Brief Thoughts on Outpost and Pico

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

breckkidd
Beginner On Rentals

Brief Thoughts on Outpost and Pico

Post by breckkidd »

As some folks pointed out yesterday, in spite of being 100% open, Outpost did not run at Pico. Obviously we’re all familiar with the typical brief shimmy from the top of the Golden (and not running the left certainly helps preserve the snow) so there are certainly some silver linings to not running the lift. That being said, the fact that it’s not running today (the first Saturday with the mountain being wide open) is both concerning and irritating. I imagine it’s a money issue of some kind, but it feels more and more like Pico gets the short end of the stick. With an antiquated, aging lift system in general, I’m very interested to see how the next few years play out for Pico. Could be some big changes on the horizon.
“There’s no such thing as bad snow, just bad skiers”
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Brief Thoughts on Outpost and Pico

Post by skiadikt »

no excuse on a saturday w the mtn 100% open. i mean how much are they saving. and yeah double edged sword - ez enough access and the snow stays untouched but to the captain's point, the runout sux.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

My favorite lift at Pico and Killington. It’s as authentic as they come.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

At 54 years old, debuted in Dec 1969, it's also the oldest chairlift in Killington/Pico
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

weak sauce indeed
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

ozzy wrote: Jan 20th, '24, 14:36 At 54 years old, debuted in Dec 1969, it's also the oldest chairlift in Killington/Pico
Bonanza is 4 years older. Same manufacture. Both these lifts are borderline obsolete and parts wise. They should be replaced.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Was the fireplace in the lodge working at least????
Ron Paul 2012
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Not running Outpost today [Sunday] either.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 08:55 Not running Outpost today [Sunday] either.
from their report:
Please note that skiing and riding on Outpost is open, though the terrain is not yet accessible by lift. does that mean they intend on running it at some point (whatever point that is) this season. anyway frustrating.

pico has so many ancient lifts hanging on by a thread with no hope of replacement unless there's the interconnect.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

We went 8 months of not mentioning the interconnect let’s not bring it up now.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 10:55
Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 08:55 Not running Outpost today [Sunday] either.
from their report:
Please note that skiing and riding on Outpost is open, though the terrain is not yet accessible by lift. does that mean they intend on running it at some point (whatever point that is) this season. anyway frustrating.

pico has so many ancient lifts hanging on by a thread with no hope of replacement unless there's the interconnect.
Outpost should get the MRG overhaul. I know, I know, it’ll never happen, but still… One of those lifts that won’t be appreciated until it’s gone. And hey, I’m fine with snowboarders riding it. :D
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 19:45 Outpost should get the MRG overhaul. I know, I know, it’ll never happen, but still… One of those lifts that won’t be appreciated until it’s gone. And hey, I’m fine with snowboarders riding it. :D
Wait, not so fast.... No snowboards on Outpost.... I think you're on to something....
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Mister Moose wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 20:32
rogman wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 19:45 Outpost should get the MRG overhaul. I know, I know, it’ll never happen, but still… One of those lifts that won’t be appreciated until it’s gone. And hey, I’m fine with snowboarders riding it. :D
Wait, not so fast.... No snowboards on Outpost.... I think you're on to something....
How dare u say that after having a beer with Brenda last night! :)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

She can have Timberline and Stash if I can have Outpost.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

we lost our base of snow almost completely. Then we got a few storms in the past week to bring the base back. Pico made snow on Expressway over MLK weekend and opened it for the season this week. They just opened Knomes knoll triple Saturday. Upper Pike has not had snowmaking yet. So really it’s not surprising to me to see Outpost just opening up over the next week. It seems every year we wish it was earlier. But Pico has only been open like 6 weeks.