The Freerider

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

boston_e
Postaholic

The Freerider

Post by boston_e »

I didn't even know Hops on the Hill was gone...

https://thefreeriderkillington.com/?fbc ... kGPn5BOTx4
Don't Killington Pico
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Re: The Freerider

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

$18 for wings? Nope.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Going out to eat in Killington is pricey for sure - a quick scan of online menus - Rivershed and Charities wings are $16, Caseys Caboose is $17, Jax and Lookout come in the lowest at $15 - so $18 does not seem super out of line with the competition.

I'll give them a try sometime.
Don't Killington Pico
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Sigh. I remember fondly the days of free Happy Hour wings.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Access road restaurant pricing has gone way up without delivering a very good product. I would describe 95% of the restaurants on the access road to be average at best in terms of meal quality. My crew is dining in more and more as it's become much harder to justify spending a lot on such mediocre fare.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 17:09 Access road restaurant pricing has gone way up without delivering a very good product. I would describe 95% of the restaurants on the access road to be average at best in terms of meal quality. My crew is dining in more and more as it's become much harder to justify spending a lot on such mediocre fare.
Groceries are up 20% in the last three years. Wages are up to, so those $18 wings were more like $13 three years ago.

The menu looks good so I'll give them a shot.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 17:09 Access road restaurant pricing has gone way up without delivering a very good product. I would describe 95% of the restaurants on the access road to be average at best in terms of meal quality. My crew is dining in more and more as it's become much harder to justify spending a lot on such mediocre fare.
I think most of the main places on the access road in general give a reasonably good product - Rivershed and Sushi Yoshi are are most frequented… although we too tend to eat in most of the time (especially in the heart of the season) - saves money and avoids the crowds.
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

boston_e wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 18:44 I think most of the main places on the access road in general give a reasonably good product - Rivershed and Sushi Yoshi are are most frequented… although we too tend to eat in most of the time (especially in the heart of the season) - saves money and avoids the crowds.
Yeah that's the problem - I'm not up for paying $100-150 for a dinner for two for a "reasonably good product" - and often times that product is a disappointment. Rivershed is a good example - some of their fare is decent, but I've been disappointed by the product on more than one occasion. Sushi-Yoshi I think is the most consistent place on the mountain with slightly above-average product on a regular basis. Almost everywhere else, excluding maybe the Lookout and Garlic, is really hit or miss. Some nights, great, other nights, bleh.

I get it. It's a tourist trap area and the restaurants in place have a bit of an oligopoly. Like most restaurants with prime location, they don't have to try as hard to produce good food on a consistent basis because there will always be new customers even if their product is slightly sub par. Hopefully this new place can set the standard a bit higher, but we'll see.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 20th, '23, 09:13
boston_e wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 18:44 I think most of the main places on the access road in general give a reasonably good product - Rivershed and Sushi Yoshi are are most frequented… although we too tend to eat in most of the time (especially in the heart of the season) - saves money and avoids the crowds.
Yeah that's the problem - I'm not up for paying $100-150 for a dinner for two for a "reasonably good product" - and often times that product is a disappointment. Rivershed is a good example - some of their fare is decent, but I've been disappointed by the product on more than one occasion. Sushi-Yoshi I think is the most consistent place on the mountain with slightly above-average product on a regular basis. Almost everywhere else, excluding maybe the Lookout and Garlic, is really hit or miss. Some nights, great, other nights, bleh.

I get it. It's a tourist trap area and the restaurants in place have a bit of an oligopoly. Like most restaurants with prime location, they don't have to try as hard to produce good food on a consistent basis because there will always be new customers even if their product is slightly sub par. Hopefully this new place can set the standard a bit higher, but we'll see.
I can’t say I personally have ever been disappointed at Rivershed but I also almost never go to eat during the peak of ski season when things are their busiest…. Maybe when things are busier is when the quality is more likely to lapse.
Don't Killington Pico
Fluffhead
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Fluffhead »

Hops will be a tough act to follow. Meanwhile, the Sunrise Cafe has completely turned it around from the debacle last year. New chef and team in the kitchen are great. Much improved beer and wine offerings at reasonable prices.