thursday 1/25/24 (pico) report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

thursday 1/25/24 (pico) report

Post by skiadikt »

put the year in there for captain ...

race thurs at pico. very foggy. from the webcams appeared to be the same at k though at k maybe you can find an area where it's a bit less.

very soft hero snow - the groomers like 49'er, KA & pike were all excellent. manky and sticky where it hadn't been skied much - for example birch glade. summit glade more skied in but stickier as you worked your way down. sunset a mix.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: thursday 1/25/24 (pico) report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon [K - Not Pico] Report: Did we mention fog? Thought it mighta been more clear for the morning shift but maybe not so after talking to SA last night at Liquid Art.

WROTY - My go to trail before today, Stitchline. Pretty much unskiable with totally unconsolidated snow. Sinking in 8" or so. Only a few prior 'tracks' on it, mostly showing falls every other turn or so. Made it down the top pitch without getting hurt and bailed to Snowshed. That kept me off ungroomed nats for the rest of the day.

Run down Skye/Claw TTB was pretty decent. Proly the best viz of the day and pretty good 'groomer' conditions. Pretty much the same later in the day on Skye / Lower Wildfire. ROTD: O.L. Great snow, shitty viz.

AT Supe, Mid O was pretty good with enough prior traffic on it to leave it skiable. Other Supe Pod groomers pretty good with poor viz.

Best Viz of the Day: Final run down Great Eastern to Rte 4 !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

no bubble at the bell, bailed to rams for 3 ,fog lifted had soft snow and sun
fog came back even harder bubble fired up and i got to tower 8 ,had a couple false starts,no self evac kit so had to sit
did some on the east side then peak pub, good time, good crowd
down draft and cascade with downdraft my rotd
heard bad things about devils
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 09:24WROTY - My go to trail before today, Stitchline. Pretty much unskiable with totally unconsolidated snow. Sinking in 8" or so. Only a few prior 'tracks' on it, mostly showing falls every other turn or so. Made it down the top pitch without getting hurt and bailed to Snowshed. That kept me off ungroomed nats for the rest of the day.
Didn't realize it at the time but that was me skiing down behind you. I did one more section after you bailed to get to the gondola without having to schlep. Definitely the WROTD!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

simpletwist wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 10:50
Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 09:24WROTY - My go to trail before today, Stitchline. Pretty much unskiable with totally unconsolidated snow. Sinking in 8" or so. Only a few prior 'tracks' on it, mostly showing falls every other turn or so. Made it down the top pitch without getting hurt and bailed to Snowshed. That kept me off ungroomed nats for the rest of the day.
Didn't realize it at the time but that was me skiing down behind you. I did one more section after you bailed to get to the gondola without having to schlep. Definitely the WROTD!
the previous day's soft snow took on a lot of h2o. most ungroomed terrain at pico that hadn't been skied much (often the case there and usually a good thing) was very difficult to ski in. can only imagine the fiddle which was great wednesday. probably a swamp.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Any word on the fireplace working?
Ron Paul 2012
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 09:24 Best Viz of the Day: Final run down Great Eastern to Rte 4 !
I've been laughed at for liking that, but i'll always think it pretty cool! it's not always about the 'technical difficulty' rating.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with running Peak to Creek. It's a fun run...especially when there's enough cover to mix in Home Stretch, Touchdown, VP. Etc