Please don't idle your cars Killington employees

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Please don't idle your cars Killington employees

Post by killyfan »

throbster wrote:We are supposed to feel bad about idling cars when so-called environmental activists like DeCraprio do things like this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 01731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you lose respect for him.

I can't loose respect for people that I never had respect for. That is F&!ked up! OMFG.
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

killyfan wrote:
throbster wrote:We are supposed to feel bad about idling cars when so-called environmental activists like DeCraprio do things like this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 01731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you lose respect for him.

I can't loose respect for people that I never had respect for. That is F&!ked up! OMFG.
So answer the question, what do you drive ?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

This thread pisses me off. So after a great day at K I went home. Had some dinner. It was relatively warm out. Went out back and fired up the old TD 15. Old school. Non emissions dozer. No tier 4 for this Ahole. Let her charge up the batteries a good long time. Kily whine bag can go and pound sand. Very tempted to roll into bay 1 with my Peterbilt. Let her twin stacks run all day the next time I barbecue. 180 gallons of fuel she can go a while. She's a beauty. Pre emissions Cat engine. I could use a nice tree hugger for a hood ornament. So killy whiner what do you drive? Better yet where do you work? I'd like to examine your short comings and ridicule you and your employer publicly. I can respect environmentally conscious people. Not you. Jeopardizing a good persons job. I hope you need a tow out of a muddy road some night. All you'll see are my tail lights.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

killyfan wrote:
rogman wrote:14 diesel compressors for snow making that run weeks on end, 20 or so huge diesel cats that run most nights grooming the mountain, and you're worried that Killington's leaving a truck running for 5 minutes?
No.... what I was getting at is that since Mike and all of the other powers that be have made a such huge (and wonderful) effort here to make us one of the greenest ski areas in the US, that I want us all to keep the ball rolling and do everything that we possibly can to continue moving forward with this progress.

Duh yea, you need to use a LOT of power to run a ski area. Killington has reduced their environmental impact astronomically already - and I truly believe that every little bit helps. So when their employees leave their vehicles running because they want their tushies to be warm when they hop back in I just think it's truly lame. Several folks posting here are assuming that I saw an employee in a Killington Resort vehicle. That's incorrect. This person was in their personal vehicle - but because he is someone that we all know and that many do admire, it really bothered me that he would do something like that. People at the top of the totem pole should always set good examples - in both their personal and professional lives.

Again, I don't want to get this un-named employee in trouble. I just wanted to get people (including everyone posting on this thread) to think about the effects of their actions and habits. I just lost respect for a resort employee that I assumed was cool. I'm pretty sure the resort doesn't want that to happen with other people too...
The reason this is stupid is because there are real problems, and this trivializes them. "Oh, all you have to do is shut off your idling car for five minutes and everything will be hunky-dory". Nonsense like this actually causes a backlash against environmentalism. If you believe your rhetoric, do something more substantial than a mindless stance against a single individual.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

rogman wrote:
killyfan wrote:
rogman wrote:14 diesel compressors for snow making that run weeks on end, 20 or so huge diesel cats that run most nights grooming the mountain, and you're worried that Killington's leaving a truck running for 5 minutes?
No.... what I was getting at is that since Mike and all of the other powers that be have made a such huge (and wonderful) effort here to make us one of the greenest ski areas in the US, that I want us all to keep the ball rolling and do everything that we possibly can to continue moving forward with this progress.

Duh yea, you need to use a LOT of power to run a ski area. Killington has reduced their environmental impact astronomically already - and I truly believe that every little bit helps. So when their employees leave their vehicles running because they want their tushies to be warm when they hop back in I just think it's truly lame. Several folks posting here are assuming that I saw an employee in a Killington Resort vehicle. That's incorrect. This person was in their personal vehicle - but because he is someone that we all know and that many do admire, it really bothered me that he would do something like that. People at the top of the totem pole should always set good examples - in both their personal and professional lives.

Again, I don't want to get this un-named employee in trouble. I just wanted to get people (including everyone posting on this thread) to think about the effects of their actions and habits. I just lost respect for a resort employee that I assumed was cool. I'm pretty sure the resort doesn't want that to happen with other people too...
The reason this is stupid is because there are real problems, and this trivializes them. "Oh, all you have to do is shut off your idling car for five minutes and everything will be hunky-dory". Nonsense like this actually causes a backlash against environmentalism. If you believe your rhetoric, do something more substantial than a mindless stance against a single individual.
How about those huge diesel generators that run forever.

K should turn those off.

Still wondering what his ride is.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Idle This :banana:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Forever .. Goat Path
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

He's got a lot to say other others.

Ask him a direct question and he clams up.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Dickc wrote:While you can idle a vehicle to warm it up, they warm up best by being driven!
Not always the case, I can idle my car for warm up for 5 minutes and have a safe departure from my house off of East Mountain road, on a cold morning, if I do not warm the car, I can make it well into Bridgewater before my temp will rise to the same spot as it is entirely a down hill stretch and the cold air leaches heat from building.....
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

ANGUS wrote:
killyfan wrote:I was going to post this on the political board, but since I wanted to be certain that it was seen by the "powers that be" at the resort, I'm sticking it here.

This morning I was parking my car at a local business, and a very recognizable and well-known Killington employee pulled up next to me, hopped out and left his car running. He went inside, took several minutes to make his purchases and then zipped out of the parking lot on his way up the access road.

It really hit me - I'm sitting here in a bone dry parking lot with nothing but mud and grass to look at at the end of February, (and throw in the dust rolling across the road like an apocalypse had just happened) and here is a guy who's very livelihood DEPENDS ON SNOW, yet he doesn't have the courtesy to turn off his car while he is shopping. I don't typically rant in public forums, but we're supposed to be a GREEN RESORT, and one of the most recognizable employees of that same resort is polluting the environment unnecessarily.

No - I'm not a rabid environmentalist. But YES, I do make every attempt to do the right thing and not waste fuel, cause unnecessary emissions, recycle every single thing that I can, and yes, even compost. I think that all of us need to be conscious of their behavior and how it affects our environment. It's been a long, long time since I have seen an "epic non-stop" winter here, and I definitely want to see more in the future.

Please let's all help make our lives more fun and our environment more enjoyable.
I agree we should be kind to the environment. That being said killy fan. My advice is to keep it to yourself. Don't bust K- balls. Maybe you should stay home and reduce your own carbon footprint. Perhaps we should start grooming with horses. As for confronting someone its not a good idea. Moving another persons vehicle is also not a good choice. Let me remind you that many in VT exercise the right to carry.
Think off all the emissions that were put out to generate the juice to reply to this thread. Shame on you sir. :chill
This!
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Does anyone remember the study that showed the green life cycle of a Hummer is better than that of a Prius?
Devils Fiddle
Black Carver

Post by Devils Fiddle »

There isn't really that much green about the sport of skiing. Even less green about skiing on the east coast with generators and all the driving most on this board do to get to the mountain.

Currently flying to Utah for the third time this year and I feel green about it because I'm skiing at a green resort of Powder Mountain.

Idle On
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I've gotten away from tuning my own skis. I send them to a shop that grinds them and then hand tunes the rest. They use electricity from a possible carbon based source. Should I burn in hell? I guess its time to turn in my pass. Maybe go Amish. (No offense to the Amish members of k zone)
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

ANGUS wrote:I've gotten away from tuning my own skis. I send them to a shop that grinds them and then hand tunes the rest. They use electricity from a possible carbon based source. Should I burn in hell? I guess its time to turn in my pass. Maybe go Amish. (No offense to the Amish members of k zone)
Most of the Electric in VT comes from Hydro Quebec. They even run the Hydro dams in Vermont and have added transmission lines to increase the ability to send power from Quebec to the US.

I always love listening to the ones that talk about the eminent end coming due to global warming. When History shows that we had oceans across North America and jungles prior to that I don't think puny humans are the cause. The sea will rise, the climate will change and then the ICE will return. We may not be here when it is done.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Dr. NO wrote:The sea will rise, the climate will change and then the ICE will return. We may not be here when it is done.
Pretty much the weather forecast for this week! :lol:
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Seacoaster wrote:
ANGUS wrote:
killyfan wrote:I was going to post this on the political board, but since I wanted to be certain that it was seen by the "powers that be" at the resort, I'm sticking it here.

This morning I was parking my car at a local business, and a very recognizable and well-known Killington employee pulled up next to me, hopped out and left his car running. He went inside, took several minutes to make his purchases and then zipped out of the parking lot on his way up the access road.

It really hit me - I'm sitting here in a bone dry parking lot with nothing but mud and grass to look at at the end of February, (and throw in the dust rolling across the road like an apocalypse had just happened) and here is a guy who's very livelihood DEPENDS ON SNOW, yet he doesn't have the courtesy to turn off his car while he is shopping. I don't typically rant in public forums, but we're supposed to be a GREEN RESORT, and one of the most recognizable employees of that same resort is polluting the environment unnecessarily.

No - I'm not a rabid environmentalist. But YES, I do make every attempt to do the right thing and not waste fuel, cause unnecessary emissions, recycle every single thing that I can, and yes, even compost. I think that all of us need to be conscious of their behavior and how it affects our environment. It's been a long, long time since I have seen an "epic non-stop" winter here, and I definitely want to see more in the future.

Please let's all help make our lives more fun and our environment more enjoyable.
I agree we should be kind to the environment. That being said killy fan. My advice is to keep it to yourself. Don't bust K- balls. Maybe you should stay home and reduce your own carbon footprint. Perhaps we should start grooming with horses. As for confronting someone its not a good idea. Moving another persons vehicle is also not a good choice. Let me remind you that many in VT exercise the right to carry.
Think off all the emissions that were put out to generate the juice to reply to this thread. Shame on you sir. :chill
This!
seacoaster. " This" Please explain. Not sure if you should be put on the enemy list. Please explain sir.

b
at