Friday 3/29 - glacial

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Friday 3/29 - glacial

Post by ozzy »

Sharpen those edges. Everything above 3000' was a frozen glacial groomed surface.
Just think, five days ago turns were silent, today they were louder than my earbuds.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Re: Friday 3/29 - glacial

Post by PinnacleJim »

It was MUCH better after lunch.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Got better as the day wore on, particularly at the lower elevations. I expect Saturday to be better, from the street looks like they’re getting after it on the grooming tonight. Still, first thing tomorrow is expected to be windy and cold with a rapid warmup towards noon.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

PinnacleJim wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 18:41 It was MUCH better after lunch.
Jeeze, really? I skied 2:15-3:45 and it was borderline brutal. Didn't even stick around for last chair as I figured what was the point?
The cool breeze certainly wasn't in your favor today.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Did you hit Highline?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

In the morning there was a fair bit of dense sugar snow with gravel, I found that was lots of work if you tried to move any of it. Probably would have been better on wider skis. Towards noon the gravel dispersed and the mix got... smoother, just a hint of soft instead of coarse rumbling. Up high I found the sheet flow iron corduroy. Today was a day to skid less and grip more. And then let the air out of the tires and try to drive in beach sand.

WROTD: Panic. Aptly named. I'm sure there were others, I just didn't feel like exploring much. Lots of unskiable stuff open - like Downdraft headwall. No thanks.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

ozzy wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 18:12 Sharpen those edges. Everything above 3000' was a frozen glacial groomed surface.
Just think, five days ago turns were silent, today they were louder than my earbuds.
Wrong. Great afternoon.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 3:30 to make it a legal day off the bubble.

Highline was pretty goood. So was the K1 bar. Always see so many people on Fridays there for some reason.

Saturday early should be firm.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Captain Hafski wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 21:48
ozzy wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 18:12 Sharpen those edges. Everything above 3000' was a frozen glacial groomed surface.
Wrong. Great afternoon.
Sorry Ozzy - Didn't mean to be harsh ! What I was trying to say was we found great corn snow most of the day, 1:15 - 4:20 shift, and very little in the way of "glacial'.

Afternoon Report: Caught it just right as riding up bubble for first run noticed Lower Chute looked like perfect corn w/ hardly any traffic on it. Through our session we realized the best conditions were pretty much due to the sun [that shone nearly full all afternoon] and no so much with respect to elevation as not much temperature difference. So, we stuck to trails that faced into the sun including low angle north facing trails. And, avoided shadowed areas.

At Snowdon, Upper Bunny and Mouse Run were great. Same for Middle / Lower Chute. Upper Mouse Trap was great and the steeper pitch quite firm, but nice just right of the groomed porcelin. Highline ROTD and worth a do-over.

Over the ridge, Stash and Dream Maker Park excellent. Shorty good, and Lower Skyeburst / Lower Wildfire very good as well with some bumps starting to form on WF. Same goes for Cruise Control and Needle's Eye though Panic Button looked firm [Middle NE very good with nice bumps]. Stitchline was a mixed bag of great skiing [where it was skied in], thin cover, mank, and worst of all frozen mank in the shadows to the right. Would have been awesome with a bit more traffic going down it.

Even Bittersweet not bad and Low Road side trip excellent. Mid Supe good and Lower Skyelark / Lower Supe much more firm, but a tad of softening in play.

Great day and as SA usually posts, gotta love it when Old Sol comes through.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

Captain Hafski wrote: Mar 30th, '24, 07:54
Captain Hafski wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 21:48
Wrong. Great afternoon.
Sorry Ozzy - Didn't mean to be harsh ! What I was trying to say was we found great corn snow most of the day, 1:15 - 4:20 shift, and very little in the way of "glacial'.

Afternoon Report: Caught it just right as riding up bubble for first run noticed Lower Chute looked like perfect corn w/ hardly any traffic on it. Through our session we realized the best conditions were pretty much due to the sun [that shone nearly full all afternoon] and no so much with respect to elevation as not much temperature difference. So, we stuck to trails that faced into the sun including low angle north facing trails. And, avoided shadowed areas.

At Snowdon, Upper Bunny and Mouse Run were great. Same for Middle / Lower Chute. Upper Mouse Trap was great and the steeper pitch quite firm, but nice just right of the groomed porcelin. Highline ROTD and worth a do-over.

Over the ridge, Stash and Dream Maker Park excellent. Shorty good, and Lower Skyeburst / Lower Wildfire very good as well with some bumps starting to form on WF. Same goes for Cruise Control and Needle's Eye though Panic Button looked firm [Middle NE very good with nice bumps]. Stitchline was a mixed bag of great skiing [where it was skied in], thin cover, mank, and worst of all frozen mank in the shadows to the right. Would have been awesome with a bit more traffic going down it.

Even Bittersweet not bad and Low Road side trip excellent. Mid Supe good and Lower Skyelark / Lower Supe much more firm, but a tad of softening in play.

Great day and as SA usually posts, gotta love it when Old Sol comes through.
You're a harsher of one's stoke I see. Lol. Just messing. All go, yo.
This was for Pico on Friday where it was glacial. Probably should have gone to Killington, but I've been working in the robinwood neighborhood across the street from poco which makes it hard not to go there as I'm looking at it all day :lol: