Midweek on the South Ridge

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Midweek on the South Ridge

Post by Mister Moose »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 17:24 Pretty sure the slog is less with the New K1. Slog from top of South Ridge to Great Northern is no picnic for those that skip the wish to skip the canyon.
Agree. They took out several feet of the ridge that used to be under the gondola, and re graded the hillside up to the tree island. That part is easier now. I was skeptical of the push the other way if you're coming from Ramshead and do the lowest GN tunnel (goes under Chute, so The Chunnel), but if you keep speed down lower Mouse it's an easy glide and lazy skate to get to K1.

Going around the lodge either way is a schlep. A ski strewn, traffic filled, Indecisive plodder laden schlep.

The trek on Low Traverse / Home Run is ok until you reach Downdraft, where the groomer ridge of GN makes you climb up over it.

Pres's dream of high altitude beginner skiing is in full bloom right now with upper Pipe Dream to Bear Cub in fine shape, but no promotion of it at all.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Downdraft wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 13:32 Alterra will run all these lifts next year. Don’t worry.
Be carefull what you wish for. I can remember when Vail was a wanted owner. Glad that didn't happen.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Did Southridge run this weekend? Skied by a few times with no signs of it running...
ImageImageImageImage
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

While I didn't ride it, it was definitely running yesterday.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It was running yesterday, but all the trails were closed except upper pipe dream and roundabout.
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Stormchaser wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 09:43 Did Southridge run this weekend? Skied by a few times with no signs of it running...
On hold until about noon on Saturday - ran on Sunday to give a full view of the carnage in the South Ridge area.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

SPORE wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 10:10
Stormchaser wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 09:43 Did Southridge run this weekend? Skied by a few times with no signs of it running...
On hold until about noon on Saturday - ran on Sunday to give a full view of the carnage in the South Ridge area.

Ah, thanks. Tried getting out of Bear a couple times Saturday am via Southridge only to have to loop back around. At one point there were more people at Bear base in lift lines than the entire crowd at the last few BMMC's... Musta skied by too early on Sunday, and then just figured it was a no go based on what I saw Saturday. You live, you learn.
ImageImageImageImage
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

I was at Killington 9 days this year, and as far as I know, the South Ridge Quad was only running once, on Fri Mar 1st. And unfortunately, with Pipe Dream and Jug closed, it was of limited usefulness, and I only rode it twice. Still, I was glad to see it open.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

mdskiguy wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 15:56 I was at Killington 9 days this year, and as far as I know, the South Ridge Quad was only running once, on Fri Mar 1st. And unfortunately, with Pipe Dream and Jug closed, it was of limited usefulness, and I only rode it twice. Still, I was glad to see it open.
Its a great transfer lift to get you to the north side even with no southridge trails open...
ImageImageImageImage