Only Superstar Quad After this Weekend!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: Only Superstar Quad After this Weekend!

Post by snoloco »

In 2023, the last day for anything but Superstar was April 23rd. They were out of snow and couldn't go any further. In 2022, the last day for K1 and North Ridge was April 24th, and the last day for Snowdon and Ramshead was May 1st. In 2021, the last day for K1, North Ridge, and Snowdon was April 25th, and they lacked the snow to go any later. This year, they'll shut it all down earlier than the other years, despite ample coverage to keep going.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

RustyK wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 10:24 Kinda surprised they could not just run the K1 for another week.

Down to sup with upper mountain this good just means lots of peeps walking.

I know it’s a staffing issue but……
yet when i bring up the issue of relying on J1s because they dont pay livable wages to local workers i get ridiculed on this forum. well, yall reap what you sow. the cognitive dissonance is real.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

buckethead wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 12:47 yes!
if they can shutter the hill 4 days a week in may regardless of weather, they could shutter most of the hill on shitty days in april in the name of preserving the snowpack.

many mtns beyond the expected - like MRG - shuttered for entire rainy days midwinter.

on monday, i was constantly surprised to look up and see people on the chairs.

i'd have given that up for tuesday in an instant with a day's notice.
the downside of that is people plan their vacations and lodging months in advance. we can have a week of r*in at a time. if they closed because the weather is bad (but otherwise skiable conditions) midwinter theyd piss off a lot of people. they often close early when its crappy out for what its worth...

honestly if we encourage this (closing when bad weather) theyll just do that AND not add any days when its nice out. because its a bunch of eggheads that only care about the spreadsheets and see everything as a labor cost rather than a profit making opportunity...
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 10:57 In 2022, literally the height of the labor shortage, they had 3 lifts open on May 1st. The staffing excuse doesn't work anymore.
snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 11:10 In 2022, when they kept Ramshead and Snowdon open, they actually filled up both the K1 and Ramshead parking lots, both days of the weekend. I cannot think of a more clear case for keeping things open.
snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 14:35 In 2023, the last day for anything but Superstar was April 23rd. They were out of snow and couldn't go any further. In 2022, the last day for K1 and North Ridge was April 24th, and the last day for Snowdon and Ramshead was May 1st. In 2021, the last day for K1, North Ridge, and Snowdon was April 25th, and they lacked the snow to go any later. This year, they'll shut it all down earlier than the other years, despite ample coverage to keep going.
that year was anomaly, they closed k1 early for demolition to build the rest of the lodge.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

fdskier56 wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 12:03 Yet during the spring summer fall they run
2 lifts every day of the week
3 lifts 4 days a week.

Are there really that many bikes up there midweek in June and sept ?

Do they ever scale back that schedule due to lack of demand?
new batch of J1s for the summer operations
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

time to break out the skins...and get some walking in.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 14:44
snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 10:57 In 2022, literally the height of the labor shortage, they had 3 lifts open on May 1st. The staffing excuse doesn't work anymore.
snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 11:10 In 2022, when they kept Ramshead and Snowdon open, they actually filled up both the K1 and Ramshead parking lots, both days of the weekend. I cannot think of a more clear case for keeping things open.
snoloco wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 14:35 In 2023, the last day for anything but Superstar was April 23rd. They were out of snow and couldn't go any further. In 2022, the last day for K1 and North Ridge was April 24th, and the last day for Snowdon and Ramshead was May 1st. In 2021, the last day for K1, North Ridge, and Snowdon was April 25th, and they lacked the snow to go any later. This year, they'll shut it all down earlier than the other years, despite ample coverage to keep going.
that year was anomaly, they closed k1 early for demolition to build the rest of the lodge.
If it weren't for the lodge, then K1 would've stayed open till May 1st instead of Snowdon and Ramshead. They didn't keep additional terrain open later because of the lodge. They swapped which lifts they would've run later.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I'm counting on one of those "bonus" weekends for the K1 as I think there will be enough snow. last year there was limited snow left on the K1 served trails.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

K1 closed today because of icing!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Even with the announced closing of everything but the Superstar lift they’re still selling spring passes per The Drift.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

GSKI wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 15:52 I'm counting on one of those "bonus" weekends for the K1 as I think there will be enough snow. last year there was limited snow left on the K1 served trails.
i wouldnt count on it, if they wont even run pub food daily at the height of winter (F&B highest profit margin) you think theyre gonna run an expensive lift for diehard passholders at the end of the season while the wealthy city people are busy getting their boats and summer houses ready?!
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

If they’re only gonna run one lift, would it make more sense to run the K-1 gondola where you can hit more terrain than just the superstar lift?
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 14:39
RustyK wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 10:24 Kinda surprised they could not just run the K1 for another week.

Down to sup with upper mountain this good just means lots of peeps walking.

I know it’s a staffing issue but……
yet when i bring up the issue of relying on J1s because they dont pay livable wages to local workers i get ridiculed on this forum. well, yall reap what you sow. the cognitive dissonance is real.
at orientation this year someone asked why they are bringing in the J1s instead of hiring locals. The answer was that Vermont has an unemployment rate under 2% and those who want to work are already working.
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

heiusa wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 21:02 If they’re only gonna run one lift, would it make more sense to run the K-1 gondola where you can hit more terrain than just the superstar lift?
I don't know much of anything, but this sounds like a wicked good idea to me.
Raise 'Em Jay
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ then they'd have more terrain to groom/maintain...and would need to keep runout viable. more effort $$ they clearly don't wanna expend. even if it would make their spring passes thaf much more attractive in terms of trail count/miles of terrain etc.