Sticky snow

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

my poor knees
Green Skidder

Re: Sticky snow

Post by my poor knees »

I did read that stone grinds help, I get one after every season, but maybe next time I'll ask for a deeper or more aggressive structure. But I'm thinking I might have missed an important step, I didn't brush the wax out of the structure after waxing, could this be the mistake I made? I might have to try a rub on and carry it, thanks for the help!
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

my poor knees wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 18:19 I did read that stone grinds help, I get one after every season, but maybe next time I'll ask for a deeper or more aggressive structure. But I'm thinking I might have missed an important step, I didn't brush the wax out of the structure after waxing, could this be the mistake I made? I might have to try a rub on and carry it, thanks for the help!
Short answer is yes, all other things being equal, brushing the wax out enough to expose the base structure should absolutely help in wet conditions (assuming you have any structure left in the base). But keep in mind that snow conditions are constantly changing. As you mentioned, just going from sun to shade can make a big difference. Sometimes nothing can prevent the stickiness. A good way to judge your base prep is to see how your skis are doing compared to others. If you are keeping up with everyone else on the runouts then you are doing ok, if you are passing them, congrats.

Rubbing, or crayoning, on wax can help in wet conditions for two reasons. One, its wax. Two, rubbing it on, and not brushing or scrapping it smooth, creates some additional texture on the bottom of the ski to break up that suction. The problem with just rubbing on wax is it does not last very long.

Regarding base grinds, you may not want to get a deeper, more aggressive structure if you only get one grind a year. That aggresive Spring structure will slow you down a little in colder, drier conditions.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Pam cooking spray and keep one of your skiis off the snow at all times! Follow me on Bookface for more useless pro tips!
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

"Sometimes nothing can prevent the stickiness"
Quite true. half the 'fun' is working the shadows and being ready for the change up. another reason i could never have lunch beers, reaction times slowed, gotta be on your game in that snow.