"At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bumper

Re: "At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Post by 180 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 17:23 People are also asking about the peace park, but I think the features have already been taken down. Missed opportunity to keep it going 2-3 more weekends, even if it was not connected to other terrain. It got pretty crowded on Sunday, despite subpar weather. All the park rats across the Northeast who's home mountains closed weeks ago could've been spring pass buyers.

As for North Ridge, traditionally 3 lifts have run the last weekend before it goes down to just Superstar. If the weather is nice, then they'd definitely have the turnout to support 3 lifts. Could be North Ridge or Snowdon, but I wouldn't count on either.

Next week looks pretty warm, so I'm not sure what the coverage situation will be. I wouldn't count on another bonus weekend, but I'd say if there's enough snow and the weather looks nice, then they should go for it.
Peace Park gone, I skinned up there today.
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

From the email they sent out yesterday:
After this weekend, we’ll return to our scheduled spring plan which, calls for the Superstar Express Quad daily through Sunday, May 5 and then Friday-Sunday for as along as the snow lasts – hopefully ‘till June!
So, open all of next week!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

180 wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 19:44
Peace Park gone, I skinned up there today.
They made snow there for multiple weeks plus all of the grooming effort... I'm sure it doesn't make sense to operate that pod independently if Caper isn't open, but that seems like a waste.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 15:09
snoloco wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 06:32 Wish they would've just announced this beforehand. Now everyone was pissed off for nothing. If they were going to pick one lift to run, then K1 serves the most terrain. Not that I'm counting on it, but they have added extra lifts at the last minute in the past. For example, in 2022, it was supposed to only be Ramshead that got the bonus weekend, but then at the last minute, they added Snowdon.
happy for you. glad you still found something to complain about. kzone wouldn't be the same w/o a snoloco whine even if it's about a good thing. maybe next year they won't do the "bonus" weekend thing so you can be pissed off "for something". can't make this up.

and yeah disappointed by the initial announcement, but most of us believed they would come around and do the "bonus". and maybe they are playing a bit of the underpromise/overdeliver game. on the other hand they've been burned by so many bad weather weekends, they wanted to be absolutely sure about the weather plus bookings/ticket sales played a part. guessing this past weekends big turnout pushed them over the edge. also perhaps by announcing last weekend as the "closing" weekend for a number of lifts they got a larger than expected turnout.

as others have said, if there's one thing to be disappointed about is that they're not running the K1 friday.
Ya beat me to it !

Don't forget, I am sure K has info re: how many Ikon passes out there have K days left.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 15:09
snoloco wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 06:32 Wish they would've just announced this beforehand. Now everyone was pissed off for nothing. If they were going to pick one lift to run, then K1 serves the most terrain. Not that I'm counting on it, but they have added extra lifts at the last minute in the past. For example, in 2022, it was supposed to only be Ramshead that got the bonus weekend, but then at the last minute, they added Snowdon.
happy for you. glad you still found something to complain about. kzone wouldn't be the same w/o a snoloco whine even if it's about a good thing. maybe next year they won't do the "bonus" weekend thing so you can be pissed off "for something". can't make this up.

and yeah disappointed by the initial announcement, but most of us believed they would come around and do the "bonus". and maybe they are playing a bit of the underpromise/overdeliver game. on the other hand they've been burned by so many bad weather weekends, they wanted to be absolutely sure about the weather plus bookings/ticket sales played a part. guessing this past weekends big turnout pushed them over the edge. also perhaps by announcing last weekend as the "closing" weekend for a number of lifts they got a larger than expected turnout.

as others have said, if there's one thing to be disappointed about is that they're not running the K1 friday.
My guess is it's K's effort to harbor some good will after a horribly disappointing operational effort this season. Makes it look like the customer gets something extra, when in reality they planned to operate this weekend either way...
ImageImageImageImage
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

As a "former" midweek passer of many years (Spring pass this year), I certainly would not be a happy camper about no Friday. Of course, they could also just allow midweekers next weekend, but they probably won't. They have gotten a little greedier recently in this regard. There were occasional years where they allowed midweekers on weekends a couple of weeks earlier, including passholder appreciation day. That's over. Now they can come for the free lunch, but have to pay to ski. Spring passholders can ski, but have to pay for the lunch.

Turnout last Saturday was large from a parking lot perspective. Not so much on the hill. I "waited" once at Rams for maybe 2 minutes. The same with K1. They were like mild midweek levels. The bubble and NR were ski on.

The lodge and deck were packed.

So let's not overstate the crowds last weekend as a need for more lifts this weekend.

The K1 will do JUST FINE.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Things are going to melt quick looking at the forecast from here on out. I think any talk of anything beyond SS after this weekend is probably wishful thinking purely from a coverage perspective.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 17:23 People are also asking about the peace park, but I think the features have already been taken down. Missed opportunity to keep it going 2-3 more weekends, even if it was not connected to other terrain. It got pretty crowded on Sunday, despite subpar weather. All the park rats across the Northeast who's home mountains closed weeks ago could've been spring pass buyers.

As for North Ridge, traditionally 3 lifts have run the last weekend before it goes down to just Superstar. If the weather is nice, then they'd definitely have the turnout to support 3 lifts. Could be North Ridge or Snowdon, but I wouldn't count on either.

Next week looks pretty warm, so I'm not sure what the coverage situation will be. I wouldn't count on another bonus weekend, but I'd say if there's enough snow and the weather looks nice, then they should go for it.
totally agree with this re peace park - theyre leaving $ on the table by not keeping it open for an encore weekend or even two if the weather worked out, separate as its own pod. i bet one of the reasons why besides money is the liability in keeping the park up but not open or maintained midweek, if some yahoo decides to hike up and gets themselves hurt on the way down they could potentially get sued. there was plenty of snow in there as is, i doubt much rebuilding would of been needed to keep it operational. but this spring has been an anomaly in many ways thats hard to plan for, we got 9' of snow since the start of spring and its been colder than usual at night and not too many devastating r*in events. hopefully the weather keeps up for may...

also obligatory whining about the new park - can we pretty please get like one box? just one? three barrel options is... excessively barrely. that long flat box at a slight up angle in peace park was sweet, but an ollie on dance pad table top thing or even just the wider rainbow box would of been awesome. i hate barrels. barrels give me f*** trust issues.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 10:13 As a "former" midweek passer of many years (Spring pass this year), I certainly would not be a happy camper about no Friday. Of course, they could also just allow midweekers next weekend, but they probably won't. They have gotten a little greedier recently in this regard. There were occasional years where they allowed midweekers on weekends a couple of weeks earlier, including passholder appreciation day. That's over. Now they can come for the free lunch, but have to pay to ski. Spring passholders can ski, but have to pay for the lunch.

Turnout last Saturday was large from a parking lot perspective. Not so much on the hill. I "waited" once at Rams for maybe 2 minutes. The same with K1. They were like mild midweek levels. The bubble and NR were ski on.

So let's not overstate the crowds last weekend as a need for more lifts this weekend.

thats because most skiers and riders cant ski/ride spring conditions or bumped terrain. as soon as it gets choppy theyre done for the day. ramshead was packed full of park rats (to the point where riding park felt unsafe), you must of just hit it at the right time to not really need to wait.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 14:30
Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 10:13 As a "former" midweek passer of many years (Spring pass this year), I certainly would not be a happy camper about no Friday. Of course, they could also just allow midweekers next weekend, but they probably won't. They have gotten a little greedier recently in this regard. There were occasional years where they allowed midweekers on weekends a couple of weeks earlier, including passholder appreciation day. That's over. Now they can come for the free lunch, but have to pay to ski. Spring passholders can ski, but have to pay for the lunch.

thats because most skiers and riders cant ski/ride spring conditions or bumped terrain. as soon as it gets choppy theyre done for the day. ramshead was packed full of park rats (to the point where riding park felt unsafe), you must of just hit it at the right time to not really need to wait.
agree regarding the turnout. many folks came for the weekend festivities - passholder lunch and dazed & confused and most can't ski spring conditions. they get out and do their couple runs before it gets too hacked/soupy and are done. heard conditions saturday got better later at which point most folks were done anyway and into the party. thought conditions sucked sunday when i got out late morning.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

I see this on the conditions report. I assume this is the little strip of Skye Hawk below Launch Pad. Will that be a draw for those so inclined?

Woodward Mountain Parks
Park Crew has completed a hike park up on Skye Hawk, which has four features and is the only open terrain park remaining. Head up there for your late season jibbing pleasures!
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Midwest Skier wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 15:27 I see this on the conditions report. I assume this is the little strip of Skye Hawk below Launch Pad. Will that be a draw for those so inclined?

Woodward Mountain Parks
Park Crew has completed a hike park up on Skye Hawk, which has four features and is the only open terrain park remaining. Head up there for your late season jibbing pleasures!
This has become a standard spring build. I wouldn't call it a draw, but it does get used.
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 16:01
Midwest Skier wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 15:27 I see this on the conditions report. I assume this is the little strip of Skye Hawk below Launch Pad. Will that be a draw for those so inclined?

Woodward Mountain Parks
This has become a standard spring build. I wouldn't call it a draw, but it does get used.
And they have quite a bit of snow on it!
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

They are open daily thru May 5th. Check the lift ticket sales portal. Easy hack to figure it out.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Grmmtnhkr34 wrote: Apr 24th, '24, 22:29 They are open daily thru May 5th. Check the lift ticket sales portal. Easy hack to figure it out.
This is also pretty much standard practice when the calendar comes around to it. They weren't going to close just for May 2nd, and they never suggested they would. They have been pretty clear about being open daily through May 5th. People were just guessing otherwise.

But I wouldn't use the ticket sales page as the definitive answer on these things either. It was originally incorrect, showing the resort as closed on Fridays in May, while the correct information was on the operational schedule part of the site.
2024 - Killington lied.