Friday 1/12

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Friday 1/12

Post by RustyK »

Out at the bell with GIS on K1 to LEF. Nice right side.
Bright sunshine and 2” of light pow.

South ridge exploring on upper pipe dream had nothing opened lower. Over to needles, long line due to cabins coming up from the bottom. Thimble nice though.

Skyburst very nice with some guns. Wildfire still firm.

Tried Great eastern to the bottom. Mistake. Hardest run of the day. Will be tough for the beginner’s tomorrow.
Needs more snow and grooming. Lodge not even near completion. Be surprised if it opens this season.

Couple of Sups and K1 to meet Powday, Rogman,Doria and the G’s. Quick lunch and off to the rotd escapade to cascade.

Old Sup ok, but crunchy. Never made it to north ridge.

Good day for a few pow turns.
Where is Happy Hour ?
rogman
Postinator

Re: Friday 1/12

Post by rogman »

Killington with some help from Mother Nature is now set up for an awesome holiday weekend. Hopefully tonight will pile on a bit more snow and give us a powder day.

Lots of great skiing all over. Highlights were Upper Skyeburst under the guns, as well as Needles which now has much better coverage. Thimble/Chunnel earned a late day repeat, and Escapade to Cascade under the guns was sweet as well.

I avenged my Lower Royal Flush fiasco of yesterday and had a nice run down the left side in the sunshine. However, finding the rope drops on South Ridge (Breakaway, Jug, and Jug Handle), was the icing on the cake. Hoping Killington will see fit to run the South RIdge Quad this weekend. Just do it! I need a place to hide!

Today also saw the debut of GE and Skyeship Stage 1, and truthfully, Great Eastern got rattier and rattier at the lower elevations. I’d forgotten just how long that trail is. The base lodge isn’t open, but I saw furniture inside so I assume it’s close. Anyway, with some deep cold coming in following tonight’s storm, they should be able to sort it out in short order. The Phazors are deployed and they do an impressive job in cold weather; not so much in marginal temps they were used in, in my opinion.

Also enjoyed a couple of runs after 3:40 with nine and eleven (The skier formally known as ten), and their father. I’m exhausted just thinking about chasing them all over the mountain this weekend.