Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Is killington next, or did they lose?

Post by Eddytheyetti »

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Is killington next, or did they lose?

Post by skiadikt »

not sure about losing? with the village coming, can't see powdr selling ahead of that.

as for a-basin, alterra seems to do a better job than vail in terms of leaving what works at a particular area instead of forcing them to fit their business model. seems like a-basin will continue to do what has made them special.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

Not looking to argue….more just pondering the question at hand, does Powdr benefit enough from the village to accept all the cost involved with all the needed infrastructure improvements? Tear down two lodges and build another, build more parking lots, incur the expense of moving all the customers from said parking lots to the lifts every day, multiple lift replacements etc? I know ASC tried to run a ski area and a real estate investment. But what stake does Powdr have in the village? Someone said 20%. Will 20% of the revenue from the sale of the village pay for all that? Would they even want to use it for that? I don’t know? Maybe?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skivt2 wrote: Feb 5th, '24, 18:30 Not looking to argue….more just pondering the question at hand, does Powdr benefit enough from the village to accept all the cost involved with all the needed infrastructure improvements? Tear down two lodges and build another, build more parking lots, incur the expense of moving all the customers from said parking lots to the lifts every day, multiple lift replacements etc? I know ASC tried to run a ski area and a real estate investment. But what stake does Powdr have in the village? Someone said 20%. Will 20% of the revenue from the sale of the village pay for all that? Would they even want to use it for that? I don’t know? Maybe?
You’re assuming those costs accrue to the resort rather than Great Gulf. As for the 20% ownership that Powdr had in the village, that may no longer be the case. When I asked Mike about that during the TIF hearings, he said that was still under discussion.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

All is not well at A-Basin. They have a parking problem (not enough space to handle the crowds on busy days). Drove past this morning and saw the Early Riser lot half empty. Reason? Costs $40 to park there.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Unless you have 4 people in the car. They
were very transparent that the paid parking was to encourage ride sharing. I beleive them. Their COO is very transparent about these things. Was paid parking in effect during the week? I thought it was just weekends
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Nope. It's 7 days a week.