friday 2/23 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 2/23 report

Post by skiadikt »

add another one to the top 10 day list. the 2" of new snow (seemed like more higher up) was just what we needed. instead of the blower we got recently, this was heavy and not prone to getting skied off or blown away. speaking of wind. zero. and despite the forecast, the sun refused to take "no" for an answer though there was some roving fog. by mid-morning hero snow was the rule. the usual friday crowd. 9-1 shift.

parked at bear but immediately headed to the supe area. upper lark had that new snow sitting on top of the groom. a creamy delight. lower which has often sucked was quite good. mid ovation more of the same. a co-rotd. skye hawk also co-rotd earned a repeat. they did a later groom on supe so it didn't have as much pow but still good. low road was the only disappointment there with very hard bumps.

the canyon trails were all quite good. escapade shined as it usually does on a day like this but even double dip skied well. downdraft too. north ridge good.

at needles, vertigo good and the gondi line tight to the woods was another fave earning a repeat. at bear, dream hw nice & soft though it is getting thin spots. claw>burst and stash>dream good. wildfire finally softened. OL also softened and skied well. didn't experience any lift problems. great day.
Last edited by skiadikt on Feb 24th, '24, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

Re: friday 2/16 report

Post by spanky »

2/16? Someone please get me back to the future.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: friday 2/23 report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Short stint as some errands got in the way, but decent 2:00 - 4:20 shift with mostly full sun and some softening around most of the mountain.

In the canyon, LEF quite good for what it is. Late day Escapade nothing special. Same for Flume and Lower Cascade was pretty much skied off.

Old Supe OK. Mid/Lower Supe was definitely one of the stars of the day though a bit crowded. Interesting that I found the best sun/snow softening there on Pres's Pitch. In hindsight, recognized that most of that snow is newly blown and doesn't have the porcelin base coating [though there are still a few places where you can find it].

Stash -> Maker still one of the best runs on the mountain. Lower half of Dream Maker was excellent.

ROTD Thimble -> Stitchline. Still some ice but best Thimble has been in quite a while. Upper two sections of Stitch were pretty good [with marginal softening] and the last section was sweet.

Bittersweet was a mess, though better than it normally is. The old HW still has plenty of glare ice on it and though very skiable, have to be careful [slid out on one of them].

Lower Pipe Dream excellent with perfect softening butt it's going fast. Breakaway looked about the same with lots of brown.

Late day Mouse Run -> Highline very good with some nice piles of snow here and there to turn on. Concluded the day on a marginally softened Conclusion; a bit better than it has been and still decent cover. Chute -> Great Bear very good as well.

Gonna be a different day today [Saturday].
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 24th, '24, 08:58
yup. guessing everything seized up good & tight. looks mighty windy as well. healing my "wounds" this weekend. slept in.

that was "interesting" playing on the balcony at LA the other night.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

skiadikt wrote: Feb 24th, '24, 09:22
Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 24th, '24, 08:58
yup. guessing everything seized up good & tight. looks mighty windy as well. healing my "wounds" this weekend. slept in.

that was "interesting" playing on the balcony at LA the other night.
Hence the no Sat report as yet. yes, i do check daily ;)
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Got out at 3:30 for my 3 Sup area runs. Thought it would have been softer.
Where is Happy Hour ?