Superstar 2023

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Superstar 2023

Post by daytripper »

Bubba wrote: Sep 6th, '23, 10:13 Y’all realize you’re arguing the merits and timing of a hypothetical started by a rumor posted on an internet message board? Oh, wait…that’s the norm here. How about someone just email Mike and ask?
Because there has been so much going on here lately that we have too much to talk about? First time there is something to talk about in weeks and the moderator wants us to stop talking. Makes a message board pretty boring with no messages.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

daytripper wrote: Sep 6th, '23, 11:49
Bubba wrote: Sep 6th, '23, 10:13 Y’all realize you’re arguing the merits and timing of a hypothetical started by a rumor posted on an internet message board? Oh, wait…that’s the norm here. How about someone just email Mike and ask?
Because there has been so much going on here lately that we have too much to talk about? First time there is something to talk about in weeks and the moderator wants us to stop talking. Makes a message board pretty boring with no messages.

Nah…just pointing out the obvious. Carry on…

By the way, what do you think conditions will be like for Christmas week? People are making plans now.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

snoloco wrote: Sep 5th, '23, 22:52 The current lift sucks. I feel like it gets slower and less reliable each year, and it doesn't even take you to the top of the trail once they start building the glacier. It's easily their worst lift situation, like the North Ridge Triple, Snowdon Quad, and Skye Peak Quad when they were replaced.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

it'll be colder
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

Also it’s an upgraded YAN lift, and YAN is out of business due to lift accidents.

While the lift has been updated and has ‘new’ parts, there is nobody to sue if something happened to go really bad. Then the resort is the only one left with that legal mess. That alone is a good reason for any big company like Powdr to want to replace it.

And while not in the village, it’s gonna be one of the primary lifts for moving people out of the new village, and will be seen by everyone on TV when there are events like the WC. Many reasons this one happens next, I hope they do both Superstars and Ramshead at once, both should be 6 or 8 packs. Superstar should load in a lower area too, so it is downhill from the lodge. I see no real drawbacks from moving the loading area downhill considerably.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

It was a YAN high speed from 1987-1997 when it was converted to a Pomo to replace the most critical part which was the YAN elastomer grips with the big springs you see today. The elastomer grips failed several times and killed 7 people. That put YAN out of business. They were first to market with high speed chairs which is ofter a good thing but not in this case.

http://www.chairlift.org/killington.html
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

The debate here over which lift(s) SHOULD be fixed/replaced first will of course go on regardless. I am in the "fix Skyeship" and "replace Ramshead with a bubble 6" camp. But if they are replacing SS, I'm not hating it.

If this happens next year and they can't get it done between June and November, I think the spring season will simply be shortened. I guess they can stretch out the season in the canyon for a weekend or two, depending on how warm it gets. I absolutely don't see them doing a "walk up to the gondi and download" arrangement. Those stairs are ok for 40/50 degree weather in October. 80 degrees in May, not so much. We die-hards would do it. Most people would not.

One shortened spring to replace the lift won't kill us. But if that is their plan, they really should announce it sooner rather than later. People include spring passes in their season pass plans, which they make way before the spring.

And the pass should definitely be reduced in price if it isn't going to include most of May.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Bayfive wrote: Sep 5th, '23, 12:49 Lots of rumors out there about them shutting super star down early to replace the chair , anyone hear anything ?
Probably won't happen . . . Bicknell Thrush spotted up there . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

ski wrote:
Bayfive wrote: Sep 5th, '23, 12:49 Lots of rumors out there about them shutting super star down early to replace the chair , anyone hear anything ?
Finally! Thanks for calling out the troll. The rest of you… took the hook, line and sinker!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

We will see who the troll is when super star closes in April this season , check with your sources
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Pretty funny sh*t here….. everyone’s “ in the k ow”. More like…..in the no….
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

spanky wrote: Sep 8th, '23, 09:50
ski wrote:
Finally! Thanks for calling out the troll. The rest of you… took the hook, line and sinker!
It's still going to happen though, maybe not this year but within the next few years that lift will be replaced and they have a limited timeframe for it. And suddenly there is messages being posted on this message board, but the staff for some reason wants us to stop messaging on their message board. :?c :seeya
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

daytripper wrote: Sep 8th, '23, 14:03
ski wrote:
It's still going to happen though, maybe not this year but within the next few years that lift will be replaced and they have a limited timeframe for it. And suddenly there is messages being posted on this message board, but the staff for some reason wants us to stop messaging on their message board. :?c :seeya
Agreed. Since when is complete speculation not the lifeblood of this place?
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

daytripper wrote:
ski wrote:
The staff??? As in Bubba, dork and me??? ROFL!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

A pic of the new double decker tram that's gonna replace Superstar
wwww.jpg
wwww.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Last edited by RENO on Sep 9th, '23, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.