Biden Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Biden Presidency

Post by easyrider16 »

There was some insinuation from some circles that Hur resigned from the DOJ before this testimony so that he would not be bound by DOJ policy and rules. I think that's wrong - as an attorney he owes a duty of loyalty to his former client. He could probably still get in trouble for not following DOJ policy and rules. Also, I think it's standard procedure for special counsel to resign after their investigation is complete. Mueller did so, and before he ever testified.

Hur was a Trump appointee at the DOJ and I suspect he had biases in that direction. However, I also think he had enough professional integrity to inhibit him from recommending criminal charges that were not warranted. I think he did what he thought he could get away with by calling Biden an elderly man with diminished faculties, and I think Schiff and others had a point that his report went a little beyond what was necessary in that regard.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 05:19 There was some insinuation from some circles that Hur resigned from the DOJ before this testimony so that he would not be bound by DOJ policy and rules. I think that's wrong - as an attorney he owes a duty of loyalty to his former client. He could probably still get in trouble for not following DOJ policy and rules. Also, I think it's standard procedure for special counsel to resign after their investigation is complete. Mueller did so, and before he ever testified.

Hur was a Trump appointee at the DOJ and I suspect he had biases in that direction. However, I also think he had enough professional integrity to inhibit him from recommending criminal charges that were not warranted. I think he did what he thought he could get away with by calling Biden an elderly man with diminished faculties, and I think Schiff and others had a point that his report went a little beyond what was necessary in that regard.
I saw somewhere (I haven't read the report) that in the actual transcript rather than the originally published summary, Hur complimented Biden on his memory at some point.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 09:24
easyrider16 wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 05:19 There was some insinuation from some circles that Hur resigned from the DOJ before this testimony so that he would not be bound by DOJ policy and rules. I think that's wrong - as an attorney he owes a duty of loyalty to his former client. He could probably still get in trouble for not following DOJ policy and rules. Also, I think it's standard procedure for special counsel to resign after their investigation is complete. Mueller did so, and before he ever testified.

I saw somewhere (I haven't read the report) that in the actual transcript rather than the originally published summary, Hur complimented Biden on his memory at some point.
Hear it from Hur’s mouth …

https://x.com/ianbremmer/status/1767625 ... 78085?s=46
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Seems like it was taken out of context. The photographic memory thing was a bit of a throw-away line during the testimony. See P. 47

https://democrats-judiciary.house.gov/u ... 000191.pdf

Still though, reading the transcript, I don't think Biden presents as a man with diminished faculties and a faulty memory. I think most people would struggle to remember details about their life and work from seven years ago. Seems to me Hur could have used more neutral language, like "Biden did not recall X" or "Biden had limited recollection of these events" or "Biden would present as a sympathetic witness given his age and demeanor" etc. Instead he used language that mirrored the political criticism of Biden. That seems deliberate.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

US firm that paid indicted FBI informant tied to Trump associates, records reveal
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... onnections
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

U.S. Job Growth Much Stronger Than Expected

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05 ... ch-economy

Employers added 303,000 jobs in March, the 39th straight month of growth. The unemployment rate fell to 3.8 percent.

Too bad eggs and Big Macs are so damn expensive though!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 10:21Too bad eggs and Big Macs are so damn expensive though!
Perception is reality.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 10:21 U.S. Job Growth Much Stronger Than Expected

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05 ... ch-economy

Employers added 303,000 jobs in March, the 39th straight month of growth. The unemployment rate fell to 3.8 percent.

Too bad eggs and Big Macs are so damn expensive though!
Geeze, that is way higher than the expectation. I guess we're not going to see the Fed cut interest rates any time soon!

This economy is incredible right now. It shrugged off a massive rate hike cycle, Ukraine war/supply disruptions, and a lot of really negative sentiment. I think many economists are shaking their heads right now wondering how this is possible. There were a lot of doom and gloom predictions, especially coming off of a very long period of near zero rates. None of it came to fruition.

BTW, I think it's got nothing to do with Biden. Or Trump. Or any other politician. The credit goes entirely to American business and labor, who just keep killing it day after day.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 11:24BTW, I think it's got nothing to do with Biden. Or Trump. Or any other politician. The credit goes entirely to American business and labor, who just keep killing it day after day.
Contractors I've had out to my home will swear up and down the economy is in shambles, but when I try to schedule work they're scheduled out thru mid-summer.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 11:30
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 11:24BTW, I think it's got nothing to do with Biden. Or Trump. Or any other politician. The credit goes entirely to American business and labor, who just keep killing it day after day.
Contractors I've had out to my home will swear up and down the economy is in shambles, but when I try to schedule work they're scheduled out thru mid-summer.
Have you asked them why they feel that way and how can it be in shambles if they're so busy?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 12:26
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '24, 11:30
Have you asked them why they feel that way and how can it be in shambles if they're so busy?
No. No interest. They're welcome to their opinion. Those that talk about or allude to conspiracies I just don't hire.

I've found most make assumptions I'm MAGA because I'm Caucasian, drive a pick up and homeschool my kids.