New lift planned

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GSKI
Powderhound

Re: New lift planned

Post by GSKI »

Doppelmayer people are in town. For the new lift. Not this one.
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

GSKI wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 16:47 Doppelmayer people are in town. For the new lift. Not this one.
It would be a pretty big deal for K to go with Dopp. It's been nearly an all Poma operation for a very long time.
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Mistergiff wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 18:43
GSKI wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 16:47 Doppelmayer people are in town. For the new lift. Not this one.
It would be a pretty big deal for K to go with Dopp. It's been nearly an all Poma operation for a very long time.
Given the issue with Needles and timeline to get replacement parts - maybe its time for a change.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Reminds me of when Kraft started negotiating with the CT governor to bring the Patriots to CT. Fancy big stadiums were designed on cocktail napkins, financing was offered, news stations carried speculation. It reached a hot pitch. Boom, MA agreed to build a new stadium.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

SPORE wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 20:30
Mistergiff wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 18:43
Given the issue with Needles and timeline to get replacement parts - maybe its time for a change.
They would be smart to at least test the waters. Dopplemayr has leapfrogged Poma in reliability and in the case of New England, ability to deliver on time. Mount Snow was all Poma until Vail took over, now all Dopp.
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

newpylong1 wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 06:57 They would be smart to at least test the waters. Dopplemayr has leapfrogged Poma in reliability and in the case of New England, ability to deliver on time. Mount Snow was all Poma until Vail took over, now all Dopp.
Seems that'd be important if they were to go about replacing a lift that runs late in the season and has an ironclad deadline for opening.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I don't really anticipate them switching. All of their detachables and most of their fixed grips are Poma. If they were to switch to Doppelmayr, then the entire lift maintenance staff would have to completely relearn how to do their jobs. And then they'd need to work with two manufacturers to keep parts in stock. It's much easier to stick with Poma. As for Mount Snow, they didn't switch to Doppelmayr because they didn't like Poma. It's because Vail Resorts awarded the lift contracts that year by region, and Doppelmayr won the contract for New England, which also included Sunrise at Stowe.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Boyne or Vail ? Isn't Aspen Poma ?

The Dopps at Big Sky seem sooooooooooo much nicer - and they do seem to run with less stops.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Looks like Alterra goes both ways..............

https://www.saminfo.com/archives/2020-2 ... gger-lifts
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 08:21 I don't really anticipate them switching. All of their detachables and most of their fixed grips are Poma. If they were to switch to Doppelmayr, then the entire lift maintenance staff would have to completely relearn how to do their jobs. And then they'd need to work with two manufacturers to keep parts in stock. It's much easier to stick with Poma. As for Mount Snow, they didn't switch to Doppelmayr because they didn't like Poma. It's because Vail Resorts awarded the lift contracts that year by region, and Doppelmayr won the contract for New England, which also included Sunrise at Stowe.
My point was not who liked or didn't like whom, but that it's not unprecedented for a 100% single vendor resort to switch.

I also agree that it is not likely.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

newpylong1 wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 10:31
snoloco wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 08:21 I don't really anticipate them switching. All of their detachables and most of their fixed grips are Poma. If they were to switch to Doppelmayr, then the entire lift maintenance staff would have to completely relearn how to do their jobs. And then they'd need to work with two manufacturers to keep parts in stock. It's much easier to stick with Poma. As for Mount Snow, they didn't switch to Doppelmayr because they didn't like Poma. It's because Vail Resorts awarded the lift contracts that year by region, and Doppelmayr won the contract for New England, which also included Sunrise at Stowe.
My point was not who liked or didn't like whom, but that it's not unprecedented for a 100% single vendor resort to switch.

I also agree that it is not likely.
It's not like an airline switching from Boeing to Airbus...
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 21:50 Reminds me of when Kraft started negotiating with the CT governor to bring the Patriots to CT. Fancy big stadiums were designed on cocktail napkins, financing was offered, news stations carried speculation. It reached a hot pitch. Boom, MA agreed to build a new stadium.
I’m not particularly a fan of the Krafts, but you are way off base here.

The Krafts paid 100% of the construction cost of Gillette Stadium and the land. The state kicked in for infrastructure improvements (Rte 1 was a mess) which they repaid as a long term loan.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 16:24
Mister Moose wrote: Apr 15th, '24, 21:50 Reminds me of when Kraft started negotiating with the CT governor to bring the Patriots to CT. Fancy big stadiums were designed on cocktail napkins, financing was offered, news stations carried speculation. It reached a hot pitch. Boom, MA agreed to build a new stadium.

The Krafts paid 100% of the construction cost of Gillette Stadium and the land. The state kicked in for infrastructure improvements (Rte 1 was a mess) which they repaid as a long term loan.
Route 1 is still a mess...
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

The point isn't what the state of MA paid for, (Sorry if I oversimplified) the point was the wooing of CT publicly to put pressure on MA and achieve a better deal.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 16th, '24, 19:39

The point isn't what the state of MA paid for, (Sorry if I oversimplified) the point was the wooing of CT publicly to put pressure on MA and achieve a better deal.
You have still over simplified, but the sour grapes by a Connecticut resident is not surprising. :lol:

Kraft wanted help building a new stadium (Gillette). Speaker of the Massachusetts House Tom Finneran shot him down, calling Kraft a "whiny, fat-assed millionaire". Basically, "you'll get nothing and like it". Now, what Kraft was asking for was help fixing the infrastructure around the stadium, basically Rte. 1. While a major highway, it has curb cuts along its entire route. Traffic flow in an out of the existing stadium was a mess. That's pretty much the case from Maine to Florida. In response, Kraft cut a very favorable deal with Connecticut, but with an out clause.

But here's the thing. MA takes in a lot of tax money from people who work at Gillette. Not the many minimum wage workers, I'm talking football players. That's a lot of tax revenue every year. The Speaker realized he'd overplayed his hand, and they negotiated a $72 million in infrastructure improvements which Kraft would pay back via a long term loan. I believe the key piece was a bridge from Gillette over the highway to the south bound side of Rte 1.

Blackmail? Kind of. However, it was unlikely the NFL was ever going to allow Kraft to move the Patriots from the 6th largest market (Boston) to Hartford (27th). It was just negotiations. Now compare that with Buffalo Bills: $600 million paid by the State of NY; $250 million paid by Erie County; $690 million paid by the Bills. Owner fracking mogul Terry Pegula threatened to move the team unless he got financial help. Didn't have a signed deal with another locale as Kraft did. Now that's blackmail.

Perhaps POWDR should threaten to move Killington to Connecticut unless Vermont ponies up some money for new lifts.
Last edited by rogman on Apr 19th, '24, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.