saturday 12/9 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

saturday 12/9 report

Post by skiadikt »

yup hell froze over. with the coming deluge and hearing seats on the ark were all sold out, decided to brave a rare saturday. 8-11 shift. pretty crowded when i left. even the vale lots were full.

warm temps and yes sunshine made for a fabulous morning. soft snow at the bell quickly morphed into hero snow and beyond. at the bell highline and lef were already soft. supe & SL were similar w lark being the groomer of the day. rotd was skye hawk. nice soft bumps. the old supe/middle o combo were serious contenders as well. doubled down.

escapade also excellent. lower cascade has gotten quite ratty. skis never touched the NR. royal flush on the sticky side but still skied well but may not make it through the day. conclusion so good it earned a repeat and included a mandatory water bar jump. vagabond good. thought about GB, but on our drive-by looked to be quite rocky. baton down the hatches as some crazy weather is a coming ...

some friends went to pico. apparently everything off the summit open. might have been a worthwhile call.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Re: saturday 12/9 report

Post by rogman »

Yup, Lower Conclusion was open, requiring an Evil Knievel-esque canyon leap over rushing waters. Heart palpitations or something. Cliff was as boney as a Halloween skeleton. F’it. My skis are delaminating anyway.

Truthfully, everything skied great. Some of the nats just had a suboptimal snow to rock ratio. At some point missing one rock means hitting two others. Whatever, all good. Old Supe to Middle O continued to be great: big soft bumps that beat me up, spit me out, and reminded me of my orthopedic guy’s admonition, “just don’t”, I kinda didn’t very well. It’s all about compromising.

Lower Flush was really good, we hit it early. Looking across to Cascade, it was cooked. Probably closed. No interest. So we immediately rode the Gondi and hit Escapade and a “how bad can it be?” Cascade. Impaired judgment doesn’t have to involve alcohol, sometimes it’s just a habit. Admittedly it looked better from the uphill side, even if it wasn’t, and, well, it wasn’t. I need titanium ski bottoms or better habits.

Spent a good part of the morning skiing with four. He’s a trouper! I wish Killington would figure out putting a terrain park on Mouse Run means the park rats bomb through the tunnels to Caper.

Hopefully the bad parts of tomorrow’s forecast are wrong, and we wake up to a powder day.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 14:29
Hopefully the bad parts of tomorrow’s forecast are wrong, and we wake up to a powder day.
I need some of those drugs you’re on. Monday maybe. Tomorrow? Don’t think so.

PS. Helicopter is gassed up and ready to go. Been too long. 😉
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 13:05
some friends went to pico. apparently everything off the summit open. might have been a worthwhile call.
Yes, minus upper GK and glades.
Summit chair opened at 10:00 and we got there at 10:45.
I thought the ROTD was upper pike, but really it was glorious everywhere. Even 49er skied well today. It's usually skied off and icy by 11, but not today.
Both chars were ski on today as lift lines were non-existent.
Nice work by PSP for opening up the while place. :like
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Thought the crowds were not bad for a Saturday.

Sup pod trails were better than expected. With old sup and middle O the winners.

Lapped Highline like 5 times. Found SBF and tricks around noon for some patsies and tin man runs. Ok but sticky.

Great bear nice up top but very thin over the tunnel.

Low rider was open, but did not try it. In the canyon everything skied great except for LEF for me.

Ended the day on Catwalk with a nice sunset. Good day.
IMG_0495.jpeg
IMG_0495.jpeg (948.88 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Pico Report: Probably couldn' go wrong picking K or Pico today but figured Pico would have way less traffic.

Only run down from Golden chair was Fools Gold over to Pike. Could ski Lower Pike to complete the 'groomed' lap off Golden if you wished.

Everything, including Giant Killer open from the top on natural snow except for some manmade snow on 49'er. Everything skied great. Similar to K, the highest elevations had a bit of crust from the second "wet snow base builder" storm that disappated into a fantastic cream cheese as you continued down.

ROTD: Probably Sunset 71. Summit glades excellent as well. And yes, the manmade groomer train [49'er] was excellent with off-piste right side in play.

Did not do Giant Killer as I heard there were large weed patches on it that were not very skiable.

Fun HH at Baja Burrito !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!