Superstar chair

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Superstar chair

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

Anyone know what's going on with the superstar chair? Been breaking down a lot. It went down at like 3:40 today (sunday) and didn't reopen. Sounded like it would reset but wouldn't actually start when the start button was held. Then I heard what sounded like the air being let out of something for quite awhile. After that I hightailed it to k1 for my last run.

Great day though. Really good bump lines, especially on dipper.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Superstar chair

Post by Downdraft »

Standard 30+ year old Frankenstein detach that needs non stop maintenance.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Grmmtnhkr34 wrote: Apr 28th, '24, 16:03 Anyone know what's going on with the superstar chair? Been breaking down a lot. It went down at like 3:40 today (sunday) and didn't reopen. Sounded like it would reset but wouldn't actually start when the start button was held. Then I heard what sounded like the air being let out of something for quite awhile. After that I hightailed it to k1 for my last run.

Great day though. Really good bump lines, especially on dipper.
yeah it's had some lengthy stoppages the last couple days (think friday it was for a good half hour). and yeah today like yourself made the trek back to K1. also heard that air being let out thing on friday. hmm wonder what's going on. aren't u a lift mechanic at okemo? in any case, supposedly replacement of the lift begins next summer.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

Not a mechanic, just an op team lead. Closest thing I could think was the brake wasn't releasing. I op'd at killington many years ago and back in 2001 the e brake weld failed and dropped out of the terminal as I was working. The brakes aren't air though so I'm at a loss for what is going on. Seems like a reoccurring problem tho.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Flat tire from the wheels that move the chairs?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

"Flat tire from the wheels that move the chairs?" lol
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

The competitors are scoping out the Superstar quad replacement plans now.
Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

There aren't tires that require air. Killington replaced them with hard tires on all the detaches.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

The air is the brakes being bled and then refilled.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

My son was stuck on SS chair like two chairs out of the base terminal when it went down for like 15 mins this morning. He said he could hear the mechanics talking about filling air for the brakes then relieving them.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Most lifts have hydraulic brakes, rather than air brakes. Must be a Yan detachable thing. Superstar is now the only operating lift for the rest of the season, and it can't be breaking down multiple times a day.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

snoloco wrote: Apr 28th, '24, 21:54 Most lifts have hydraulic brakes, rather than air brakes. Must be a Yan detachable thing. Superstar is now the only operating lift for the rest of the season, and it can't be breaking down multiple times a day.
Well it is. And probably will continue.

Will be embarrassing when it shits the bed for good and they have to close for the season. That will be a interesting to see how they spin and explain that

Alterra will put a new D Line in there. Can’t wait.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Air pressure is used to release the brake. So, if air pressure is lost the brake will apply itself. This is typical of a truck air brake system, I am assuming what is on Superstar lift would be similar for safety reasons.
Will the new lift have a bubble with heated seats?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

Big Bob wrote: Apr 29th, '24, 05:27 Air pressure is used to release the brake. So, if air pressure is lost the brake will apply itself. This is typical of a truck air brake system, I am assuming what is on Superstar lift would be similar for safety reasons.
Will the new lift have a bubble with heated seats?
You don't want a bubble if you want it to run on windy days. A non bubble 6 pack is the way to go. We have so many issues with wind on our two bubble chairs that go to the same place!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I would hope they leave it a quad, the lift unload area is too small and couldn't handle a 6 pack.