Only Superstar Quad After this Weekend!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Only Superstar Quad After this Weekend!

Post by daytripper »

The closing down to just supe with all that snow out there can't be good for next year's spring pass sales.
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

daytripper wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 09:41 The closing down to just supe with all that snow out there can't be good for next year's spring pass sales.
I agree, but it doesn’t seem like they care. 24-25 K-tickets are available already, and they are $139, another big price jump. Probably indicates that day of window tickets will have a similar price jump.

Seems like the days of catering to day pass and/or bargains hunting skiers is long gone.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ yup, that all went out the window with covid.
the ski club discounts, mobil 2for1s.
even most smaller areas charge over for a hundred a day mid-week.
Last edited by buckethead on Apr 19th, '24, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Dude GFY wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 17:25 K1 closed today because of icing!
that was real. it was 22 degrees at the peak yesterday with freezing r*in. believe it had a 15 min delayed start this morning. saw icicles hanging off the canyon chair today.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

heiusa wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 21:02 If they’re only gonna run one lift, would it make more sense to run the K-1 gondola where you can hit more terrain than just the superstar lift?
only viable as long as you have lower mtn trails to the bottom. maybe we get another week or so out of the runout. maybe a little longer on lower bunny. skiing the canyon would be great but now skiing the superstar becomes a pain. do you really wanna make that push across back to the K1 in soft, sticky snow. would get old fast. and ultimately it would revert to supe. you're just delaying the inevitable.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

extremely disappointed. and yeah it sux. but the reality is no one is here. even on a friday which can be as busy as a sunday, beyond empty and they're running 5 lifts. and demand would normally drop off even more next week. they're not gonna run empty chairlifts particularly in a season that was financially not the best. we have the snow but the bean counters are gonna win.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Y'all need to let Mike know your disappointments. He told me nobody ever complains. Saying it here doesn't appear to reach him. Shout it out.
msolimano@killington.com
ImageImageImageImage
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Today, and yesterday had r*in in the forecast. I'm sure the weekend will be busier. The line for the Superstar lift will back up the hill next weekend if they don't have any additional lifts open.
HomeyTim
Beginner On Rentals

Post by HomeyTim »

I can’t remember a year I haven’t gotten a survey questionnaire from Killington on my satisfaction with the mountain/service, but, curiously none this year! Lot’s to bitch about… unplowed parking lots, lack of early season terrain, lack of communication about lifts on hold, Needles Quad debacle, reliability of Skyeship, wrapping up the season early, rude employees trying to close the Bear Lodge early during the week, not to mention the abortion on Viper Pit early this season…. I could go on. But, I suspect K knows that the survey results would not be pretty…

I ski’d Surgarbush for the first time this year - wow! Very pleasant.. not up to Killington’s scale, but it made me realize what a well-run ski resort looks like. The party for the eclipse was a particular highlight…
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Sugarbush is not what I'd call a well-run resort. They've had constant lift problems the last few seasons. Seems to be a lack of basic maintenance. Multiple times when there was enough snow, they didn't run Slide Brook, which means you can't ski the whole mountain.

I didn't get a survey either. It's like they want to rely on email complaints and this forum as their only guest feedback, not that they care anymore. I got a survey from Stratton about future capital improvements, even though I only skied there 6 times this year.
HomeyTim
Beginner On Rentals

Post by HomeyTim »

I have a very low bar for “well run resort”… no suspension breaking pot holes in the parking lots, actual greeters communicating mountain status, newer lodges that aren’t reminiscent of bus depots, restrooms that get cleaned more than once a week, great web cams….

I definitely prefer K terrain/lifts, but in spite of their lifts, I got nearly the same amount of vertical in a day of skiing ‘bush as I would have gotten at K (37K+-/day). Much better working vertical at Sugarbush…

Slidebrook is what it is…. No ski resort is perfect…

I made a complaint via the website to customer service last year about a Lifty who watched a group of skiers get mowed down by the Bubble multiple times and didnt bother to stop/slow the lift or help them. No response, the same Lifty was there the rest of the season and was back this season…
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

A lot of K high speed lifts are from the 1990s. This is huge period of upgrade coming.
http://www.chairlift.org/killington.html
For the deep dive:

https://www.nelsap.org/
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 19:20 Sugarbush is not what I'd call a well-run resort. They've had constant lift problems the last few seasons. Seems to be a lack of basic maintenance. Multiple times when there was enough snow, they didn't run Slide Brook, which means you can't ski the whole mountain.

I didn't get a survey either. It's like they want to rely on email complaints and this forum as their only guest feedback, not that they care anymore. I got a survey from Stratton about future capital improvements, even though I only skied there 6 times this year.
Let's not overgeneralize or make assumptions about maintenance, or lack thereof. There are systemic issues with several of their lifts that have nothing to do with maintenance. The solution is ultimately replacement, and it's happening.

The Slidebrook safety operating policy that was implemented during the Win Smith era has drastically reduced the number of days that Slidebrook can operate. It largely has become an easy way for them to just keep the lift shuttered. I don't see it changing because this is the second owner that is just as happy to see the lift idle as operating, which is a real shame and detriment to their brand.
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 14:39
RustyK wrote: Apr 18th, '24, 10:24 Kinda surprised they could not just run the K1 for another week.

Down to sup with upper mountain this good just means lots of peeps walking.

I know it’s a staffing issue but……
yet when i bring up the issue of relying on J1s because they dont pay livable wages to local workers i get ridiculed on this forum. well, yall reap what you sow. the cognitive dissonance is real.
As a vail resorts employee I can tell you our lifties make more than team leads at killington... I was just at killington Friday talking with one liftie about jumping over...
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I nicely asked Mike for a bonus K1 weekend on April 27 and 28th so we're good.