Treezy? (intro to glades)

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

bostonrock
Beginner On Rentals

Treezy? (intro to glades)

Post by bostonrock »

This coming Sunday will be my first time to Killington and I've been trying to research the green trails and trying to figure out which are the easier blues. On the map, I noticed a green trail called Treezy that looks like it goes in the woods. I see people's photos and I'd love to try skiing in glades but I'll be a novice skiing solo and I've read that it's best to buddy up when skiing trees. On good condition days, I can see a lot of groomed blues at Loon Mountain. Would it be foolish of me to try Treezy alone?
rogman
Postinator

Re: Treezy? (intro to glades)

Post by rogman »

The report shows Treezy as closed. Don’t know if it’s due to firm conditions or the melting earlier in the week. Lots of on and off map skiable trees at Ramshead. There’s some easy trees off of the Stash, too.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Treezy is kinda flat, I would recommend twister at the top of ramshead for an intro to the woods, it's a blue but is not too difficult, trees are spaced pretty wide, it's not very wide so you can bail out to header pretty much anywhere if you feel overwhelmed.
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

I only went in there 1-2 times this year. There are creeks in there that never filled in. I would avoid it, though it sounds like its closed anyway.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

I agree that Twister on Rams Head is a great intro to tree skiing.
bostonrock
Beginner On Rentals

Post by bostonrock »

Thanks for the info! I'll avoid going into the trees unless I can find someone to go with me then. And if I do, Twister, here I come!
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

you mention doing a lot of groomed blues, but what about moguls? do those first and get comfortable. tree runs are just moguls with trees on top. also while pricey it might be worth taking a private lesson for something like this, the coaching staff at k can direct you to proper runs for what youre looking for and give advice on technique plus you wont be alone. if you do, make sure to tip, the coaches get like 10-15% of what the mountain charges. theyre paid garbage.

also id advise against most of the trees on ramshead and snowdon despite ramshead being beginner tree terrain... the mountain bike trails destroyed the natural fall lines and create a lot of confusion in line selection especially for someone new to that type of skiing. the backsides of the berms are a bunch of rocks and often get skied off by inexperienced skiers and exposed leading to core shots or worse.

id try the stash woods, enter from inside the stash entrance rather than stashway. stashway entrances will be too steep for you. theres park features in the woods but they are easily avoidable.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

simpletwist wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 12:19 I only went in there 1-2 times this year. There are creeks in there that never filled in. I would avoid it, though it sounds like its closed anyway.
agree plus it's not really much of a tree run.

think squeeze play is an excellent tree run to learn on. mellow pitch and widely spaced trees. again might be closed and there's a couple stream crossings that need to be filled in. higher up twister's a bit steeper.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

I like twister better for ‘easy trees’ it’s higher up the mountain, and the snow is usually better up top, then down by treezy. I also think that using timberline, and dipping into the Squeeze Play trees from there allows an easy exit if the conditions are not favorable. Wait for soft, but not grabby snow, don’t go in the woods if you can’t easily make turns in the fresh snow on the edges of trails, that is a good preliminary test, but does not guarantee the trees will be good. (Glades may be significantly better or worse than the trail edges, but it’s still a decent way to check how it will be.)

Skiers should be successfully making every turn they attempt before going into the trees, and should also have a good ability at stopping quickly in both directions. If you still sometimes want to make a turn, but can’t because your weight is in the wrong position, or skis/board won’t go where you want, take another lesson, or do some more practice in ungroomed areas, practicing moguls, as was suggested earlier is always a good move too.
bostonrock
Beginner On Rentals

Post by bostonrock »

Ah...you all make an excellent point about being able to ski moguls. Sounds like I should practice more and maybe try next year since right now, I hate and fear moguls. But I'm saving these notes for the day when I feel I'm ready for the challenge. Thank you!
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

bostonrock wrote: Mar 30th, '24, 13:27 Ah...you all make an excellent point about being able to ski moguls. Sounds like I should practice more and maybe try next year since right now, I hate and fear moguls. But I'm saving these notes for the day when I feel I'm ready for the challenge. Thank you!
when youre ready to try some at k, low rider is a great trail to start with off bittersweet. hit it when its soft. the moguls never get big over there the slope is too mild. after that would be ridge run although this year for some bizarre reason theyve been grooming it?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Low road off of bittersweet going into snowshed, low rider is a tree run on Snowdon that certainly is not for learning.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Treezy is for children. Try Anarchy it is one of the easier real tree trails.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Here is Twister trees off the top of Ramshead chair. Great trees to learn how to glade ski. Even a five year old can do it.
Twister
Twister
IMG_3989 (2).jpg (538.96 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Here are the Low Rider trees. One of best our glades.
Low Rider
Low Rider
IMG_3993 (1).jpg (546.91 KiB) Viewed 235 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

GSKI wrote: Mar 30th, '24, 19:12 Treezy is for children. Try Anarchy it is one of the easier real tree trails.
Now that’s just mean. :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe