2020 Election

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: 2020 Election

Post by Bubba »

From Law.com

Trump's Lawyers Are 'Wasting Time' Going to Court, Biden Legal Adviser Asserts

Joe Biden’s campaign has no plans to send lawyers to court for litigation over the closely contested race against President Donald Trump but will take necessary steps to defend the results, a top adviser to the Democratic presidential nominee said Wednesday, projecting confidence that the former vice president had prevailed.

“We will respond appropriately to defend the vote. That’s what we’re there to do,” said Bob Bauer, a former White House counsel under the Obama administration who has served as a top adviser to Biden’s presidential campaign.
“We’re not slap happy lawyers running around, looking for opportunities to file litigation. This is about the voters—it’s not about lawyers, it’s not about partisans and not about Donald Trump’s ego,” Bauer continued. “It’s about protecting the right to vote. We won the election, we’ll defend that election. I don’t view that as a sort of indication that armies of warriors now have to be deployed.”

Dismissing the suggestion that Biden would take a litigious approach in the coming days, Bauer added, “We’ll respond appropriately to whatever they do to try to put into question, by hook or crook, the legitimacy of this election that Joe Biden has won.”
In a livestreamed interview with The Washington Post, Bauer said he was struck by Trump’s early morning address Wednesday in which he proclaimed victory and asserted without evidence that the election had been a “fraud on the American public.” Trump also foreshadowed litigation over results, particularly in key battleground states, saying his campaign would go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Bauer on Wednesday said he was “not quite sure exactly what [Trump] had in mind” with his stated plans to go to the U.S. Supreme Court.but exuded confidence in the Biden campaign’s prospects for preserving a victory he views as confirmed. He declined to address whether Trump’s latest appointee to the high court, Justice Amy Coney Barrett, would need to recuse herself from any election-related case, saying, “We don’t have to address that now.”

“Perhaps he will get to the Supreme Court somehow on some case like the cases that his team has been losing recently,” Bauer said.
“So they’re just basically wasting time and giving Donald Trump an opportunity to express yet another set of grievances, when in fact the only grief he should be experiencing is over the loss of the election. That’s not a grief I share, but it’s probably a grief that he keenly feels,” he added.

Trump’s efforts to cast doubt over the election results have fueled questions about the extent to which he and his administration would cooperate with a handoff of power.

Asked how such a transition would be affected by Trump refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of the national vote, Bauer said “transitions are governed by law” and that Trump “would be mistaken to believe that he decides whether there’s going to be a transition or isn’t going to be a transition.”

“So, at the end of the day, he may rail and he may rage, but there will be a transition to the next government,” he said. “It would be a shame and to his lasting discredit if he didn’t cooperate. That’s a choice he’s just going to have to make.”
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
WeekendWarrior
Beginner On Rentals

Post by WeekendWarrior »

I’m feeling like such a large majority of people in the country don’t care about folks with long term effects of Covid, they don’t care about 235k moms, dad, uncles, aunts, brothers sisters who have died from Covid, they don’t care about my granddaughter who was born with a heart defect (pre-existing condition) and my employee who’s gay, another employee who has a gay brother...but hey, my stocks are doing great.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... th/616994/
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Getting a little pathetic now.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/04/tru ... sites.html

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Nov 4th, '20, 20:49 Getting a little pathetic now.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/04/tru ... sites.html

I see there’s no lawsuit to halt vote counting in states where Trump is behind. If all counting stops now across all states, Trump loses.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Looks like AZ should be moved from a Biden win to a Biden-leaning. Bunch of mail in ballots broke for Trump, ironically.

PA is looking better for Biden today with less than 160k differential and hundreds of thousands of ballots still to count.

This thing is still very much up in the air. We'll know more this afternoon on AZ and NV which could hand it to Biden. If not, buckle your seat belts because its going to be a long ride.

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Pro Trump demonstrators in Arizona are protesting to demand a fair vote count and against Fox News having called the state for Biden. :lol:

Irony?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

A note about Trump's ridiculous lawsuits and how Bush v. Gore really doesn't apply here. Recall Bush v. Gore was about a bunch of ballots in FL where the intent of the voter was unclear because of how the ballot was structured (hanging chads, etc). Election law is written to give those counting votes some level of discretion to as much as possible effectuate the intent of the voter such that no one is disenfranchised because of a technicality. Bush v. Gore held that the state must apply the same standards to determine the intent of the voter (ie what does a hanging chad mean?) such that all votes are counted using the same standards where the intent of the voter is not clear. Failure to do so is a violation of the equal protection clause.

Here, however, there does not appear to be a question of voter intent in these lawsuits Trump is filing. Rather, he seems to be doing the opposite of the intent of election law - he's trying to disenfranchise people who clearly indicated a choice but for some technicality, shouldn't be counted. That's not really the Bush v. Gore case, and I don't see many judges being sympathetic to this perspective. So, absent proof of some actual fraud, I don't see these lawsuits going very far.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The lawsuits are nothing more than a way to sow a narrative of Democrat corruption, even if untrue, and protect his ego/narcissistic supply.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

True, but I'm glad he's doing it, because when courts sort through them and reject them, it provides proof that his claims are bullsh!t and that the election was legitimate. His most ardent supporters might not believe that, but the majority of the country will.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Seeing Trump supporters protest in MI to stop the count and in AZ to count the vote is really something.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Principles are out the window for these folks. It's about whatever rule benefits their tribe in a given moment. Sad to see, but very human.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Trump lawsuits in PA, MI, GA, and now NV. Latest one in Nevada claims illegal votes from dead people and people who became non-residents during coronavirus pandemic. Points for creativity on that second one. More seriously though, go ahead, provide evidence. We should throw out any votes that are from dead people for sure, and any fraudulent votes should be rooted out.

However, I'd note that so far there does not appear to be any evidence produced by Trump's lawyers. Rather, these appear to be mere allegations at this point. If all we get from Trump's lawyers are allegations without evidence, the cases will be dismissed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/05/trump-c ... round.html

Keep something else in mind - if Trump suddenly decides to drop these lawsuits "for the good of the country" or some bullsh!t, it's because he knows he's going to lose them due to lack of evidence of any wrongdoing. Don't believe him that there was any fraud until he proves it in a court of law.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

I believe MI and GA lawsuits were dismissed moments ago.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Well, that's two down.

By the way, the margins in most of these contests are such that getting the overall result overturned is going to be next to impossible. Even if Trump is able to identify thousands of fraudulent votes, we are talking about margins of tens of thousands. In AZ Biden is ahead by 70k votes so far. In MI, it's 150k. NV is closer, but you're still talking 12k votes. I don't think that many votes have ever been tossed out in any contested election before. I don't think it would even be possible to conceal fraud to the tune of 12,000 votes in the USA with all the security and poll watching and such.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

There were two recounts in WI over the last 5 years and I think the net change was <200 votes.