Is it a wireless radio transmission?
Funny how it was the Patriots game.
What is your explanation?
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Defending the Title

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:Is it a wireless radio transmission?
Funny how it was the Patriots game.
What is your explanation?
I was not there, I have to go by what the NFL has said it was, a problem with the power infrastructure at the stadium mixed with the bad weather.

If you have other info, you should call the NFL.

From SI.com:

The Pittsburgh Steelers will not file a complaint with the NFL over the headset issues they experienced in their Thursday night loss to the Patriots, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Yahoo! Sports reported Friday that the Steelers would file a grievance not only over the radio interference they encountered, but also over officials not turning off headsets for both teams..
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Obviously, someone writing on Steelers.com can/will be biased. Anyone know if this has been confirmed by an independent source?
A game story by Bob Labriola on Steelers.com didn't mince words, calling it "no surprise at all" that it happened.

"This is the kind of stuff that happens to the visiting team in Gillette Stadium all the time," Labriola wrote. "From the start of the game through the opening 14 minutes of the first quarter, the Steelers' coaches' headsets were receiving the Patriots Radio Network broadcast of the game. The broadcast was so loud that the Steelers coaches were unable to communicate, and the NFL rule is that if one team's headsets are not working the other team is supposed to be forced to take their headsets off. It's what the NFL calls the Equity Rule. Strangely enough, whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers' headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers' headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast."
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:Obviously, someone writing on Steelers.com can/will be biased. Anyone know if this has been confirmed by an independent source?
A game story by Bob Labriola on Steelers.com didn't mince words, calling it "no surprise at all" that it happened.

"This is the kind of stuff that happens to the visiting team in Gillette Stadium all the time," Labriola wrote. "From the start of the game through the opening 14 minutes of the first quarter, the Steelers' coaches' headsets were receiving the Patriots Radio Network broadcast of the game. The broadcast was so loud that the Steelers coaches were unable to communicate, and the NFL rule is that if one team's headsets are not working the other team is supposed to be forced to take their headsets off. It's what the NFL calls the Equity Rule. Strangely enough, whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers' headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers' headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast."
Course there's this too: The Steelers think the Patriots cheated by tampering with headset communications on Thursday night at Gillette Stadium. But the headsets haven’t been perfect in Pittsburgh, either.

After the Steelers beat the Jets in the AFC Championship Game in January of 2011, the Jets said they were having problems communicating at Heinz Field. Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez said the problems were something he hadn’t previously encountered.

“It never really happened for that long of a time,” Sanchez said. “We had to use a walkie-talkie at one point and [offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer] was just yelling calls in at one point. It was just another challenge, and we almost overcame it.”

Sanchez said the headsets in Pittsburgh failed repeatedly.

“The problem was the headset kept going out multiple times during the game,” Sanchez said, “so I had to run over and get a couple calls, piece together some calls on the headset that came in broken up. It was one of those things we were fighting through. I was proud of our guys for trying to piece it together.”

So what’s the difference between that problem the Jets had in Pittsburgh, and the problem the Steelers had last night in New England? The biggest difference seems to be that the Jets didn’t accuse the Steelers of any wrongdoing, and Jets coach Rex Ryan said after the game that the communications issue wasn’t the reason the Jets lost the game. The Steelers haven’t been so accommodating toward the Patriots in the wake of last night’s loss.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bubba wrote:Obviously, someone writing on Steelers.com can/will be biased. Anyone know if this has been confirmed by an independent source?

Dear Troll#3,

These were Magical Headsets.

Sincerely yours,

Troll#1
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Zolak's voice is actually quite loud ... would likely bleed-thru a multi-channel wireless configuration :lol:

The psyche tactic continues to prove itself very powerful :like
'Welcome to the Jungle'
Inferior teams and coaches simply wilt in Foxboro.

Haters and weak organizations suck on warm Gatorade.
Meanwhile ... Patriots Nation sips Champagne :P

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

brownman wrote:Zolak's voice is actually quite loud ... would likely bleed-thru a multi-channel wireless configuration :lol:

The psyche tactic continues to prove itself very powerful :like
'Welcome to the Jungle'
Inferior teams and coaches simply wilt in Foxboro.

Haters and weak organizations suck on warm Gatorade.
Meanwhile ... Patriots Nation sips Champagne :P

I heard that the champagne was a little flat.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

freeski wrote:Gronk is like one of the giants on Game of Thrones only more mythical.

I have him and Brady in fantasy football; so far so good. :-)

Go Pats :!: :!: :cool :seeya :banana:

So Mrs. G, I guess Edelman is out of the question.
Got that right . . . no Blount either, and maybe Lewis and Chandler . . . have to get as many Pats as I can, so I can root for my favorite :wink: team . . . week 4 will be interesting :P :mrgreen:
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Jr.
No doubt shipped in from Rangers locker room :sad:
They must be considering a chairlift for that storage ticker tape pile in Manhattan :lol:

Christmas this year ... Minturn ... Yo !

Forever .. Goat Path
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

brownman wrote:So is losing to the Cowboys.
3 years and no end in sight.
1 step at a time...
Make that 4 years. 8)
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Geoff wrote:
brownman wrote:So is losing to the Cowboys.
3 years and no end in sight.
1 step at a time...
Make that 4 years. 8)
WTF, shut the game off, figured no way the Giants could lose.

Not sad to say I was wrong.

Glad they gave Eli all that money. 20/36 193 5.4 0 0 1-3 45.4 Passer rating.

That won't "git er done".
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

You're telling me the communication frequency issues were intermittent and picked up conflicting frequencies which happened to be an AM/FM broadcast? How, technologically, is this possible? You're telling me these headsets operate on the same frequency as AM/FM stations?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:You're telling me the communication frequency issues were intermittent and picked up conflicting frequencies which happened to be an AM/FM broadcast? How, technologically, is this possible? You're telling me these headsets operate on the same frequency as AM/FM stations?
So the NFL claims.

Interesting that you believed everything, including the Wells report during the last fiasco but now you don't believe the NFL.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:You're telling me the communication frequency issues were intermittent and picked up conflicting frequencies which happened to be an AM/FM broadcast? How, technologically, is this possible? You're telling me these headsets operate on the same frequency as AM/FM stations?
Any wire attached to a power source has the ability to be an antenna. A 50,000 watt radio tower is 1/4 mi from my house. You can hear WAAF on every radio station in the background, on telephones with a power source, on amplified speakers that are powered on but are not attached to a transmission source, baby monitors, etc. Xjib, you missed the boat on this one... The baby elephant when born averages 250 lbs making them the biggest babies to walk the earth, next to Steelers fans.
ImageImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Stormchaser wrote:
Any wire attached to a power source has the ability to be an antenna. A 50,000 watt radio tower is 1/4 mi from my house. You can hear WAAF on every radio station in the background, on telephones with a power source, on amplified speakers that are powered on but are not attached to a transmission source, baby monitors, etc. Xjib, you missed the boat on this one... The baby elephant when born averages 250 lbs making them the biggest babies to walk the earth, next to Steelers fans.
It was rhetorical, primarily. I am surprised, technologically, the NFL seems far behind. You'd think coach-to-coach communication would be closed circuit and encrypted. Picking up the AM/FM radio makes me think they're pretty vulnerable to listening.