monday 3/19 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

monday 3/19 report

Post by skiadikt »

today was a wake up call of sorts. after what seems like a month of spring-like weather and today being the official start of spring, mother nature reminded us that winter is not over. just took some time off ... an interesting combo of snow showers, hazy sun and a brisk breeze made us feel a lot colder than the thermometer would have us believe. a miniscule turnout. 9-12:30 shift.

will call the skiing variable but overall better than expected. for a while, the snow showers did improve the skiing in spots. pretty much stuck to grooomers. at the bell, no way to sugarcoat, highline was not good. all the wet snow got packed down and froze up. throw in an uneven groom. LEF was better. will call it ok.

supe was actually pretty decent and benefited from that new half inch or so particularly on the "tunnel" side. most everything at bear including claw, burst & lower WF skied well. the exceptions were the parks which were rather firm and the section below the claw/burst intersection (anti-venom) was really chunky.

both needles and cruise were good. a trip to rt 4 on an ungroomed GE rivaled was wrotd. it's in sad shape w base ice and a number of very thin areas particularly from the hairpin down. remains to be seen whether they can resuscitate it. our return to needles was not too good as it chunked up. seemed to be a late morning theme as preston's chunked up as well. lower bitter terrible but lower lark ok.

in the canyon, cascade flat & firm but fine. RANT ON: please get the trail reports correct. report said lower double dip groomed. it wasn't. we're advanced skiers and we can ski anything so no harm other than a run that wasn't as enjoyable as it might have been. thinking more about the intermediate who decides to ski it based on the report. lot of ice and frozen bumps. someone could get hurt. and it seems like a simple matter for the communication necessary to make it happen. this isn't like needing tens of millions for infrastructure fixes. its couple minutes of someone's time.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: monday 3/19 report

Post by Mister Moose »

Up high there was legit 3 inches and a less firm base. Down lower was 3/4" snow and a concrete base where ungroomed.

Lower Bittersweet for some reason had gravel with imbedded fist size chunks.
20240316_102309.jpg
20240316_102309.jpg (70.6 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Too much fiber for me.

Screenshot_20240318-114850_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240318-114850_Samsung Internet.jpg (71.05 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Our morning snow shower was extremely localized.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

Cold AF next few nights. They turning on that sprinkler system for the last time on the Superstar?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Downdraft wrote: Mar 18th, '24, 18:01 Cold AF next few nights. They turning on that sprinkler system for the last time on the Superstar?
Hey, Beast Fans!

The official start of Spring is just two days away, but we’re in full winter-mode for the remainder of the week. The temps are forecasted to be below freezing over the next few days and we may see some more scattered snow showers throughout the week. Our snowmaking team will be taking advantage of this cold period to make some more snow on Superstar, Skyelark, Bittersweet and in other areas such as Snowshed, and around the K-1 and Snowdon base areas. The guns are slotted to go online on Tuesday and will run through Saturday, weather permitting.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

i second great eastern to rt 4 being wrotd. im coming off an ankle sprain, and damn. torture! what was i thinking!

best run of the day was thimble from the needles eye entrance (top roped off). every track in there but one was mine :D middle and lower vertigo were also run of the day (and all tracks were mine). might of committed some crime to link the two together into one best run.... stairs was a mistake, vertigo was better.
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

I seldom ski weekdays, but managed the 9-11 shift yesterday. Enjoyed all the groomers, firm but all more than capable of holding an edge. Agree on Dipper, we saw it from the lift and decided to give it a go anyway. So not surprised by lack of groom(but really Killington, it's not hard to get this right), and not surprised at being WROTD for us. Empty enough to tally 14k vertical on the short shift. By 11, felt like an inch at the peak, K reporting 6" in 24 hours? Nice, wish I could've stayed.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Decent worms out and about with some softening, especially at Bear, and tidbits of new snow here and there. Started and Bear and never crossed past Superstar [which, would have required a schlep across the lodge as the South Ridge chair was not running].

Three at Bear to start and all very good. Gateway -> Claw -> Burst good all the way with a bit of hacked up soft snow on the last pitch. Stash very good -> Shorty -> OK -> Lower Wildfire right up there for ROTD. Skyeburst good -> Northway OK -> DM Park very good.

Cruise Control very good. Needle's Eye served up some of the fist sized chunky monkey [but no gravel at least] and was WROTD.

Generally pretty good at the Supe Pod. Old Supe -> Mid Supe -> Lower Skyelark ROTD. Other variations there were all decent.

Chose Bear Cub [OK] for last run back to Bear as I was worried about the other trails re-freezing at that time.

Decent Day.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!