friday 1/5 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 1/5 report

Post by skiadikt »

pretty sure today was the coldest day of the season. 8 degrees at the peak at 10am. mercifully wind wasn't a factor and there was some sun to warm the proceedings. when there's double center row parking in bay 5, you have a decent crowd. 9-1:15 shift.

overall good skiing. for the 5th day in a row highline was the highlight - rotd. maybe roty and that's wearing the blackest glasses possible. hit it at the bell and it was as close as we get to western skiing. velvety soft manmade on top of the groomed surface (left side). many repeats. worked our way over into the developing bumps (right) and that was great as well as the guns were mostly dry. wound up w a 7 spot there. did get crowded at times.

as for the rest of the mtn, the cold limited our activity a bit as we stuck mostly to the enclosed lifts. thought the bear was the best except for the pit which while covered "enough" is still rather slick. cruise skied pretty well. no big thrill but they did open GE around the vista view. the supe lift had a delayed start so supe wasn't a skating rink went we hit it. pretty decent actually. lark also good. upper bitter ok but on the firm side. did not hit either lower lark or bitter. hit LEF in the afternoon and held up well enough. the expected flat, hard and fast.
Last edited by skiadikt on Jan 5th, '24, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: friday 1/5 report

Post by MrsG »

Was typing at same time as skiadikt;)

Finally made it to the other side thanks to Killington not having an Ambassador at top of Snowshed to inform skiers/riders that Superstar was not running! Conditions still variable including ice marbles and some slick but mostly good. Gondi to Chute nicely covered. Bunny/MT/Chute great. East Fall nice but no Canyon lift. Gateway to Bear ok, some useless guns on area already covered! Bitter not as good as yesterday. Skipped Sup - did not want to get stuck doing schlep again! Snowshed to shuttle ok, but Highroad to top of Snowshed ice marbles and slick spots!
Bring on the natural!
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

skiadict is correct that Highline at the open was ROTY, at least so far from me. I was also thinking as I carved down the center that this felt like snow I have experienced in Colorado bowls. Easily some of the best man made snow I've skied in years. Worth multiple laps. While it did lose the spectacular surface as the morning went on, it remained the ROTD. After the College Week arrived mid-morning I was treated to one of them snowplowing down the center of Highline without making a single turn.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

fwiw, hit Mohawk for a few runs (nursing injuries) snow making turned out a nice product, good conditions around the mountain with more
terrain set to open. felt great to be on snow! thx for the the ongoing reports from K!
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

Hey mrs G since you didn’t take a job at K like I hoped you would have to help deal with all the wonderful 100 day club members maybe become a ambassador you certainly know a lot about the mountain and that Knowledge would be greatly appreciated
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

PinnacleJim wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 16:23 skiadict is correct that Highline at the open was ROTY, at least so far from me. I was also thinking as I carved down the center that this felt like snow I have experienced in Colorado bowls. Easily some of the best man made snow I've skied in years. Worth multiple laps. While it did lose the spectacular surface as the morning went on, it remained the ROTD. After the College Week arrived mid-morning I was treated to one of them snowplowing down the center of Highline without making a single turn.
Highline better be ROTY right now with how much time they have spent on it!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

PinnacleJim wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 16:23 I was also thinking as I carved down the center that this felt like snow I have experienced in Colorado bowls. Easily some of the best man made snow I've skied in years. Worth multiple laps.
K3000s in the cold. The best snow money can buy. Yeah, it was so good I had to stop and check.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

The requirement or the weather temp and humidity can determine what the slidability of man made snow wiil be . Snow that is too dry or too wet is sticky. Base snow gets blown and it's too sticky. Sunday was perfect blown snow on Highline. That was a 9 peat in the sun.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

daytripper wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 17:27
PinnacleJim wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 16:23 skiadict is correct that Highline at the open was ROTY, at least so far from me. I was also thinking as I carved down the center that this felt like snow I have experienced in Colorado bowls. Easily some of the best man made snow I've skied in years. Worth multiple laps. While it did lose the spectacular surface as the morning went on, it remained the ROTD. After the College Week arrived mid-morning I was treated to one of them snowplowing down the center of Highline without making a single turn.
Highline Mogul Challenge this year - rack it
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 20:36
Tired of hearing about a trail that will be closed to everyone but the $$$ in a few days. Move on, it was nice while it lasted, but “closed for race training” is what the future holds.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Bubble at 3:35 to make it a legal day.

Glad I had the race skis on.

Highline rotd again.

K1 bar fun. Good to meet DudeGFY at the bar.

Yoshi dinner with Boozetan and some of the pinnacle crew.

Looks like another flat and fast day for Saturday.
Attachments
IMG_0630.jpeg
IMG_0630.jpeg (585.17 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

rogman wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 21:26
Tired of hearing about a trail that will be closed to everyone but the $$$ in a few days. Move on, it was nice while it lasted, but “closed for race training” is what the future holds.
You might want to add Needles closed for race training while you are at it.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

rogman wrote: Jan 5th, '24, 21:26

Just have to hit it first, before they shut it down . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Cold yes. Wind that was increased through the day. Highline guns were not dry in the afternoon. No sun with K cloud working it's magic [forecast I saw was clearing in the afternoon]. So, very different than morning shift it seems. Didn't seem as crowded to me as the day before.

ROTD: Highline. Only downside was that I was expecting to be able to ski right under the guns but there were not dry enough.

Loco Heart Attack Info: Not many guns going and were shutting Highline guns off late in the day. I am guessing they were blowing Easy Street but don't know for sure. Other than that, Highline and Anti-Venom were only guns we saw "ON". With that said, how do you read the K report re: Hundreds of Active Staged guns ? Guns have been 'staged' on Needle's Eye and Wildfire for quite some time now; are they counting them? At any rate, seemed to me like another lost opportunity on a very cold day. And why shutting down Highline at end of the day? Power curtailment? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Other than Highline, flat and fast most places we skied. Cruise Control was a bit better; good to see they improved on it. Top 2/3 of Viper Pit a hockey rink with associated carnage at the bottom. LEF same as it has been with some beach sluff to turn on as you get lower. Canyon Chair WAS running [not that many people were riding it].

Honorable Mention: The Upper Double Dipper "not many bumps" line was pretty good and if nothing else, a taste of nat. Also, they finally groomed out the November ice bumps on Lower Rime.

First viewing [for me at least] of the new Safety Patrol. 5 of them standing around doing not much of anything at the Bottom of Skyeburst near the Bear Lodge. I am much more concerned about the more narrow trails, but at least they were out !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!