sunday 1/7 report (pico)

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 1/7 report (pico)

Post by skiadikt »

made the executive not to deal with the pass, access rd, parking, crowds and general mayhem at k and went to pico. similar snow total to k w continuing sideways snow, cold and very windy. when we left just after 11, the main parking lot was pretty much full, yet there were no to minimal liftlines and that was w the summit on wind-hold. not sure how's that's possible. 8:30-11 shift.

would have loved to ski the summit, but getting wind strafed on the golden was painful enough. the triple not as bad. hit everything on the lower mtn. at the bell, trax on both fools/pike and b slope (multiple times). b cutoff and particularly c slope had zero traffic. refresh stuck in the on position. just the usual low stress, relaxing morning at pico.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: sunday 1/7 report (pico)

Post by MrsG »

Snow at K was very nice and seemed like more than reported. Lift issues caused some long lines, so along with MrG still nursing calf, and line issues - another short, but great morning! Think a lot of good skiers came over to Snowshed and Cruise to steal the powder, but I got my full - fluff, and plenty of it. Curious to hear how crazy it got! Went out to clean my car off and move for plow, and it got covered before I could finish! Sweet!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out around 9:15. Thought it would have been a zoo. Out with two skier chicks.

Sup chair looked full but was 4 min. Old sup first run nice.
Found lots of pow turns skiers left.

Skiergirl liked bittersweet and old sup. Highline skiers right very nice. Northstar not bad. Great bear left nice.

Up top power line , west glade not bad. Never did LEf.

Peak for lunch was the new upscale ramen.

Over at Bear some goodness accompanied with glacial ice.
Lots o peeps at 1:30.

Surprise runs of the day we’re helter skelter,pipe dream, panic button and the bitter headwall. Nice to have some new terrain.

Called it at 4. Good day. A little more white stuff will almost make it normal.
Attachments
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg (689.43 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

ROTD - multiple laps on Conclusion....I am pretty sure most of them were legal.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mother Nature, MIA for the last month except to lash the Northeast with a pair of childish mega-tantrums, finally delivered. All is forgiven, even if it is to cynically remain on her good side. Somehow the lifties made it in and got the equipment shoveled out and operating, and mostly on time (although I heard there was a delay on the Bubble).

As per Killington tradition, the primary runs were tracked out by 8:20. However, the blower powder proved surprisingly resilient, and continued to deliver throughout the day. An early rope drop on Upper Wild Fire revealed how little substance there was to the snow, it required a light touch and a careful choice of where to turn. It was like navigating a channel with shifting shoals and unmarked rocks. Awe hell, all skis are rock skis on a powder day.

Both Upper Skyeburst and Lower WIldfire were under the guns; both appeared to be coming along nicely, the stream on Lower Wildfire was easily bridged, usually a bit of a challenge that requires a cat to move snow into it. On upper Skyeburst, looked like a slide had occurred on the headwall, just below the “permanent” gun on skiers right. The rocks, center left on that same face were also exposed; a snow maker walking the line repositioned a gun to bury them. Not all heroes wear capes.

Only one run down into Needles. Took the chair to god only knows where out, not a fan of stage 2 which was busy. Elsewhere, old supe was already done when we hit it. You can’t get first tracks everywhere. Passed on middle O. Highline, already yesterdays news, was meh. Upper Flush was wind blown, had the same amount of snow as before the storm. Saw Northstar was open with thin cover; not even a little tempted. Vagabond was closed. Wasted trip up from the completely full at the corral bubble.

KIllington consistently under reported snow totals throughout the day, snow report says 8”, I’d guess it was closer to 12”. High winds at elevation may have affected the measurement. Low water content, so the difference isn’t all that much.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: An improvement if nothing else. Good to see some real snow ! Missed most of the crowds on our 1:45 - 4:20 shift but in part that was due to where we chose to go.

Parked at Vale and down to RH. ROTD: Caught the rope drop on Middle/Upper Header. Not sure why they didn't open the topmost part? Also not sure why they didn't open Timberline. Header was completely trashed on our next lift ride up.

Over to Snowdon to an overflowing corral at the bubble, so went back down to RH and through the tunnel to get "south". High Road pretty good in places.

The main open run to Bear was pretty good with the very nice Shorty option in play. Anti-Venom was good but tough viz and choppy bumps serving up the normal herb sh*t show. Lower Skyeburst also good with lots of glaze between the bumps but the bumps were soft enough, for the most part, to make it enjoyable [and even a repeat].

Skipped Needle's Eye as I figured it would be better next day [Monday] and wanted to get back to Snowdon where the masses had mostly cleared. Highline still good either side. Conclusion [open at the time] was a "glad I did it" but not a repeat. I think it is back to being closed today [Monday]. North Star was a bit better but very rocky in the normal 3 or 4 places.

Very good up in North Ridge with Upper DD left side line sweet. Ridge Run probably best of the nats re: cover except for Header. Agree with RM that Upper Royal Flush wasn't any different after the storm [very thin cover].

Fun day and nice Happy Hour with Merissa at Baja !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!