monday 1/15 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

monday 1/15 report

Post by skiadikt »

brrrrr. the new coldest day of the season. 10 degrees at the peak a bit after noon. fortunately, except when she hid, there was enough sun to warm the proceedings a bit. supe lift frigid. bear balmy by comparison. nowhere near yesterday's mayhem but pretty good size crowd on hand. 8-12:30 shift.

after capering over to the bubble, opened on upper bunny skier's right. gotd. trap and lower chute, their usual flat, fast selves. in general everything very firm. after that moved into "powder" seeking mode. didn't find as much as we hoped for. very little seconds from yesterday's squalls. guessing it was all in the trees.

upper north star rattled some fillings. vagabond maybe even good. surprisingly upper flush was groomed. will call the rest of flush a mixed bag. think the capt'n would call it technical eastern skiing. some good turns and some not so good. however every nat is well covered. pipedream skier's right had enough pow to make it fun. no chair though.

again surprisingly mid-dream groomed. would have been much better if they left it au naturale. shorty was ok. upper wildfire very hard bumps. needed edges on lower WF. lower burst quite good. cruise ok. vertigo open ttb and skied reasonably well though crusty in spots. the snowcone area off the xover was filled in. the lower section was groomed. no needles chair made it difficult to ski there.

old supe very good - a rotd candidate. mid supe ok and preston's the usual. bitter decent. closed out on escapade>flume. escapade was shockingly good. rotd.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: monday 1/15 report

Post by Mister Moose »

20240115_122350.jpg
20240115_122350.jpg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
A varied mix of slick with sugar to rubble base under the half caff snow, to fun crisperoy first thing in am. Managed to find some Trax skiadict & Crewe left for me.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yo moose, combed the mtn in search of something that looked like that. hope u didn't you get your pass pulled for poaching :-). snowshed?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Wasn't really excited about going out, but did anyway. Expected very icy conditions and the mountain delivered on that.

Warmup Royal Flush; Upper OK [believe it had been groomed as SA posted] and Lower was more porcelin than anything. ETS for sure.

Upper Double Dip SA line OK; nothing special. UEF OK. Ridge Run had also been groomed and boring, but decent. 1st half of Powerline was like it had been groomed; great cover and icier on second half. Back up NR to ski Downdraft under the guns; WHY THE F WASN'T THIS OPEN? PROBABLY BEST RUN ON THE MOUNTAIN. Didn't want to duck the rope so did Cascade -> Escapade -> Flume. Flume was very icy all the way down.

Thimble icy but OK. Chunnel icy. Right side Needle's Eye best thing I had found so far and Lower Stitchline even better. Next two runs were Panic [quite good actually] -> Stitch. Could feel it getting icier each run though I think there were only two of us skiing it. Close to ROTD.

Bittersweet, incl. the old HW, OK and easy to get speed up for crossing past K1.

ROTD: Low Rider. Great cover and quite icy. Butt, it is what it is.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadkt, I don't think there's anyplace on Showshed you can get 7 well pitched turns in. That's in bounds hike-to, ie upper Swirl.

And on gun skiing today, I was greedily eyeing Timberline as it was getting hammered by Snow Logics. They had additional guns sled mounted going as well. It was open, but the inner voice said, hmmm, maybe not.... pretty early in the sequence, could be wet guns. I saw a bright jacket skiing it towards the bottom, found him well glazed in the liftline, and he said it was glue.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Mister Moose wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 17:33 skiadkt, I don't think there's anyplace on Showshed you can get 7 well pitched turns in. That's in bounds hike-to, ie upper Swirl.

And on gun skiing today, I was greedily eyeing Timberline as it was getting hammered by Snow Logics. They had additional guns sled mounted going as well. It was open, but the inner voice said, hmmm, maybe not.... pretty early in the sequence, could be wet guns. I saw a bright jacket skiing it towards the bottom, found him well glazed in the liftline, and he said it was glue.
and to the captains' point, eyed downdraft as well but it was roped. damn they've scared me straight :lol: .
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 17:19 Afternoon Report: Wasn't really excited about going out, but did anyway. Expected very icy conditions and the mountain delivered on that.

Warmup Royal Flush; Upper OK [believe it had been groomed as SA posted] and Lower was more porcelin than anything. ETS for sure.

Upper Double Dip SA line OK; nothing special. UEF OK. Ridge Run had also been groomed and boring, but decent. 1st half of Powerline was like it had been groomed; great cover and icier on second half. Back up NR to ski Downdraft under the guns; WHY THE F WASN'T THIS OPEN? PROBABLY BEST RUN ON THE MOUNTAIN. Didn't want to duck the rope so did Cascade -> Escapade -> Flume. Flume was very icy all the way down.

Thimble icy but OK. Chunnel icy. Right side Needle's Eye best thing I had found so far and Lower Stitchline even better. Next two runs were Panic [quite good actually] -> Stitch. Could feel it getting icier each run though I think there were only two of us skiing it. Close to ROTD.

Bittersweet, incl. the old HW, OK and easy to get speed up for crossing past K1.

My guess would be because DD is steep, narrow and has snowmaking equipment all over it. Liability.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

newpylong1 wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 18:41
Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 17:19 Afternoon Report: Wasn't really excited about going out, but did anyway. Expected very icy conditions and the mountain delivered on that.

My guess would be because DD is steep, narrow and has snowmaking equipment all over it. Liability.
skied it many times under the guns. in any case they're going off tonight and it should be open tomorrow.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 17:53
Mister Moose wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 17:33 skiadkt, I don't think there's anyplace on Showshed you can get 7 well pitched turns in. That's in bounds hike-to, ie upper Swirl.

and to the captains' point, eyed downdraft as well but it was roped. damn they've scared me straight :lol: .
I don't believe you have been rehabilitated, my friend...I don't duck ropes often, but when I do, it's usually worth spending time in the penalty box!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I went to Cannon Mt in NH today. I hadn't been there in at least 10 years. Not crowded at all, maybe 3 people in front of you if you want to call that a lift line. Started at the tram base, 10 above, sunny with light wind. Tram car had maybe 20 people in it! Limited terrain was open and very little natural snow on the lower mnt, more snow on the ground south of the notch. Views were beautiful of higher mnts all around. Something you don't get at Killington because you are on the highest peak in the area. It got skied off by lunchtime and is known to be an icy mnt. My mid week seasons pass was $44 for NH residants 65 and over.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Early morning brisk skin up Rams Head brought me to some fresh turns above the Poma and some sweet groomers down Header. Later, had fun on Julio, Anarchy, Chop Chop, and fresh groomed Ridge Run. Cat Walk surprisingly nice and well very filled in. Lots of snow on the ground. Now we need some fluff.
Attachments
PXL_20240115_132959271.jpg
PXL_20240115_132959271.jpg (359.55 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
PXL_20240115_184014709.jpg
PXL_20240115_184014709.jpg (273.23 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Big Bob wrote: Jan 15th, '24, 20:27 I went to Cannon Mt in NH today. I hadn't been there in at least 10 years. Not crowded at all, maybe 3 people in front of you if you want to call that a lift line. Started at the tram base, 10 above, sunny with light wind. Tram car had maybe 20 people in it! Limited terrain was open and very little natural snow on the lower mnt, more snow on the ground south of the notch. Views were beautiful of higher mnts all around. Something you don't get at Killington because you are on the highest peak in the area. It got skied off by lunchtime and is known to be an icy mnt. My mid week seasons pass was $44 for NH residants 65 and over.
No skidding sounds by the afternoon today (Tues), give it another try before r*in comes again!
and
Military Appreciation Day 1/21: Cannon would like to say thank you to all who have served in the US Military with free lift tickets for all US active duty, retired, reserve and veteran members of ALL military branches and $45 tickets for up to 3 immediate family members. Check out the Blackhawk helicopter, watch the flag parade and much more. Get all the details here!