friday 2/9 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 2/9 report

Post by skiadikt »

wow just another blockbuster day in what's been a great 7 day run. today cracked the top 5. cloudy start but the sun won out doing her part to soften things. not a crazy friday turnout. 9-2 shift.

parked at bear. bear & needles groomers very good at the bell. first trips of the season through the stash & dream parks and both skied well. though the halfpipe is rather weak for those that care. the front 3 at the supe pod all skied great. excellent grooms on supe and lower lark. ovation ungroomed still good.

11 was the magic hour as the switch got thrown and things began to soften nicely. highline excellent. conclusion & flush both very good though flush is flushing away quickly. help i'm melting ... 1st surprise of the day was how well double dip skied. nice groom job and softening snow. in the south ridge both pipedream and breakaway both good. dream hw soft. at that point, it was fiddle time. nice and soft. sure there was some shucking and jiving necessary but when it skis this well, it's the rotd. earned a triple play. upper wildfire bumps softened enough to be fun.

just when i didn't think i could find a bad turn, i did. vertigo ttb. very little softening and needed to be skied in more. the lower section was ok.
fiddle1.jpg
fiddle1.jpg (503.79 KiB) Viewed 898 times
fiddle2.jpg
fiddle2.jpg (604.48 KiB) Viewed 898 times
fiddle3.jpg
fiddle3.jpg (598.37 KiB) Viewed 898 times
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: friday 2/9 report

Post by newpylong1 »

They made no attempt at building it, what's there is just the natural features of the dirt "pipe".

I noticed all the new hydrants and tree line cut back on the Fiddle when I was there, just like you said. Fingers still crossed at a gift but no breath holding.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Not as warm as yesterday, so it took a bit longer to soften up, but by early afternoon the sun facing slopes were skiing well. Nice to have South Ridge Quad running the last two days. Lower Pipe Dream, Lower Royal Flush, and Highline were all noteworthy. The first two need snow. Passed on DF, it's looking a bit threadbare at the moment, not wasting a fresh tune on that, but there were plenty who hit it with rock skis. Not as crowded as some other Fridays, but should be a busy weekend.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 9th, '24, 15:50 They made no attempt at building it, what's there is just the natural features of the dirt "pipe".

I noticed all the new hydrants and tree line cut back on the Fiddle when I was there, just like you said. Fingers still crossed at a gift but no breath holding.
i heard they may not be done. there's a pretty decent window next week. we'll see. it's next week or never. as we've discussed upper WF and lower pipedream need to be done. the rest are wish list trails that may not happen in a challenging weather season. they were working on OL today and it's wired and ready to go.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Nice. Man would love to see DF get the nod instead of OL though, there seemed like a good amount of snow there. My guess is if we don't see it starting to get laced soon it's not gonna happen. It will take them a while to get all the equipment in there.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Trails like Lower Pipe Dream and Devil's Fiddle have exposures that warm first on sunny days in the latter part of winter. Skiing them is like seeing crocuses popping up through the snow, they're the harbinger of things to come, and make you jones for spring skiing. And they sell spring passes, even if (like crocuses) they're long gone in May.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report. Basically, see SA report above!

Warmup Royal Flush great, with waning cover. Check.
Jug, Breakaway, Pipe Dream great, with waning cover. Check
Supe front 3 all good including Ovation TTB. Check.
Dream Maker HW excelllent as was rest of the way down it. Check.
Fiddle ROTD. Check.
Highline Excellent. Check.
Downdraft OK but nothing special. Mini Check.
Escapade great shape, but boring. Flume decent with mostly scratch.
Finale on Conclusion Excellent. Check.
Last edited by Captain Hafski on Feb 10th, '24, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

More clouds moved in for the later afternoon. Wind picked up.

The south facing trails were showing more dirt and stones today. Tomorrow with temps in the 40s and a Saturday crowd, wear will be heavy.

Superstar had decent snow, aged man made that surprisingly hadn't set up yet. Damp chalk. Elsewhere in the shade or more northern facing... firm waited to be found, either under the loose snow or uncovered noisy skiing.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 9th, '24, 23:08 The south facing trails were showing more dirt and stones today. Tomorrow with temps in the 40s and a Saturday crowd, wear will be heavy.
doubt the flush & fiddle survive the day tomorrow w the south ridge trails not far behind.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Thanks for the great Friday reports.
I love the reports every day.
Off snow for a few weeks as silly me carried a heavy brief
Bag on my right shoulder and threw out my lower right rear butt on 1/26/24. Hydroflask 16 oz full. Garage mdoor manual lift too as the automatic door got stuck( being repaired by Ronster). So silly of me to do both.
Slow recovery and I am missing the sun and good snow.
Short term rehab in the flats. Getting better every day.
Pt . Plus I even have school sick days which I forgot about.

Brits and kids had to cancel this weekend and next school vacation week . Love teaching skiing them as it’s great to share my favorite sport. Bummer
I am pushing myself to get better quicker, stretching and strengthening exercises every day.
Ronster is the best.. save the butt jokes for spring.
Soon to return to ski as soon as I am cleared.

Thanks everyone keep the pictures, reports etc coming. I am missing my ski friends, fun events too.
Party on my friends and I miss you.
Busy next few weeks !
Have a wonderful time and be safe.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 3:30 for my three runs. Not sons.

Highline nice, but flat. Noticed lowerO was open.
Pretty good. Still some slick spots.

Found SBF and Dynastar on sup chair. ROTD Julio.
Great bumps and coverage. Almost no rock garden.

K1 bar had all the usual suspects from many ski houses.
Yoshi good guys had some zoner sightings.
Where is Happy Hour ?
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Yes Julio was great on Friday. Tight moguls in trees on top and larger moguls in more spaced out trees in the middle and a bottom rock garden that could be figured out. Saturday…yikes! Sticky and soft sinking down to the dirt on turns.