wednesday 1/24 actual ski report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

wednesday 1/24 actual ski report

Post by skiadikt »

after my day of "cheating" at another resort, was welcomed back home with 5" of mid-high density snow which stuck to and coated everything. just what the doctor ordered. the downside - a freezing "something" that required a couple goggle scrapings per run. fog especially on the bear/needles side. so viz indeed was challenging though by early afternoon, the freezing "something" let up. 9-2:30 shift.

one of the best days of the season. the usual opener on highline which had been groomed, had a nice coating to smooth the ride out. after that done w groomers. ran the nats on snowdon ridge from north star through royal flush and everything skied great. caught the rope drop on chute/GB so we tracked that up. one of the best.

in canyon, the light was loaded. finished out on an excellent flume. even the runout was good. double dip very good though there were some icey whalebacks. maybe not as much as last year, but they made a lot of snow there. dipper woods good and anarchy beautiful. jug/breakaway to bear - more goodness. the snow was "denser" on that side. the fiddle called. rotd. hiked to the top and were the first to ski the upper section where the denser snow was perfect. surprisingly well covered. supe/lark back to the front and finished in the snowdon trees and even hit twister on rams.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: wednesday 1/24 actual ski report

Post by Mister Moose »

20240124_133946.jpg
20240124_133946.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 679 times
.'
There was a lot of this.

At opening bell, the falling "snow" already had a sleety wet feel to it. That quickly degraded to goggle glazing mist. Sky Peak skied like 4 inches, nice trax in the creamy fresh and it stayed longer in the the relatively modest crowd. By mid afternoon if you found some unskied it developed a donut glaze, as did my jacket.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Not sure which 1/24 [never mind you are both so lazy as to not include the year] report to put my afternoon report in. What if I want to bitch about the lifts as well as put in a skiing report? Maybe I should start a third one for today !!

Afternoon Report: Early bird got the better worm today. My timing was fixed as I had an appointment this morning. Ended up being a decent day though I was pretty disappointed at the start. Viz [fog, not really mist on the goggles] was the main problem for me this afternoon. There was a "strip" of non-fog from Needle's Eye to Snowdon, from the base of either, to Chunnel [on NE] and a bit before the top of Snowdon.

Early runs down Snowdon OK. Royal Flush OK, but not as good as two days ago. Morning shift trashed it. Big Dipper OK but very foggy top 1/2 and lots of brush that needs to be whacked down unless you just ski the line near the chair rope. Last pitch below the cliff was very good. LEF nothing special.

Jug -> Breakaway or Pipe Dream pretty good though poor viz for most of it. Same for run to bear on the Cub.

ROTD: Thimble -> Stitchline. Thimble was sort of in the clear and Stitch was fine re: viz. Was able to lap it a couple of time late in the day after they got Stage II on line.

Last run at Snowdon, Chop Chop was horrible. I couldn't even find the "trail" as it appeared most people that started down it side slipped way skiers left and I stupidly followed it. Top coating of the new snow was setting up a bit as well.

Coupla other runs I really don't remember ! NCP starting just after 4:00 in the parking lot. NCP continuing 6:00 as I had to head over the pass. We'll see what tonight, tommorow, and next two days brings.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 24th, '24, 19:59 Not sure which 1/24 [never mind you are both so lazy as to not include the year] report to put my afternoon report in. What if I want to bitch about the lifts as well as put in a skiing report? Maybe I should start a third one for today !!

Afternoon Report: Early bird got the better worm today. My timing was fixed as I had an appointment this morning. Ended up being a decent day though I was pretty disappointed at the start. Viz [fog, not really mist on the goggles] was the main problem for me this afternoon. There was a "strip" of non-fog from Needle's Eye to Snowdon, from the base of either, to Chunnel [on NE] and a bit before the top of Snowdon.

Early runs down Snowdon OK. Royal Flush OK, but not as good as two days ago. Morning shift trashed it. Big Dipper OK but very foggy top 1/2 and lots of brush that needs to be whacked down unless you just ski the line near the chair rope. Last pitch below the cliff was very good. LEF nothing special.

Jug -> Breakaway or Pipe Dream pretty good though poor viz for most of it. Same for run to bear on the Cub.

ROTD: Thimble -> Stitchline. Thimble was sort of in the clear and Stitch was fine re: viz. Was able to lap it a couple of time late in the day after they got Stage II on line.

Last run at Snowdon, Chop Chop was horrible. I couldn't even find the "trail" as it appeared most people that started down it side slipped way skiers left and I stupidly followed it. Top coating of the new snow was setting up a bit as well.

Coupla other runs I really don't remember ! NCP starting just after 4:00 in the parking lot. NCP continuing 6:00 as I had to head over the pass. We'll see what tonight, tommorow, and next two days brings.
yeah there is some vegetation on dipper that either needs to be skied over or buried. find the same thing on vertigo above the crossover. have to be careful not to let that stuff trip you up.

think in 35 years, i've had maybe 2 good runs in chop. someone in our krewe mentioned skiing it today and i said pretty sure it sux because it always sux. maybe they need to do some cleanup in there. another one that usually sux is skye bits.

don't know what's it's doing on the mtn but it's been pouring here in mendon which should make tomorrow "interesting". unfortunately this weather sticks around for a few days.
spoiled South American skiin' whore