Bob wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 21:07
Mister Moose wrote: Nov 29th, '23, 20:27 Not only can they track you skiing a closed trail, but they can track you at a lodge table if you leave a mess, time your run down to tell if you're speeding, track your bar bill, which bay you park in, and who your ski buddies are.
Will they even know which stall you took a dump in?
They can even track what brand of underwear you're wearing, so always wear clean underwear to K.