Timing of Killington Forward

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Timing of Killington Forward

Post by rogman »

Steve Malone, who built Topridge and the Lodges at Sunrise, is heading up Basecamp Bear. Not like he's some newby to local development or fly by night operator. They've already got their Act 250 permit; they're not about to fold their tents and slink away. Last I knew they were using the building behind the SPE as a sales office, so its not actually a tent, either. Here's the web site: https://www.basecampatbearmt.com/. Big projects take time.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Livin’ the Dream: Safdie and the Killington Village: we’re in good hands

https://mountaintimes.info/livin-the-dr ... ood-hands/
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bubba wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 14:45 Livin’ the Dream: Safdie and the Killington Village: we’re in good hands

Coach Pom Pom!
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Google moshe safdie buildings and select images then decide for yourself.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

wtf021 wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 17:40 Google moshe safdie buildings and select images then decide for yourself.
Interesting. Doesn't exactly ooze Vermont quaint. More like glass egg carton meets MC Escher.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Between the Peak, the K1, and the new super duper SnowRam, Killington will have one of the premier lodge infrastructures on the east coast.

Great if you give a rat's ass about lodges. Not so much if you care more about silly things like reliable lifts.

Lodges are literally the least Important part of my ski day.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 18:02 Between the Peak, the K1, and the new super duper SnowRam, Killington will have one of the premier lodge infrastructures on the east coast.

Great if you give a rat's ass about lodges. Not so much if you care more about silly things like reliable lifts.

Lodges are literally the least Important part of my ski day.
They'll still have Bear with the Bathrooms downstairs! At least it doesn't smell like burnt Pizza!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Bear (and Skyeship) will be guaranteed the only lodges I go near after that village goes in. The Stowe experience has already driven me away from the Peak and K-1.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Pedro wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 16:18
Bubba wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 14:45 Livin’ the Dream: Safdie and the Killington Village: we’re in good hands

Coach Pom Pom!
I like their new layout for the village but I'm not a fan of their architectural designs at all, especially not for VT.

Any one heard whether or not the redesign was submitted yet for ACT250? It was supposed to happen by the end last month. I doubt it, otherwise someone would have found it on their ACT 250 website and said something about it. Safdie said they hope to break ground in the Spring of 2025', I'll take the over on that one.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

My hunch would be they are planning to work around the current act 250 laws, and not reapply if they can help it. Some big changes to act 250 are being discussed.

https://www.vlct.org/news/testimony-reg ... esignation

- allowing municipalities with duly adopted local zoning and subdivision regulations to accept responsibility to administer Act 250 solely within their own jurisdictions;

- eliminating Act 250 jurisdiction over projects in designated downtowns, growth centers, new town centers, designated village centers, neighborhood
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 17:57
wtf021 wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 17:40 Google moshe safdie buildings and select images then decide for yourself.
Interesting. Doesn't exactly ooze Vermont quaint. More like glass egg carton meets MC Escher.
Vermont quaint is the antithesis of The Beast
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Faux Vermont quaint or fake Swiss alpine village? I’ll take my chances on door number three.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 18th, '24, 17:57
I mean - nothing about the new base lodge says vermont quaint. If that is the direction they are going, i would not expect the village to be either.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

GlenPLake wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 11:08 My hunch would be they are planning to work around the current act 250 laws, and not reapply if they can help it. Some big changes to act 250 are being discussed.

https://www.vlct.org/news/testimony-reg ... esignation

- allowing municipalities with duly adopted local zoning and subdivision regulations to accept responsibility to administer Act 250 solely within their own jurisdictions;

- eliminating Act 250 jurisdiction over projects in designated downtowns, growth centers, new town centers, designated village centers, neighborhood
Well, here it is March and still no word on the ACT-250 submission which was supposed to happen in January. I think your hunch might be right.

I still can't fathom paying $1,5M and up for a condo in the parking lot of Snowshed to ski east coast conditions which are getting steadily worse but to each their own.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Received this email from a salesperson for the new village as a result of filling out the information request on the Six Peaks website a while back:

Hello KingsFourMan,

My name is Bryan Gillam and I am the Senior Sales Executive for the Village. I am reaching out to see where your interest lies with the new Killington Village. I wanted to share a brief overview. We are currently in the planning and design stage for our first phase of 193 condominiums and 32 home sites. We are planning a sales offering around World Cup Weekend of 2024. Currently all floor plans, timing, pricing and amenities are evolving. Interest has been significant. We will continue to update you on our progress. In the meantime if you have time for a quick call for additional details please feel free to contact me. Please click the links below to see who our partners are in creating The Killington Village. Their resumes are pretty impressive!

I asked him what was happening with ACT 250 and got the following response:

As far as Act 250, We submitted an amendment and it is in process at the state currently. However, it will not prohibit us from taking initial deposits this November.

I didn't see it in the ACT 250 database but I didn't search for it all that hard. I did see the original submission by SP Land along with a time extension request.

I still have to believe that there will be some sort of big long-range capital improvement program announced by Killington to coincide with the initial offering date. There are significant on-mountain needs and there is no better time to make an announcement like that. The interconnect being a part of it, love it or hate it, would be huge.