Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
Dirty Old Ski Bastard wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote: Okay so why do you lose sleep over it?

Given everything else going on in this country right now, this seems pretty trivial.

Are the folks onthis open forum living in some utopian pardise or some freak parallel world or something. No one is bothered by this?

I luv this country and am passionate about it. I am critical of it to when it is justified.

Yeah lets have a bunch of gringos bastardize our national anthem. OK fine with me. but do it in Tijuana, not here.
Okay so translating a song, who's lyrics many Americans don't know anyway, into a different language is a bastardization? Gimme a break.
(And don't even get me started on how many Americans I see who can't even render proper respect to the flag).

Want to know what a bastardization is? It's an executive branch that continually and willfully tramples the Constitution. That's a bastardization.

SURE GO BACK TO BASHING the prez, the citizens of this country etc. whatever. I still think this is just seriously wrong.
How will your life change because of this? Seriosuly...
Immgration can change our lives drastically. This is just one small sliver of the plethora of things that could change if 'illegal immigtants' are granted 'amnesty'.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

Are the folks onthis open forum living in some utopian pardise or some freak parallel world or something. No one is bothered by this?

I luv this country and am passionate about it. I am critical of it to when it is justified.

Yeah lets have a bunch of gringos bastardize our national anthem. OK fine with me. but do it in Tijuana, not here.
Okay so translating a song, who's lyrics many Americans don't know anyway, into a different language is a bastardization? Gimme a break.
(And don't even get me started on how many Americans I see who can't even render proper respect to the flag).

Want to know what a bastardization is? It's an executive branch that continually and willfully tramples the Constitution. That's a bastardization.

SURE GO BACK TO BASHING the prez, the citizens of this country etc. whatever. I still think this is just seriously wrong.
Immgration can change our lives drastically. This is just one small sliver of the plethora of things that could change if 'illegal immigtants' are granted 'amnesty'.
How does this specifically help them obtain amnesty? I don't think DMC is saying immigration laws aren't important, he's talking more about this specific event which has no bearing on immigration directly.
Some things just can't be bought......
Dirty Old Ski Bastard
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dirty Old Ski Bastard »

DMC Freeride wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote: Okay so why do you lose sleep over it?

Given everything else going on in this country right now, this seems pretty trivial.

It wont change sh*t! Is that the answer you wanted?

Its just a very very simple request to respect something I feel is not to be triviaized. No need to get into crazy politcal discussions about more pressing serious matters, or the state this country is in, or who is trampling the constitution, or what some crazy ex-governor of Colorado thought. Cant we just have a littel respect for the very simple things like our anthem or the flag. Am i asking too much?
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Dirty Old Ski Bastard wrote: Cant we just have a littel respect for the very simple things like our anthem or the flag. Am i asking too much?
Nope...
it's your right as an American...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

DMC Freeride wrote:
Dirty Old Ski Bastard wrote: Cant we just have a littel respect for the very simple things like our anthem or the flag. Am i asking too much?
Nope...
it's your right as an American...

Good one!
Ron Paul 2012
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

Its just a very very simple request to respect something I feel is not to be triviaized. No need to get into crazy politcal discussions about more pressing serious matters, or the state this country is in, or who is trampling the constitution, or what some crazy ex-governor of Colorado thought. Cant we just have a littel respect for the very simple things like our anthem or the flag. Am i asking too much?
That's fine. It's important to you. Just realize that alot of people do think it's trivial and that that doesn't mean they live in some freak parallel universe or some utopia, nor does it make them any less patriotic, or any less American, than you are.

As far as I'm concerned it can be translated into any bloody language you like. As long as the translation stays true to the original's meaning why should I give a sh*t? I see nothing whatsoever disrespectful in that.
And if actually understanding it raises some of the emotions that you feel in Spanish speakers, well maybe that's a good thing.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

BrockVond
Powderhound

Re: Spanish 'Banner' draws protest

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not,"
English, no.

German? Hell yeah. They'd throw up their arms, surrender, and gleefully sing it in jubilant falsetto accompaniment while bending over for their Nazi conquerors.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Re: Spanish 'Banner' draws protest

Post by BrockVond »

BrockVond wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not,"
English, no.

German? Hell yeah. They'd throw up their arms, surrender, and gleefully sing it in jubilant falsetto accompaniment while bending over for their Nazi conquerors.
btw, if you see Adam Kidron on the street, punch him in the face for me. Just one more idiot from overseas who spent most of the past 5 years in U.S. bankruptcy court and now blames America for his abundant failures. That's where this idiotic spanish banner idea comes from: Kidron's failures here in the U.S.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote: Okay so translating a song, who's lyrics many Americans don't know anyway, into a different language is a bastardization? Gimme a break.

That's fine. It's important to you. Just realize that alot of people do think it's trivial and that that doesn't mean they live in some freak parallel universe or some utopia, nor does it make them any less patriotic, or any less American, than you are.

As far as I'm concerned it can be translated into any bloody language you like. As long as the translation stays true to the original's meaning why should I give a sh*t? I see nothing whatsoever disrespectful in that.
And if actually understanding it raises some of the emotions that you feel in Spanish speakers, well maybe that's a good thing.
In otherwords...the fact that they changed a part of our anthem so it sounds better and rhymes in spanish is not OK with you? Because that's what they did....
Dirty Old Ski Bastard
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dirty Old Ski Bastard »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

In otherwords...the fact that they changed a part of our anthem so it sounds better and rhymes in spanish is not OK with you? Because that's what they did....

These people have no idea how offensive and disrespectful their actions are to American’s. This song will be played all over talk radio stations and completely blow up in their faces. How can they be so clueless?

Mexican pop diva (and child molester) Gloria Trevi, Puerto Rican reggaeton Ivy Queen and Tito El Bambino and other Latino artists are recording a Spanish-language version of the U.S. national anthem in a show of support for migrants in the United States.

“We chose to re-record ’The Star-Spangled Banner’ to show our solidarity with the undocumented immigrants and their quest for basic civil rights,” UBO President Adam Kidron said in a news release.

The recording, dubbed “Nuestro Himno” or “Our Anthem,” is set to “rhythmic Latin musical arrangement” but respects the song’s traditional structure, UBO said. The song will be primarily in Spanish with a few words sung in English.

The song is on the album “Somos Americanos,” which will be sold for $10, with a portion going to Washington-based National Capital Immigration Coalition, UBO said.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

I said stayed true to the original's meaning. Anyone who's ever tried translation before will tell you that once you get past simple sentences word-for-word translations are impossible. It's even worse when you start talking about poetry or songs - where you have to worry about things like meter and the way the words actually sound.
Last edited by BigKahuna13 on Apr 28th, '06, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

If I wanted to be - I could be pissed that the music is based on an old English drinking song..

I actually had ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War and I could consider it a slight to their sacrifice in a was of independence against the English....

But I don't.... Cause it's a song..
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

Mexican pop diva (and child molester) Gloria Trevi

Life is not fair. Most kids get molested by perverts who look like shortski.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

BrockVond wrote:

Mexican pop diva (and child molester) Gloria Trevi

Life is not fair. Most kids get molested by perverts who look like shortski.
I think I'd have a hard time seperating between the "good touch" and the "bad touch" with her!
Ron Paul 2012
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Herb Alpert Rules:

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage