Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: I refuse to think otherwise until it is made public
Astounding.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Real Security in the Post-9/11 World
Senator Kerry’s speech to the Council on Foreign Relations

The war on terror is bigger challenge than Administration has shared with Americans:

"The real war on terror is an even bigger challenge. It is a war that has drawn us smack into the middle of an internal struggle in the Islamic World --a struggle ultimately for the transformation of the Greater Middle East into a region that is no longer isolated from the global economy, no longer dependent on despotism for stability, no longer fearful of freedom, and no longer content to feed restive and rising populations of unemployed young people a diet of illusions and excuses."

Winning War on Terror Requires Middle East Transformation:

"The war on terror cannot be won without the successful transformation of the Greater Middle East, and especially its Arab core. And our strategy must do what it takes to increase the internal demand for change in that region. That means we are in a war of ideas and ideologies--but ultimately a war that must be fought and won within the Islamic world. That means we have a huge stake in finding partners in the Arab world who are willing not only to support the transformation of the Middle East, but to reestablish the broad and unchallenged moral authority needed to isolate and defeat terrorists."

There is a long range war on terror above and beyond breaking up terrorist cells:

"So this is the long range mission in the war on terror: one, make sure the right side wins the war of ideas within the Islamic world; two, build up diversified economies and civil society; and, three, end the empire of oil. These three challenges make it abundantly clear this is not a war the United States should fight alone. And that's the basic insight the President and his administration have yet to fully grasp and translate into policies Americans can fully understand."

Changing the Middle East Requires Energy Independence for America; For Decades American Governments Have Spoken Softly in the Middle East Because of Oil:

"We must liberate ourselves and the Middle East itself from the tyranny of dependence on petroleum, which has frustrated every impulse towards modernization of the region, while giving its regimes the resources to hold onto power.

And frankly, we've made that possible by signaling Arab regimes we don't much care what they do so long as they keep the oil flowing and the prices low. That attitude must not only end; it must be reversed. Energy independence is not just a domestic priority for our country. It's also essential to our national security, because our reliance on their oil limits our ability to move them towards needed reforms and props up decaying and sometimes corrupt regimes, including those that support terrorist groups. Any long-term strategy for winning the war on terror must therefore include a determined effort to reduce our dependence on petroleum. So many opportunities to do that are staring us in the face, but none have been seized with the urgency our security demands."

Get Tough With Failed Middle East Regimes About Reform:

"We must counter the teaching of hatred in Madrassas by pressing regimes to teach tolerance in schools throughout the Middle East and Central Asia. We must work with moderate Muslims, especially clerics, to permanently discredit the belief that the murder of innocents can be justified in the name of God, race, or nation. The people of the Middle East need to learn who we are from direct experience with Americans-not from watching a failed Madison Avenue ad campaign."

Iraq:

"our mismanaged occupation has inadvertently created a new front in the war on terror."

"We need to focus all of our energies on making 2006 the year in which we turn over that struggle to our partners within Iraq, and do everything possible to give the next Iraqi government the local, regional, and global legitimacy it needs to survive and thrive. I've set out a series of steps we could take to eliminate the perception of a permanent military occupation, and achieve the political solution our generals say we need to weaken the insurgency, isolate the foreign jihadists, and bring Iraq stability."

Use Our Moral Authority All Over the World to Help Win War On Terror"

"We must also start treating our moral authority as a precious national asset in the war on terror. We play into the hands of our enemies and lose credibility when the Vice President lobbies for the right to torture, even after the Abu Ghraib disaster, when the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has to publicly remind the Secretary of Defense that our troops have an obligation to stop torture when they see others doing it, and when we continue to hold detainees indefinitely in a legal no-man's land."

Reshape Our Military So It Can Do Its Part in War On Terror:

"There will be times, like in Afghanistan, when direct military engagement will be necessary. And that requires reshaping our military for the missions ahead: a larger infantry and more special forces; more personnel trained and equipped to perform post-conflict reconstruction missions; a Guard and Reserve force that meets the nation's needs overseas and at home."

Finally Stop Stalling and Get Homeland Security, Intelligence, and Non Proliferation Right:

"Al Qaeda has morphed into a global hydra of hidden terrorists who often share nothing more than a common hatred. To disrupt and destroy their networks before they can attack, we must do much more to improve and overhaul our intelligence and law enforcement capabilities by accelerating the creation of a true domestic counterterrorism capability within the FBI, and greatly increasing our overseas clandestine intelligence service. And to be truly effective in the global conflict, we must leverage much greater assistance from foreign intelligence agencies, expand the Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program and increase exchange programs and liaison relationships

And we must treat securing dangerous materials around the world with the urgency the threat demands. We can all agree that our top national security priority is to keep weapons of mass destruction out of the hands of terrorists. Yet the 9/11 commission gives the administration a nearly failing grade on that very task. That's just not acceptable.

One of the worst myths the President has propagated is that we've somehow bottled up the world's terrorists in Iraq, and by fighting them there, we no longer need fear that they can strike us here. The 9/11 commission's report on the administration's efforts to implement its much-praised recommendations gave our government failing grades on homeland security. And the fiasco of the federal Katrina response showed graphically that you have to do more than create a new Department to deal with grave emergencies competently. It's time to finally get serious, with money and attention, to the most urgent homeland security threats, including the extreme vulnerability of our ports, the most likely point of entry for terrorists with weapons of mass destruction.

A Call for Democrats and Republicans to Get It Right in the War on Terror

"It's time for the President to put a little more Harry Truman in his foreign policy. And if he won't, then those who admire Harry Truman will keep up the fight at home, in order to win the fight against terrorism around the world."
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Everything I've heard from the Republicans is empty. They did have a plan for Iraq...assuming everything went how they planned. In the real world, the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang alay.

Try this on for size...I want to ski from the summit of Everest. That is my plan. Nope...I'm not gonna even think about what that will take. That's just my plan. And I'm gonna do it tomorrow. What's that I'm hearing from you naysayers about supplies, route-planning, oxygen, etc.??? You're just trying to negate my plan because you have none of your own.

Wow...see how easy it is to lay out plans!!!
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I'm really sorry to hear that you feel this way. No party should benefit from a terrorist event.

Well you better get on the phone with your buddy KKKarl Rove and let him know...

Dude - you were manipulated by the Republicans and you didn't even know it...

So sad...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

ski_adk wrote:Everything I've heard from the Republicans is empty. They did have a plan for Iraq...assuming everything went how they planned. In the real world, the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang alay.
Right - I remember Cheney telling us that the oil porfits would pay for the war... didn't happen...

I remember him saying the streets would be lined with people throwing flowers at our feet... didn't happen...

I also remember our President flying onto an aircraft carrier and announcing that we won...
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

DMC Freeride wrote:Real Security in the Post-9/11 World

There is a long range war on terror above and beyond breaking up terrorist cells:

"So this is the long range mission in the war on terror: one, make sure the right side wins the war of ideas within the Islamic world; two, build up diversified economies and civil society; and, three, end the empire of oil. These three challenges make it abundantly clear this is not a war the United States should fight alone. And that's the basic insight the President and his administration have yet to fully grasp and translate into policies Americans can fully understand."
"
this is where so many disconnects are. This administration and many who support its policies regarding the middle east and iraq only understand the policy of bombs and all out war. so sad.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

2knees wrote:

"
this is where so many disconnects are. This administration and many who support its policies regarding the middle east and iraq only understand the policy of bombs and all out war. so sad.
Yup.... killing them just makes them more pissed off and the become stronger...
KnuckleDrag Shame
Blue Chatterbox

Post by KnuckleDrag Shame »

I'm not particularly Politics Savvy. But I did not think the Democrats had a plan of action to show the country or for the war in Iraq. So the Republicans had to be chosen. I saw them showing plans to the people.
Like how they will try to protect our country. Wiretapping. Maybe not the best plan. But the Democrats have only criticized the plan (am I right on this) I haven't seen them come up with a better solution to protect america
If She had me Back Again, Well I'd Never Make Her Sad! I got a Heart Full of Soul
-the Yardbirds
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

2knees wrote:

"
One of the best treatments I've seen of this very topic was a recent podcast on "American Dissent Radio" (1/29/06 episode). Heartily reccommend that anyone interested in this listen to the podcast or read the transcript at their website http://www.americandissentradio.com
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I propose we get out of the middle east. Let Hamas blow-up Israel and ignite the powder-keg <insert inebriated Iran action here>. Once the Muslims rule all of the middle east and have killed all the Christians and Jews they'll take over Europe.

But we'll be safe in the US. Nothing will ever happen to us, long as we mind our own business. Let Europe and the Middle East battle it out, after all, it's none of our business. Oil? We can't go to war to protect our interests, we'll walk if we have to. No more war.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I propose we get out of the middle east. Let Hamas blow-up Israel and ignite the powder-keg <insert inebriated Iran action here>. Once the Muslims rule all of the middle east and have killed all the Christians and Jews they'll take over Europe.

But we'll be safe in the US. Nothing will ever happen to us, long as we mind our own business. Let Europe and the Middle East battle it out, after all, it's none of our business. Oil? We can't go to war to protect our interests, we'll walk if we have to. No more war.

How about we just pick our fights without having to stretch the truth...??

How about we don't start wars when were already fighting one???
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

BigKahuna13 wrote: One of the best treatments I've seen of this very topic was a recent podcast on "American Dissent Radio" (1/29/06 episode). Heartily reccommend that anyone interested in this listen to the podcast or read the transcript at their website http://www.americandissentradio.com
fantastic read. thank you. On a side note, I've read a few articles in regards to the PNAC and it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I propose we get out of the middle east. Let Hamas blow-up Israel and ignite the powder-keg <insert inebriated Iran action here>. Once the Muslims rule all of the middle east and have killed all the Christians and Jews they'll take over Europe.

You drinking?
KnuckleDrag Shame
Blue Chatterbox

Post by KnuckleDrag Shame »

We need to keep Israel around. If the leader if Iran does "wipe Israel off the map" WW3 is on.
Iran is becoming a huge issue. Somehow, I pray, pray peacefully their nuclear programs can be stopped.
If She had me Back Again, Well I'd Never Make Her Sad! I got a Heart Full of Soul
-the Yardbirds