Tuesday 4/9 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Tuesday 4/9 report

Post by RustyK »

9:00 K1 with the 802. Upper EF firm. Lower was perfect.

Found GIS and crew. Over to needles. Thimble variable. Panic nice.
Couple over there.

Back at the box and over to the now running bubble. Getting sticky. Went back up top.
Ovation not too bad. Lower still needed time.

Lunch with Rogman and grill at bay one. The G’s and Moose in tow.
George of the jungle showed up for the woods tour. Couple of Anarcy’s and Julio. Sticky but doable. Exits were good.
Saw this tribute (picture) in Julio. Do not know this guy, but nice touch.
Good end of the day bay one with some others. Weather was perfect.
Attachments
IMG_1206.jpeg
IMG_1206.jpeg (453.57 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: Tuesday 4/9 report

Post by MrsG »

Nice guy!
Great day too!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

RustyK wrote: Apr 10th, '24, 06:27 Do not know this guy, but nice touch.
He's the man that set the all time vertical record with 6.7M vert feet in a season.

I didn't know the man, but I have a story about him. The third weekend of May 2018, I'm skiing superstar with friends, and this guy is yelling from the lift. I'm like okay, weird. We eventually catch up at the top of the headwall. Somehow or another he knew that I did ~9.9M vert in three years and he wants to know how I did it. Im thinking this is weird, but it's superstar in May. Theres a lot of weird. He tells me that he had just set the all time single season vert record. We compare stats and strategies. I tell him he's nuts and I personally will never ski over 1.5M again. He laughs, I congratulate him. I then tell him that my goal is for 3000 recorded killington days by 2022, I was north of 2600 days at the time. He wishes me luck. We shake hands and ski off. He went right, I went left down the headwall.
Saw him in passing a cple more times early season the following year than I heard he passed shortly thereafter.
Nice man from what I gathered that one time we met. RIP Mr Scott Howard. I'm happy to see someone paid respects and put a picture of him in what I gather is one of his favorite woods lines.

https://mountaintimes.info/scott-howard ... -champion/
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Pretty much a rinse and repeat of the day before re: conditions.

Parked at Supe and stayed on that side to avoid the pasty schelp across K1 lodge.

Pretty sticky over the back including Stash. Cruise Control and Needle's Eye good. High Road even better.

Supe ROTD. Skyelark very good but flat. Bittersweet, incl. HW and Low Road very good.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

great story ozzy. next time will have to look for that in julio. got to ski with and know scott a bit. a special guy and a great skier and of course his endurance and dedication was legend. truly a man for all seasons. influenced a number of folks. when he wasn't chasing vertical, occasionally he'd slum w us (including ty) and ski a couple runs (jokingly telling me to "slow down"). and yup remember skiing julio w him. when i had heard he had passed was stunned because i had run into him on the hill earlier that season and had no idea he was sick. thanks for the foto. r.i.p.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Thats awesome. I need to retire. Best I have is 1.6 mil vert for a flatlander
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Today Wednesday GIS did remind me that I met Scott on Sup that year he was setting that record.
Dude was hardcore.
Where is Happy Hour ?
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Dude GFY wrote: Apr 10th, '24, 15:51 Thats awesome. I need to retire. Best I have is 1.6 mil vert for a flatlander
40k for 40 days? 1.6M

I'm only good for 20k/dy on the high end. After that I get pretty unfocused. I tried to do 30k this season and called it at 28 because it just seemed pointless.

My kids can do 15-20k in three hrs with a short break. Then they're usually ready to do something else. That's good enough for me.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

I hit 18k in the back bowls at vail on a powder day and nearly died getting back to the base. It was difficult to stop or turn. I can’t imagine 30k in a single day. That is hardcore
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Pfft…
IMG_7314.jpg
(1.23 MiB) Not downloaded yet
This was the last day of 8 straight where I averaged 28k/day. I’m sure there are many others that do much more than this.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

spanky wrote: Apr 11th, '24, 18:18 Pfft…

IMG_7314.jpg

This was the last day of 8 straight where I averaged 28k/day. I’m sure there are many others that do much more than this.
Altitude matters. I challenge you to ski the same vert at 10k plus. We could have a vert off at breck or the basin!
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Nikoli wrote:
spanky wrote: Apr 11th, '24, 18:18 Pfft…

IMG_7314.jpg

Altitude matters. I challenge you to ski the same vert at 10k plus. We could have a vert off at breck or the basin!
Last time I was in CO. The limiting factor here was that I was with my 12 yo son.
IMG_7318.jpg
(1.24 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I just got back from skiing 8 straight days in UT (Park City and Alta)… including hikes at 10k. But the good skiing at PC is not conducive to high vert numbers. You’re lucky to get 4k ft/hour skiing and hiking off the Jupiter double. So, more like 20k ft/day.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit