Tuesday, Dec 26

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Tuesday, Dec 26

Post by rogman »

[Part 1]Out briefly. Expect to go out again later with four, nine, and ten, pending their arrival. The short version: Sunny good, shade bad, but I expect time will change that. Opening run down an it’s always Sunny at Bear skyeclaw, bearburst, with a smidgen of viper pit, was a Philly cream cheese with graham cracker crumb cheesecake delight. Second run, a “groomed” Bittersweet high was a reality check. It wasn’t groomed. For some people this accuracy stuff matters. A lot. I’ll leave it at that. We returned to Bear. Cool fog in the valleys though.
IMG_5348.jpeg
IMG_5348.jpeg (469.96 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Tuesday, Dec 26

Post by skiadikt »

mostly sunny start to the day with fog in the distant valleys and warming temps. quite pretty. 8-11 shift.

2nd chair on the spq. we were surprised at how things had "set up" compared to the past 3 days. good flat & fast - more like "cream cheese" that maybe spent some time in the freezer. did a couple laps on both the bear route and cruise. ultimately sent us packing to snowdon searching for softer snow. dropped into upper bitter, which was not groomed, so climbed outa there. upper skye lark was good while lower, more in the shade, was still firmish with icey patches.

snowdon, which as it turned was much softer, skied very well. highline was not groomed, and was reported as not being a do-over at least at that hour. maybe better later. LEF with more traffic and sitting in the sun was good. surprised the canyon chair wasn't running during a holiday week. did nothing in the NR as we saw UEF was closed for racing and we have skied enough rimes to last a season.

the supe HW was "challenging". mid skied quite well. almost like they did an extra groom. preston's was it's usual self. high road to the skyeship was good. cruise & claw/burst were much softer than they were at 8 am, bordering on hero snow, even with the occasional sticky spot.

with the sun and the warming temps, expect the afternoon shift to have gotten more worms. nonetheless overall a good morning.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 9 with the coral reef bitter warm up.

Bear softer with the KMS peeps in full gear.

By 10:30 spring had sprung. Lapped Highline and LeF many times.

Great peak bar with Stella. Gotta love the tuna tacos.

ROTD Downdraft headwall. Hit that a few times.

K1 bar at 3:15 and called it a day.

Looking for NYE ideas as the distillery is not having one this year. Susan’s? Wobbly?
IMG_0573.jpeg
IMG_0573.jpeg (340.19 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

[Part 2]Headed back out about 2:30 with Apres Ski All Star, nine, and ten. We lapped the Bear Run because they liked the bump line below the entrance to the Stash. I was more in the “spirit is willing but the flesh is weak” camp. They dusted me. Viper Pit was by this time a miserable experience for those who mistakenly thought they were experts, or were told they were by sadistic friends. It has been worse but gotta get Bearly open. Finally coerced nine and ten into a Bitter run to the SS lift. It was even more ungroomed than it was earlier this morning (dammit K, fix the report) It was also looking a little threadbare. If this weather keeps up (above 50 in the afternoon) it’s going to be tough to keep terrain open. However, what they have is pretty good. Just need to keep it together a little longer. SS looked late afternoon lethal from the chair. Not tempted, even a little. Bear bar was open, no music, austerity measure apparently, it had been scheduled. Beer is cheaper there, btw.
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

Rogman , 4 post’s about today , and two are from you , maybe take a deep breath and let someone else get a crack at it , you’re not as important as you think you are
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Did the morning shift at Pico which was soft up top and firm below. Last few runs on a still fresh groomed B slope, sweet cream cheese as you have said.
Afternoon at K, for the bumpers...
- DD, Rime, LEF
- DD, Rime, ski out to Highline
Rinse repeat!
BTW, they took the charging station away from the Peak Lodge.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Bayfive wrote: Dec 26th, '23, 20:54 Rogman , 4 post’s about today, and two are from you, maybe take a deep breath and let someone else get a crack at it , you’re not as important as you think you are
So 4 posts (now 5) on conditions, weather, crowds, etc with photos constitutes unavoidable unbearable overload for you? Methinks you need to take the deep breath.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Can the person in charge of the trail report please change Upper Bittersweet from groomed to ungroomed. It isn’t apparent at the decision point, and someone’s ski day ended abruptly when they fell due to the conditions on that trail. Their choice to ski it was based on that condition report. Details matter. Apparently i was too subtle in my initial report.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It should have been groomed if at all possible, and the report needs to be more accurate, but there was a thin cover sign at the decision point where Great Eastern splits off, and it was clear that it wasn't groomed.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Mister Moose wrote: Dec 26th, '23, 23:00
Bayfive wrote: Dec 26th, '23, 20:54 Rogman , 4 post’s about today, and two are from you, maybe take a deep breath and let someone else get a crack at it , you’re not as important as you think you are
So 4 posts (now 5) on conditions, weather, crowds, etc with photos constitutes unavoidable unbearable overload for you? Methinks you need to take the deep breath.
Since I’ve joined Kzone I’ve only put one poster on “ignore” but I believe a 2nd person will soon get that honor also (they don’t post anymore under that previous handle, so I’m starting to feel Bayfive could be the same person).

Just so you know Bayfive, if something is labeled “Part 1”, there will then be a subsequent “Part 2”…
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Im still waiting for part 3 of this trilogy tbh...
pepperdawg
Black Carver

Post by pepperdawg »

Bayfive wrote: Dec 26th, '23, 20:54 Rogman , 4 post’s about today , and two are from you , maybe take a deep breath and let someone else get a crack at it , you’re not as important as you think you are
^^ I see little people

Rogman is a good man so STFU

Free da dis dammit....
-Woof
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I enjoy his posts. I have to live vicariously through folks who take the time to write it all out.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Same Old, Same Old, but pretty good in places. I guess I should tell myself there won't be anything new to ski for a while !

ROTD: Highline. Getting rock'ier by the minute.

Cruise Control good, but not like past coupla days. Believe what I found there was similar to a lot of the "blue squares"; mostly hacked up vs any skied in lines. Must be holiday week!

Best Bumps: As someone noted earlier, Gateway just below the Stash entrance. Can't believe I'm giving Kudos to Gateway but that short section was really good.

Bittersweet [not groomed I believe] was OK and worth a do-over. Getting thin as well.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!