Poaching

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Poaching

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Dec 11th, '23, 21:54 How was the poaching today?

Anyone trashed Needles yet?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
with the way the wind was blowing last night i expect the left side of vertigo headwall to be pretty lit. unfortunately though, im not looking to get sent to the gulag for ending up on snowshed crossover. as much as i wanna see for myself...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

asher2789 wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 09:25
easyrider16 wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 18:08
asher2789 wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 17:31 also, its always been 'wealthy' yet up until covid always had space nearby for the working class to make a life here. if it werent for my extremely lucky rental situation that ive been at for years now, id long be gone.
Sure. Just lucky, huh?

Nobody is entitled to a seat at the table. There's still plenty of space for working class to make a life around Killington. The prices of real estate close to the mountain have gone up, that's true. But there's still plenty of affordable real estate just down the road in Rutland. If that's too far of a drive to you, I have no sympathy. I live and work around Boston because that's where the high-paying jobs are. I do that not because I love the city, but so I can afford to come to Killington on the weekends and pursue my passion. If I have to sacrifice to make this work, why should people like you get it for less?
asher2789 wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 17:31 i think a mistake is being made here, looking at this in a vacuum and ignoring the larger picture. ski 'police', outrageous prices for everything from lift tickets to lessons to beers, the eventual shift (once the village gets underway) to remote parking lots and paid parking closer, its pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that they want to attract a certain clientele at the expense of the current clientele. dont be surprised when the spring party vibes get the shift too.
Supply and demand. So long as people are paying those prices, Killington will keep charging them. Killington is not a charity designed to benefit people who can't afford a certain recreational activity. But for those who can't afford it, there are plenty of other options around New England. Try Canon, Gunstock, Saskadena Six, Whaleback, Mad River Glen, etc. I think it's foolish to expect one of the premier resorts in the area to cater to people who can't afford it.
and this is that f*** attitude i f*** hate.

WHO MAKES IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SKI?! WHO BUILDS YOUR LIFTS? WHO BUILDS YOUR LODGES? WHO SERVES YOUR DRINKS? WHO WATCHES YOUR KIDS? WHO CLEANS YOUR VACATION RENTAL? WHO BLOWS YOUR SNOW AND GROOMS IT? WHO SLEDS YOU DOWN THE MOUNTAIN WHEN YOU ARE HURT?

if im not entitled to make a life here working to make these things possible, youre not entitled to enjoy them. again my point all along for years now. your vacation is not possible without us.

And your job is not possible without us. Get over yourself.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Eddytheyetti wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 19:02 I am pretty sure if you spend enough at the K1 Bar they won’t pull your pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the person with the highest ongoing bar tab in probably the history of killington was asked to not come back a few years ago due to their drunken misbehavior and harassment of management. pretty impressive if you ask me...
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

daytripper wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 09:37
asher2789 wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 17:31 also, its always been 'wealthy' yet up until covid always had space nearby for the working class to make a life here. if it werent for my extremely lucky rental situation that ive been at for years now, id long be gone.
Sure. Just lucky, huh?

Nobody is entitled to a seat at the table. There's still plenty of space for working class to make a life around Killington. The prices of real estate close to the mountain have gone up, that's true. But there's still plenty of affordable real estate just down the road in Rutland. If that's too far of a drive to you, I have no sympathy. I live and work around Boston because that's where the high-paying jobs are. I do that not because I love the city, but so I can afford to come to Killington on the weekends and pursue my passion. If I have to sacrifice to make this work, why should people like you get it for less?
asher2789 wrote: Dec 10th, '23, 17:31 i think a mistake is being made here, looking at this in a vacuum and ignoring the larger picture. ski 'police', outrageous prices for everything from lift tickets to lessons to beers, the eventual shift (once the village gets underway) to remote parking lots and paid parking closer, its pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that they want to attract a certain clientele at the expense of the current clientele. dont be surprised when the spring party vibes get the shift too.
Supply and demand. So long as people are paying those prices, Killington will keep charging them. Killington is not a charity designed to benefit people who can't afford a certain recreational activity. But for those who can't afford it, there are plenty of other options around New England. Try Canon, Gunstock, Saskadena Six, Whaleback, Mad River Glen, etc. I think it's foolish to expect one of the premier resorts in the area to cater to people who can't afford it.

WHO MAKES IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SKI?! WHO BUILDS YOUR LIFTS? WHO BUILDS YOUR LODGES? WHO SERVES YOUR DRINKS? WHO WATCHES YOUR KIDS? WHO CLEANS YOUR VACATION RENTAL? WHO BLOWS YOUR SNOW AND GROOMS IT? WHO SLEDS YOU DOWN THE MOUNTAIN WHEN YOU ARE HURT?

if im not entitled to make a life here working to make these things possible, youre not entitled to enjoy them. again my point all along for years now. your vacation is not possible without us.

cant have workers if they have nowhere to live. its not about me. its about the ongoing class warfare where the wealthy forget who makes their lives possible.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

asher2789 wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 09:38
Sure. Just lucky, huh?

cant have workers if they have nowhere to live. its not about me. its about the ongoing class warfare where the wealthy forget who makes their lives possible.
Plenty of places to live in Rutland.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Sure. Just lucky, huh?

Do you feel supply and demand is not a real factor in what Killington charges and also pays their staff?

If enough people stopped paying $16.75 for a Fiddlehead (I won't pay that) then they would lower the pricing. If people didn't pay for premier parking (I don't) they would lower the price or eliminate it. If nobody paid $26 for a cheeseburger (I don't) then they would lower pricing. If enough people stopped working for them at the prevailing wages, they would increase wages.

I believe everyone should be entitled to make a living - that living isn't always going to be exactly where we want to live - in this case, I'm sure Killington knows there is a large desire to live in a resort area so they can get away with paying employees somewhat less because someone will do it.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Sure. Just lucky, huh?

I wonder if the guy who mows Steve Spielberg's lawn thinks he should be able to live in Beverly Hills.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Pedro wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 12:25

Sure. Just lucky, huh?

I wonder if the guy who mows Steve Spielberg's lawn thinks he should be able to live in Beverly Hills.
The guy who mow's Spielberg's lawn probably does live in Beverly Hills . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
SPORE

Post by SPORE »

Sure. Just lucky, huh?

Back to your regularly scheduled rant on where you're entitled to live. :violin
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

So back to poaching- anyone go out to coops lately? Granted not talking about ducking west glades rope if it is up but we have some friends that haven’t been to K that want to see it but noticed that new patrol shack with a sign saying “smile your on camera”, along with this talk of rfid tracking or whatnot I have second thoughts!
Ski It If You Can!..
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Killington_Lover wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 12:47 So back to poaching- anyone go out to coops lately? Granted not talking about ducking west glades rope if it is up but we have some friends that haven’t been to K that want to see it but noticed that new patrol shack with a sign saying “smile your on camera”, along with this talk of rfid tracking or whatnot I have second thoughts!
It has been skiable for three weeks now. Took patrol awhile to rope the entrance. Still a camera free zone. Honor the last chance pink boundary tape out in the woods and you will be fine.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Is it actually against the rules to leave the resort there? I understand why they have the rope so people don’t think it’s a trail or part of the resort, But Is that considered a poach if patrol sees you doing it? Seems no different than hiking up to the peak to take a look around?

Maybe one of the patrollers who I am sure have been enjoying this thread can chime in and give us an official word. We know we won’t get a warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skid Mark
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Skid Mark »

Thank you morons who poached the Canyon earlier this year. Now I'm afraid to duck ropes on harmless stretches of trail for fear of losing my pass. Boooooooo!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

asher2789 wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 09:25 and this is that f*** attitude i f*** hate.

Likewise, I hate your attitude. I did not say I was entitled to anything. I pay for my way and I am not complaining about it. You're the one complaining and acting as if you're entitled to something (ie cheap housing in town).

And my vacation is absolutely possible without you. There are plenty of other people around who are willing to take my money, and I really don't need to do business with you.

On the other hand, your life in the mountains getting to ski regularly is absolutely not possible without me. I subsidize your town services, paying taxes you don't without consuming as many services as someone who lives there full time. I pay for passes which allows the mountain to operate, put in new lifts, etc. I even pay local vendors and service providers, and without me good luck finding anyone in town to do your plumbing, your plowing, your roofing, etc. There would also be no restaurants or nightlife in town without me and people like me.

You can thank me whenever you're ready.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Inasmuch as I disagree withER in many ways?…. He’s balls on accurate here….jUST like our Mona Lisa DeVito…..