Mid-May Colorado Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Coydog
Guru Poster

Mid-May Colorado Report

Post by Coydog »

With the mighty K down to long weekends only, could not resist a last minute trip to Colorado where winter is still basks in full glory. Headed to Mary Jane with friends and it did not disappoint. Everything was open except the chutes and hike-to terrain. Although Winter Park is technically closed, the gondola was still running providing access to several buttery and completely empty cruisers. Of course, the real action is at the MJ side. At first, we found the snow there a bit sticky near the base and it could have been more skied in on top, but overall, very nice for our first day on oxygen starved legs. We skied a number of easier runs off the Panoramic lift which drops you off at 12,000 ft.

Perfect cruiser at Mary Jane.

Knowing the town fairly well, it was not much of a challenge locating après-ski refreshments though several of our favorite watering holes were on break.

Climate change be damned!

Despite a lingering headache (it’s possible we may have over-beered), we felt stronger the next day and spent most of our time in the bumps, including the notorious Outhouse. The lines were much more skied in and I was fortunate my buddy generously applied spring wax to my bases before we left. Outhouse is not the most difficult run at MJ and though it is generally comparable, it definitely seems like the big brother of Outer Limits, relentlessly plunging straight down to the MJ base lodge. I was only about a ¼ in before my lungs first gave out. But overall, the snow was less grabby and we felt like we were really skiing.

Outhouse from afar (pic from the web).

The next day was magical. We found beautiful corn snow under foot and the altitude was no longer a major hindrance. My favorite trail was - and almost always is – Trestle. Perfect soft bumps all the way including the mid run rock face. Another friend flew in from Boston and joined us. He’s a terrific skier, but the altitude hit him hard and he ended up taking a flight back home shortly thereafter. Those were some expensive runs for him.

Beginning of Trestle - some people pay really good money to ski here.

We then headed about an hour south for two days to Arapahoe Basin only to find more mid-winter conditions. I’ve been there several times before and as many of you know, A-Basin completely rocks – it’s an extreme western version of Mad River Glen.

A-Basin mid-mountain and mid-May view.

The infamous “Beach” scene was well underway with many young, peaceful, satisfied faces tending grills. We didn’t attempt any crazy hike-to stuff, but there’s plenty of super steep lift service terrain. Nothing but hero snow everywhere, so even for us East Coasters, the steeps were not overly unnerving. Both Montezuma and the Beavers were open with a ton of snow and Pallavicini was absolutely stunning.

Exhibition under the lift.

Miner's Glade at the bottom of Montezuma Bowl - nice little tree run.

Pallavicini - pretty steep but virtually perfect snow.

We never had to share the trail with more than two or three others and if there, they were always way off in the distance. Most of the skiers were very accomplished, including the grey beards, but I have to say I’ve never seen so many snowboarders handle such steep bumps with ease and grace while still managing to throw in an occasional big air.

After 5 knee and IPA pounding days, it was time to return to home to the Green Mountain State, tired but ready for SS – or at least Bay One.
Bumper

Re: Mid-May Colorado Report

Post by 180 »

looks great!
With Altera buying ABASIN I hear that WP is going to close early going forward.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

wow, looks like a fantastic trip.
well done :like :like
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

I do know WP/MJ and that 'OL like' run is serious! regrettably, never hit A-basin. Great report Coydog, still does look quite winter-like!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Sweet - Had been going out there [Summit County area] in the spring for many years, until Covid hit. Gonna try to get back out there next year.

WP / Mary Jane is right up there among our favorites with A-Basin right up there as well. Your descriptions of them are spot on.

Like you, Trestle is probably my favorite at WP/ MJ. Great all the way down with a coupla more serious pitches !

Overall, I think A-Basin has the steepest terrain I've ever seen. All of Pali and the relatively new Beavers areas are fantastic.

Nice memories. Thanx for sharing [gloating !].
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!