NPR - what we knew all along is true

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: NPR - what we knew all along is true

Post by easyrider16 »

I assume you didn't actually read the original article Uri Berliner wrote and just relied on Fox's half-ass summation? He's not actually saying they were liberal all along. In fact, he says they took a sharp turn when Trump was elected, but before that they were quite reliable. That said, it's a valid criticism. I think NPR along with many other left-leaning news organizations went a little nutty when Trump was elected and often did not treat him fairly.
For decades, since its founding in 1970, a wide swath of America tuned in to NPR for reliable journalism and gorgeous audio pieces with birds singing in the Amazon. Millions came to us for conversations that exposed us to voices around the country and the world radically different from our own—engaging precisely because they were unguarded and unpredictable. No image generated more pride within NPR than the farmer listening to Morning Edition from his or her tractor at sunrise.

Back in 2011, although NPR’s audience tilted a bit to the left, it still bore a resemblance to America at large. Twenty-six percent of listeners described themselves as conservative, 23 percent as middle of the road, and 37 percent as liberal.

By 2023, the picture was completely different: only 11 percent described themselves as very or somewhat conservative, 21 percent as middle of the road, and 67 percent of listeners said they were very or somewhat liberal. We weren’t just losing conservatives; we were also losing moderates and traditional liberals.

An open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR, and now, predictably, we don’t have an audience that reflects America.

That wouldn’t be a problem for an openly polemical news outlet serving a niche audience. But for NPR, which purports to consider all things, it’s devastating both for its journalism and its business model.

Like many unfortunate things, the rise of advocacy took off with Donald Trump. As in many newsrooms, his election in 2016 was greeted at NPR with a mixture of disbelief, anger, and despair. (Just to note, I eagerly voted against Trump twice but felt we were obliged to cover him fairly.) But what began as tough, straightforward coverage of a belligerent, truth-impaired president veered toward efforts to damage or topple Trump’s presidency.

Persistent rumors that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia over the election became the catnip that drove reporting. At NPR, we hitched our wagon to Trump’s most visible antagonist, Representative Adam Schiff.
https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how- ... icas-trust

Also - I'm not aware that NPR has ever been found liable for defamation, much less had to pay out the largest ever defamation settlement in history the way Fox news just did. NPR's problem is they try to tell you what to think and selectively cover stories that favor their point of view. Fox does those two things just as much if not more, but the bigger problem with Fox is they push outright misinformation.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 19:28 I assume you didn't actually read the original article Uri Berliner wrote and just relied on Fox's half-ass summation? He's not actually saying they were liberal all along. In fact, he says they took a sharp turn when Trump was elected, but before that they were quite reliable. That said, it's a valid criticism. I think NPR along with many other left-leaning news organizations went a little nutty when Trump was elected and often did not treat him fairly.
For decades, since its founding in 1970, a wide swath of America tuned in to NPR for reliable journalism and gorgeous audio pieces with birds singing in the Amazon. Millions came to us for conversations that exposed us to voices around the country and the world radically different from our own—engaging precisely because they were unguarded and unpredictable. No image generated more pride within NPR than the farmer listening to Morning Edition from his or her tractor at sunrise.

Back in 2011, although NPR’s audience tilted a bit to the left, it still bore a resemblance to America at large. Twenty-six percent of listeners described themselves as conservative, 23 percent as middle of the road, and 37 percent as liberal.

By 2023, the picture was completely different: only 11 percent described themselves as very or somewhat conservative, 21 percent as middle of the road, and 67 percent of listeners said they were very or somewhat liberal. We weren’t just losing conservatives; we were also losing moderates and traditional liberals.

An open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR, and now, predictably, we don’t have an audience that reflects America.

That wouldn’t be a problem for an openly polemical news outlet serving a niche audience. But for NPR, which purports to consider all things, it’s devastating both for its journalism and its business model.

Like many unfortunate things, the rise of advocacy took off with Donald Trump. As in many newsrooms, his election in 2016 was greeted at NPR with a mixture of disbelief, anger, and despair. (Just to note, I eagerly voted against Trump twice but felt we were obliged to cover him fairly.) But what began as tough, straightforward coverage of a belligerent, truth-impaired president veered toward efforts to damage or topple Trump’s presidency.

Persistent rumors that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia over the election became the catnip that drove reporting. At NPR, we hitched our wagon to Trump’s most visible antagonist, Representative Adam Schiff.
https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how- ... icas-trust

Also - I'm not aware that NPR has ever been found liable for defamation, much less had to pay out the largest ever defamation settlement in history the way Fox news just did. NPR's problem is they try to tell you what to think and selectively cover stories that favor their point of view. Fox does those two things just as much if not more, but the bigger problem with Fox is they push outright misinformation.
“ I assume”. “I’m not aware”. Pretty much sums up your blathering…..
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

More whataboutisms from ER.

NPR has been left wing biased for decades. Here is Juan Williams take:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/imprisone ... money-case
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Skid Mark wrote: Apr 10th, '24, 12:06 More whataboutisms from ER.

NPR has been left wing biased for decades. Here is Juan Williams take:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/imprisone ... money-case
I'll ask again, why the new handle Throbster. I see this all the time from MAGAs online. Imaginary friends to make your whacked out view points seem more popular than they are?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Juan Williams? Of Fox News? Why are we still citing to the organization that just paid out the biggest defamation settlement in history?