friday 3/1 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 3/1 report

Post by skiadikt »

welcome to day one of meteorological spring. didn't feel it. sunny but cold and windy. the mtn did a great job putting the place back together. the couple inches they received yesterday bounded and folded in real well plus the spot snowmaking and grooming and we were back to our regularly scheduled program. pretty good friday crowd. 9-1:30 shift.

much better than expected. the predominant condition was flat & hard. certainly sharpened skis were an asset but everything was edgeable. highline at the bell skied beautifully. snowdon mainline good. LEF as well. a groomed double dip was definitely firm but fine overall with some groomer trax. supe good though the HW closed. everything at bear was good. stash closed for a comp. OL & upper WF as closed as well. needles trails good.

bitter was the usual eh. a groomed low road was very nice. first big surprise was how well old supe skied though u didn't wanna ski down the middle. yesterday's snow piled up skier's left. lower lark was wrotd. felt like an unfinished groom.

back in the canyon, escapade was rotd. lots of pow and apparently not skied all that much. repeated. finished once on cascade which was skied off. flume was surprisingly not bad. some good pow pockets mixed w windblown sections. totally bumpless. more bumpless decent skiing on ridge run.

jogged over to rams for a run on header. always a fun jaunt. finished on GB which was quite good. overall a day that exceeded expectations.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Re: friday 3/1 report

Post by twilkas »

Are they routinely grooming old supe now? awhile back, that was usually left alone.
Mohawk perfectly softened by noon, could get a nicely angled edge in most anywhere, quite enjoyable :)
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

twilkas wrote: Mar 1st, '24, 17:53 Are they routinely grooming old supe now? awhile back, that was usually left alone.
Mohawk perfectly softened by noon, could get a nicely angled edge in most anywhere, quite enjoyable :)
did a groom it a couple weeks ago but bumped back up in the soft snow. at the moment there are very trails w bumps. ridge run flat and other than upper entrance, escapade was flat today.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

All the bumps mowed before the freeze filled in the troughs so the trails can make it through longer with the warm weather?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Skivt2 wrote: Mar 1st, '24, 22:15 All the bumps mowed before the freeze filled in the troughs so the trails can make it through longer with the warm weather?
most bumps were very hard/icey heading into pres week, so everything systematically got groomed. they wanted to make the mtn more skiable for the holiday week skiers.

stating the obvious, weather wise this season has been terrible. not much snow and too many thaw/freezes. not very conducive for skiable bumps. the best bumps this season were when they were making snow on trails like supe, highline, OL and skye lark.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

skiadikt wrote: Mar 1st, '24, 22:43
Skivt2 wrote: Mar 1st, '24, 22:15 All the bumps mowed before the freeze filled in the troughs so the trails can make it through longer with the warm weather?
most bumps were very hard/icey heading into pres week, so everything systematically got groomed. they wanted to make the mtn more skiable for the holiday week skiers.

stating the obvious, weather wise this season has been terrible. not much snow and too many thaw/freezes. not very conducive for skiable bumps. the best bumps this season were when they were making snow on trails like supe, highline, OL and skye lark.
Mostly going by Pico. Lots of pretty obvious prep there. Sunday night summit glade and sunset schuss got a groom. Saturday and Sunday 49r were under the guns. Monday it was groomed perfectly. It seemed like sunset 71 may have seen some flattening. It was true the troughs have been porcelain for a few weeks. I noticed no bumps on Tuesday in places I expected at Killington
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

Skivt2 wrote: Mar 2nd, '24, 00:00
skiadikt wrote: Mar 1st, '24, 22:43

Mostly going by Pico. Lots of pretty obvious prep there. Sunday night summit glade and sunset schuss got a groom. Saturday and Sunday 49r were under the guns. Monday it was groomed perfectly. It seemed like sunset 71 may have seen some flattening. It was true the troughs have been porcelain for a few weeks. I noticed no bumps on Tuesday in places I expected at Killington
Ok….slight edit….sunset 71 still in the natural state. Skied very nicely today.
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

A little late on this! Friday, March 1st was the last of my 9 days at Killington, and it was fantastic!

I did East Fall a couple times, but that's pretty much my most adventurous black.

My ROTD was Bear Trax/Crossover/Great Eastern/Bearly, or other similar combinations such as Crossover/Great Eastern/Bearly. I know that's pretty staid for this crowd, but the snow was fantastic and I was rocking it. I believe I actually set fire to the snow, and I apologize for the scorch marks I left, I'm pretty sure they go all the way down.

Solitude is one of my favorite trails at Killington. Again, too staid for this crowd, but it's a great trail. They actually groomed it, both Upper and Lower. I really enjoy the peace and quiet of it, and I enjoy the technical challenge of skiing the whole thing without poling, and the snow was good enough to be able to do that.

I can find plenty of things to complain about, but K did a great job on those trails last week.

Great Northern was disappointing though, with multiple serious ice issues, although lower Caper was pretty good.

Bittersweet was terrible though. I did it twice to get back toward K1. That trail is reliably bad across my visits, it was the worst this day. The ice was so bad I was afraid I was going to see someone over their skill level get in real trouble. I would have taken Skylark but it was closed. I will say, Low Road was good as an alternative to Lower Bittersweet, and in past visits that has often not been the case.