Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by easyrider16 »

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 12th, '23, 14:28 We sell weapons to many, many nations around the globe. Some of those nations get involved in conflicts. Does that mean the US shares responsibility in every conflict? You can say yes to that if that's your opinion. I disagree, but could understand how someone feels differently than I.
I kinda think we do bear some responsibility. I wish we were more principled about who we sold weapons to, but I also get the practical realities of international relations. Sometimes you have to do ugly things for the greater good. But I really wish it wasn't for things like oil or business interests. Our relationship with the Saudis, for instance, is very troubling.

But I don't see how the U.S. dealings with Iran can be linked to this Hamas attack. It's too attenuated a connection. We need Iran's oil and we also need them to not develop nukes, so we cut deals. Getting them to stop funding Hamas wasn't an available option, and Iran would still be supporting Hamas even if we didn't cut those deals. If you want to place blame, though, I think Trump's boneheaded peace proposal has more to do with Hamas' current situation than anything Biden did or didn't do.
Bubba wrote: Oct 12th, '23, 20:27 Speaking of dysfunction, the House Speaker race chaos continues as Scalise withdraws. Meanwhile, significant number of House members are “never Jordan” and one or more members are reaching out to Democrats for some kind of compromise.
Wouldn't it be interesting if we saw centrist democrats and republicans come together for a compromise candidate? I'm not sure enough politicians on either side are mature enough to support it, but it certainly would be historic.

Incidentally, this reminds me of those discussions about parliamentary systems - this shows our system is every bit as vulnerable to instability as those systems are. At least with a parliamentary system we could have a snap election to settle the gridlock.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Has a truer statement ever been said?
Troy E. Nehls (R-TX-22) wrote:One of the members said in there, ‘You know I don’t think the Lord Jesus himself could get 217.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 13th, '23, 08:49 Has a truer statement ever been said?
Troy E. Nehls (R-TX-22) wrote:One of the members said in there, ‘You know I don’t think the Lord Jesus himself could get 217.
He’d be the first Jewish Speaker of the House if elected.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

GOP leading candidate for POTUS. I hear he has agreeable policies?

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 13th, '23, 08:49 Has a truer statement ever been said?
Jesus at best would called a RINO by today's GOP, but more likely a Marxist Democrat
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Bubba wrote:The obvious solution…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/13/opinions ... index.html
That solution is only obvious to the sane people in this country. Unfortunately, the inmates are running the asylum.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

spanky wrote: Oct 15th, '23, 10:55

That solution is only obvious to the sane people in this country. Unfortunately, the inmates are running the asylum.
They will vote for Jordan as speaker because the GOP no longer has any integrity.

Make no mistake, Jordan will burn down the little left of the GOP.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

IMG_1787.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg (344.74 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 15th, '23, 11:39

They will vote for Jordan as speaker because the GOP no longer has any integrity.

Take a peek this morning and see how the majority is falling in line under minority rule. The GOP is spineless.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

+1

The obvious answer is a coalition government. We are too polarized for it to work. If Jordan gets nominated, things are going to fall apart quickly. I have to imagine it would lead to the GOP getting trounced in Nov 2024. What moderates are going to support that clown?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 16th, '23, 11:10

Take a peek this morning and see how the majority is falling in line under minority rule. The GOP is spineless.
Well, so far so good. He fell 17 votes short on the first floor vote.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote: Oct 17th, '23, 13:33

Now the GOP knows where to focus their efforts.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 17th, '23, 15:27

Jordan already knew it from the internal voting.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote: Oct 17th, '23, 16:36
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 17th, '23, 15:27

Jordan already knew it from the internal voting.
Yes, but now MAGA supporters know.

Why else would Jordan call a vote if not as a means to focus pressure on the hold outs? He knew it wasn’t going to work out today. Following the McCarthy playbook.