SkyeShip Gondala > Number of busted chairs..

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RENO
Whipping Post

Re: SkyeShip Gondala > Number of busted chairs..

Post by RENO »

newpylong1 wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 06:31
RENO wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 20:17 It did go to the peak 93-95 whatever the name of it was then. At least a couple of those years. I still remember doing a faceplant coming down that trail near the bottom! LOL and going back up on the gondola to the peak bleeding and going to the bathroom to clean my bloody face. Do you not remember the big giant hole in the side of the peak lodge before they tore it down to build the new peak lodge?
Yes the original Killington 4 person gondola went to the summit but was replaced in 1994. It's replacement (Skyeship) did not go to the summit due to stage 3 wind and K-1 coming shortly thereafter. I don't think the red K Gondola had mountain biking but I could be wrong. Since I was born in '81 this is before my time but I've seen pictures of the original K Gondola used for scenic does in the 70s.
I will dig up my ancient pictures from the few times I rode that gondola while mountain biking. I think mountain biking started 91. The gondola did not run for mountain biking 91 or 92, but it did run for 1 or 2 years 93-94 before being replaced and not going to the top anymore. The trail at the bottom you rode on was Juggernaut because I remember the switchback at the bottom and you came out at the bottom on the opposite side of the lodge, not where you come from Great Eastern. Parts of Juggernaut I believe was part of Trail 1 at the time. I remember the one October when they opened for skiing off of the double. I rode up and had to cut across the snow to get to the bike trails. I then spent the rest of the day riding the gondola to avoid doing that again. I didn't even ski or snowboard yet at the time. It was only my 2nd fall up there. I had a Diamond Back Topanga steel bike with no suspension. Can't imagine doing that now! LOL!
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

It would be nice if Killington would communicate with us better and tell us what the five year plan is as far as lift replacement and upgrades so we can stop guessing.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

RENO wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 08:38
newpylong1 wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 06:31
RENO wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 20:17 It did go to the peak 93-95 whatever the name of it was then. At least a couple of those years. I still remember doing a faceplant coming down that trail near the bottom! LOL and going back up on the gondola to the peak bleeding and going to the bathroom to clean my bloody face. Do you not remember the big giant hole in the side of the peak lodge before they tore it down to build the new peak lodge?
Yes the original Killington 4 person gondola went to the summit but was replaced in 1994. It's replacement (Skyeship) did not go to the summit due to stage 3 wind and K-1 coming shortly thereafter. I don't think the red K Gondola had mountain biking but I could be wrong. Since I was born in '81 this is before my time but I've seen pictures of the original K Gondola used for scenic does in the 70s.
I will dig up my ancient pictures from the few times I rode that gondola while mountain biking. I think mountain biking started 91. The gondola did not run for mountain biking 91 or 92, but it did run for 1 or 2 years 93-94 before being replaced and not going to the top anymore. The trail at the bottom you rode on was Juggernaut because I remember the switchback at the bottom and you came out at the bottom on the opposite side of the lodge, not where you come from Great Eastern. Parts of Juggernaut I believe was part of Trail 1 at the time. I remember the one October when they opened for skiing off of the double. I rode up and had to cut across the snow to get to the bike trails. I then spent the rest of the day riding the gondola to avoid doing that again. I didn't even ski or snowboard yet at the time. It was only my 2nd fall up there. I had a Diamond Back Topanga steel bike with no suspension. Can't imagine doing that now! LOL!
Fascinating, thank you for the info!
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

jimmywilson69 wrote:well that's something I never thought of... Hard to think they make enough $$$ to run 2 gondolas and 2 lifts. but maybe they do.

You are correct though, they could collapse the bike park to operate off of skyeship only once things start happening in the basin.
They might also need to do this when the lodge and parking lot get ripped up. One would think there’s going to be at least two years where MTBing is screwed as far as base area access while the village is being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk