tuesday 12/5 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

tuesday 12/5 report

Post by skiadikt »

another fine day on the hill though nowhere near yesterday's "epicness". an inch and change overnight which put a nice topcoat on the nats. the sun & fog battled it out w the fog holding the upper hand. 9-12:30 shift.

though i didn't ski many groomers, it wasn't one of their better grooming efforts. mid & lower chute were not good. neither was lower caper. upper bunny skier's right, trap left and rime were good.

the nats once again were where it was at though they firmed up considerably - more like good mid-winter conditions. at the bell, upper flush was a magic carpet as was full house. among the first down vagabond. north star held up surprisingly well.

everything in the canyon skied well. escapade my favorite. downdraft and flush quite good. enjoyed the ridge run bumps. upper dipper liftline beautiful. once many choices for rotd. gonna call a triple play w upper dipper, flush & full house just because of their consistently excellent snow quality.

fwiw they did shut the canyon down around 11. suspect it was to fire up runout. we caught downdraft just before they closed it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: tuesday 12/5 report

Post by Guy in Shorts »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 5th, '23, 14:19 fwiw they did shut the canyon down around 11. suspect it was to fire up runout. we caught downdraft just before they closed it.
Word on the street is that they had another water pipe fail that required the shutdown.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 07:26
skiadikt wrote: Dec 5th, '23, 14:19 fwiw they did shut the canyon down around 11. suspect it was to fire up runout. we caught downdraft just before they closed it.
Word on the street is that they had another water pipe fail that required the shutdown.
Cue Snoloco head explosion in 3...2...1....
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 08:01
Guy in Shorts wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 07:26
Cue Snoloco head explosion in 3...2...1....
Cue newpy with a 6000 word dissertation on wet bulb and line pressure . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Both are better than bitching about 3 words in the ski report endless TBH...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Are they making snow on LEF and the runout or not? That's all that matters. If they blew another pipe then they should give up on those trails for now and focus on something else that won't blow out.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid-day Bush / Late day K Report: Disappointing at best.

Guessing Bush got a bit more wet NCP than K last few days as icy as it was compared to last Thursday. With that said, I am sure the Bush's lower base elevation was also a factor. I really didn't give the upper mountain it's due as I wanted to ski the other runs recently opened off of Gadd Peak [Moonshine, Twist, etc.]. Murphy's Glade was pretty good at the start and then got firmer at the bottom. Lower Birdland was a real "firm" challenge. Not fun. Same goes for Twist. So - I packed up and headed back to K.

ROTD: North Star. Firmer than before, but still pretty good.

Ridge Run still pretty good.

Patsies was maybe even better but I got caught up right side in the bike park stuff and had to do some bushwhacking to get out.

Canyon was indeed closed and a friend I saw as I was just getting there told me it was closed due to a blowout. I can verify they were NOT blowing the Cascade Runout but the guns were still on Highline and LEF.

I believe the early bird got the better worm today and that the mountain stiffened up through the day.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 11:05 Guessing Bush got a bit more wet NCP than K last few days as icy as it was compared to last Thursday.
I skied the Bush on Monday 12-4pm. They were getting a wintery mix the whole time I was there. I did 95% of my runs off Heaven's Gate, conditions were pretty good up top. As you point out, conditions were much wetter below Murphy's Glade but it was still warm enough on Monday that it wasn't terrible ... though those lower runs were firming up by the end of the day.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

simpletwist wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 12:23
Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 6th, '23, 11:05 Guessing Bush got a bit more wet NCP than K last few days as icy as it was compared to last Thursday.
I skied the Bush on Monday 12-4pm. They were getting a wintery mix the whole time I was there. I did 95% of my runs off Heaven's Gate, conditions were pretty good up top. As you point out, conditions were much wetter below Murphy's Glade but it was still warm enough on Monday that it wasn't terrible ... though those lower runs were firming up by the end of the day.
At least I got to ski most of it last Thursday ! Win some, lose some.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!