The Black and Red Vests

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Bob
Postinator

Re: The Black and Red Vests

Post by Big Bob »

I saw one hiding behind the slow banner at the top of Lower Chute when riding up the bubble.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Big Bob wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 21:05 I saw one hiding behind the slow banner at the top of Lower Chute when riding up the bubble.
Not exactly World Hide n’ Seek championship material is it. If you run into them do you get to pick any prize from the bottom shelf?

For the record, I am glad Killington is doing this, but I don’t expect it to be effective. Hope I am wrong.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

CRR321 wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 13:30
makemoreturns wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 11:09 Weird how “they look fat and out of shape” isn’t considered mean-spirited on this forum.
Right?! No one looks great in a uniform when you’re also wearing a chest pack with a radio.

I know two of them, and know who a 3rd is. The two I know (and I just know them- I’m not a close friend going to bat for them) are incredible skiers, very accomplished professionally/academically, and top notch people.
It was a particularly dumb comment from a regular contributor of pretty dumb comments. I don't really see why these folks need to be in great shape or even be great skiers. Their job is to tell a*holes to stop skiing like a*holes. I imagine that's being done in places that are green or blue trails, not anywhere that it takes great skill to ski. And it's not like they have to arrest people or run down criminals. If someone rabbits on them, they have radios, and in any case I'm not sure a high-speed ski chase is what anyone wants.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

SPORE wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 15:01 Let's see them actually address the problem group on the mountain - until then its just lip sevice.
They will never discipline their little KMS darlings....even though they are BY FAR the biggest offenders skiing like assholes on the hill. I have had them nearly clip me more than a few times....
I wish they and skiers in general really would realize that boarders are pretty much blind on their heelside. Passing us without a heads up, on your left on your right, is really dangerous, especially when they do it close to the edge of a trail.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

BoozeTan wrote: Jan 12th, '24, 12:42
SPORE wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 15:01 Let's see them actually address the problem group on the mountain - until then its just lip sevice.
They will never discipline their little KMS darlings....even though they are BY FAR the biggest offenders skiing like assholes on the hill. I have had them nearly clip me more than a few times....
I wish they and skiers in general really would realize that boarders are pretty much blind on their heelside. Passing us without a heads up, on your left on your right, is really dangerous, especially when they do it close to the edge of a trail.
Agree on the KMS brats, and I've even tried to speak with one of their coaches when their charges were skiing on Rams Head using casual skiers as moveable gates. He ignored me, looking at me like I had two heads.

As for passing snowboarders, I've always been more careful when approaching riders from the rear. I've also used "front side" or "back side" so they know where I am, depending of course on what their riding position is.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bubba wrote: Jan 12th, '24, 13:07
BoozeTan wrote: Jan 12th, '24, 12:42
Agree on the KMS brats, and I've even tried to speak with one of their coaches when their charges were skiing on Rams Head using casual skiers as moveable gates. He ignored me, looking at me like I had two heads.

As for passing snowboarders, I've always been more careful when approaching riders from the rear. I've also used "front side" or "back side" so they know where I am, depending of course on what their riding position is.

Last year, my 6-year-old was hit by a snowboarder and sent to the ER with a concussion.

2 weeks later, an older gentleman took me out from behind on East Fall.

It should be a requirement for snowboarders and older skiers to take mountain competency exams. They are dangerous. I haven't been hit by a KMS kid yet, though with 300 athletes in the program Skiing fast, I could see how that might scare some folks.