Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote: Yawn.
nice...real classy.
Save it, tough guy. Maybe if you were concerned with protecting these kids from harm in the first place you wouldn't have to protect them from cartoons depicting their injuries.

Are you really too thick to get what I'm saying?
I know what you're saying. Do I share your opinion, seldomly. Is this one of those times, no. I care about our troops greatly, regardless of what you think.

Just because I'm for the war, in some aspects, does not mean I don't care about the troops. My buddy was just deployed to Mosul, one has just returned from Iraq, and the other is in Afghanistan. Just because I don't attack every ones opinions/views on the war, doesn't mean I don't care about the troops. Furthermore, you have no right to accuse those who support this war as not caring about the troops.

And personally, I am offended that you are willing to attack me in such a harsh way...to accuse me of not caring about and supporting our troops, how dare you.

You know, I sometimes wonder what would the World would be like today if Roosevelt pulled out US troops after D-Day. The allies suffered a great loss, where nearly 10,000 casualties, injuries, and POW's occurred, just as a result of that operation. Once WWII was over, the US had suffered nearly 300,000 casualties in the war against Hitler. Was it worth it? Should we risk the same to eliminate terrorism? At what cost should we fight terrorism? Those are my questions.
Simmer down, Sally. Now you're putting all kinds of words in my mouth. Unacceptable.
What words? You said:
CS wrote: Maybe if you were concerned with protecting these kids from harm in the first place you wouldn't have to protect them from cartoons depicting their injuries.
If your intentions weren't to say "XJ doesn't support the toops" and/or "XJ doesn't care about the troops", what was your intention?
CS wrote: Equating WWII to this conflict is laughable, and yet again makes me question your grasp of both history and current events.
War and battles have casualties. My question was, where do we draw the line. Not implying that these wars are similar by any means.
CS wrote: This war will not eliminate terrorism.
Do you think the war will reduce "terror" greatly? If we weren't fighting terrorism actively, do you think we, as a nation would be more vulnerable?
CS wrote: You cannot bomb the world into peace. As Bubba so aptly interjected, the "War on Terror" is a poor marketing slogan.
Agreed.
CS wrote: And again, for the record, the fight we should be fighting was not in Iraq.
Hindsight is always 20-20. Three presidents fought with Iraq over WMD capabilities and ambitions. Now the increasing pressure has been turned on against Iran.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

I can't hold your hand all day XJ. If you can't see my point I'm very sorry.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cityskier wrote:I can't hold your hand all day XJ. If you can't see my point I'm very sorry.
I don't, I'm certainly not the all-knowing CS, I apologize your hi-nus. I can't read your mind. If you have trouble clarifying yourself to me, that's a communication problem.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:I can't hold your hand all day XJ. If you can't see my point I'm very sorry.
I don't, I'm certainly not the all-knowing CS, I apologize your hi-nus. I can't read your mind. If you have trouble clarifying yourself to me, that's a communication problem.

There are none so deaf as those who refuse to hear.
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
No, you are definitely not. And it's Highness. You don't have to read my mind, you just need to comprehend my words.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
No, you are definitely not. And it's Highness. You don't have to read my mind, you just need to comprehend my words.
Maybe I'm just not smart like you. The words seem very clear:
Maybe if you were concerned with protecting these kids from harm in the first place you wouldn't have to protect them from cartoons depicting their injuries.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Hey Bubba...an ironic news story to go with our little discussion. I know its apples to oranges but its ironic the news story came out shortly after our posts. Sometimes people really do get carried away by cartoons....even if they're supposed to offend. Clearly this one was way overboard.
Storm grows over Mohammad cartoons

Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 2:52 p.m. EST (19:52 GMT)

Palestinian gunmen shut the European Union office in Gaza City.

(CNN) -- The international storm over cartoon drawings of the Prophet Mohammad published in European media gathered pace across the Islamic world Thursday with angry demonstrations and the shutting down of the EU office in Gaza City.

In Paris, the daily newspaper France Soir fired its managing editor after it republished the caricatures Wednesday, and in Pakistan protesters marched chanting "Death to Denmark" and "Death to France."

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying the cartoons -- one depicting the founder of Islam wearing a turban resembling a bomb --showed press freedom should have its limits.

Muslims consider it sacrilegious to produce a likeness of the Prophet Mohammad.

CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons in respect for Islam.

"The cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad are an attack on our spiritual values. There should be a limit to press freedom," the state Anatolian news agency quoted Erdogan as telling French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy during talks in Ankara.

Meanwhile, Denmark summoned overseas envoys in Copenhagen for talks, Reuters reported.

Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the issue had gone beyond a feud between Copenhagen and the Muslim world and now centered on Western free speech versus taboos in Islam, which is the second religion in many European countries.

In continuing protests, Palestinian gunmen shut the European Union office Thursday in Gaza City, writing on the door that the office would remain closed until the Europeans apologize to Muslims, Palestinian security sources told CNN.

Wearing masks, the men -- from Islamic Jihad and the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of Fatah -- fired bullets into the air and one of them read demands.

On Monday, a similar demonstration occurred in Gaza City to protest of a series of cartoons in a Danish newspaper considered offensive by many Muslims. (Full story)

Palestinian officials said the gunmen were threatening to kidnap European workers if the European Union did not apologize.

The drawings first ran in a Danish paper in September. (Full story)

The same 12 cartoons were published Wednesday by two European newspapers -- Die Welt in Berlin, and France Soir in Paris -- who characterized the publications as a matter of free speech.

France Soir published the cartoons under the headline, "Yes, one has the right to caricature God." (Full story)

Both newspapers said they were publishing the cartoons in solidarity with the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which both newspapers said had the right to publish the cartoons in a free society with a free press.

'Editor fired'
Following the publication in Paris, according to the authoritative daily newspaper Le Monde, the publisher of France Soir, Raymond Lakah, fired the editorial director of the newspaper, Jacques Lefranc. (Full story)

According to Le Monde, which described Lakah as "Franco-Egyptian," the publisher issued a statement saying he had decided to fire Lefranc as president and director of the newspaper in "a strong sign of respect to the intimate convictions and beliefs of each individual."

On Wednesday, Iraqis urged their government to cut diplomatic ties with Denmark and Norway because of the publication of the cartoons.

Iraqi Islamic leaders called on worshippers to stage demonstrations from Baghdad to the southern city of Basra following main weekly prayer services Friday to condemn the caricatures.

The Arabic-language news channel Al-Jazeera broadcast a report with the cartoons heavily distorted.

The culture editor of Jyllands-Posten, Fleming Rose, apologized for the publication of the cartoons, saying the newspaper did not mean to offend Muslims and said the cartoons had to be understood in context.

Norway suspended operations at its office in the West Bank town of Ram, just outside of Jerusalem, after receiving threats connected to a Norwegian newspaper's publication of the cartoons.

Outgoing Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia on Thursday condemned the caricatures, saying they "provoke all Muslims everywhere in the world."

"We hope that the concerned governments are attentive to the sensitivity of this issue," Qureia told The Associated Press.

He asked gunmen not to attack foreigners. "But we warn that emotions may flare in this very sensitive issues."

Afghanistan said publication of the caricatures would give ammunition to those seeking to disrupt international relations.

"Any insult to the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) is an insult to more than 1 billion Muslims and an act like this must never be allowed to be repeated," Afghan President Hamid Karzai said in a statement.

Students march
In Pakistan, more than 300 Islamic students protested, chanting "Death to Denmark" and "Death to France."

Iran's Foreign Ministry has summoned Austrian Ambassador Stigel Bauer, as representing the European Union, to protest the publication, the Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

Bauer expressed "sorrow" over the incident and promised to convey Iran's protest to his government and other EU countries, the agency reported. Austria currently holds the rotating presidency of the 25-nation European Union.

A Jordanian newspaper took the bold step of publishing three of the caricatures Thursday, saying it was reprinting them to show readers "the extent of the Danish offense."

Next to the drawings, the Arabic weekly Shihan said in a headline: "This is how the Danish newspaper portrayed Prophet Muhammad, may God's blessing and peace be upon him."

The director of media rights group Reporters Without Borders, Robert Menard, called for calm. "We need to figure out how to reconcile freedom of expression and respect of faith," he said.

Boycott of Danish goods
In an interview with al Arabiya television, Rasmussen said he could not be held responsible for what is published in the press but that all parties should avoid escalating the row.

"We are all also responsible toward religious feelings. We have a sizable Muslim community in Denmark ... in my party there are Muslims," he said.

Syria and Saudi Arabia have recalled their envoys from Denmark and anti-Danish protests have erupted.

The Danish Foreign Ministry said it had been exposed to a flood of email from angry Muslims attempting to shut down its server. In the past week, the ministry's IT system has blocked almost one million mails, mainly the Middle East, it said.

The clash has also had commercial repercussions. Danish companies have reported sales falling in the Middle East amid calls for boycotts.

Rasmussen refused last October to meet envoys of 11 Muslim states who wanted him to punish Jyllands-Posten.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Gotta love organized religion...
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

No sense of humor.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Well, didn't loads of people here get upset at the portrayal of the Virgin Mary with elephant dung?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

The most evil thing any religious organization can do is call themselves "God's Chosen People". Not only does it conflict with the "Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord" thing, but it makes them awfully cocky, arrogant and righteous.

When 2 or more large and distinctly different groups of God's Chosen People get together, then, well....umm....keep watching the evening news to see how that works out. :roll:
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

I didn't read all the in-between rubbish of this thread but it seems to me that XJibber missed the context of the cartoon. I guess if you understand who (Or what I should say) the injured person represents then you would probably not have a problem with the cartoon.
Some things just can't be bought......
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Bubba wrote:Well, didn't loads of people here get upset at the portrayal of the Virgin Mary with elephant dung?
They also have no sense of humor.

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Bubba wrote:Well, didn't loads of people here get upset at the portrayal of the Virgin Mary with elephant dung?
Well I guess I have no sense of humor then because I thought that portrayal was unacceptable.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
Well I guess I have no sense of humor then because I thought that portrayal was unacceptable.
Is the depiction of Muhammad wearing a bomb shaped turban that's got Muslims all riled equally offensive to you?

I admit I didn't take a good look at the cartoon until now. Personally I can't see how anyone can interpret it as being disrespectful to soldiers. I think the author is clearly showing Mr. Rumsfeld's complete callousness and disregard for his troops. If anything the piece is supportive of the troops and critical of the DOD and our political leaders in general