Mud slide

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: Mud slide

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 17:53
daytripper wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 17:00 Isn't there already a thread for this discussion?
Well ... The "Mud Slide" was a MASSIVE event at Killington. I have a place at Sunrise so it matters to me and I am truly grateful for those that started this thread. It was a GREAT thread. I had no particular intent to "highjack" the thread and make it about climate.

But... when the conversation segwayed into "500 year events" and blaming this on "climate change" I felt the justification to push back against the developing narrative. I truly want to minimize the damage caused by these recurrent events, for everyone's sake. I think Vermonters are amazingly resilient folks who has been consistently brave and clever and impressive in response to flooding events. I love Vermont. I admire (most) Vermonters more than most other populations.

In my opinion, if people think the proper response to this is to blame "human induced climate change," the effect will be destructive. Instead of planning for future events which WILL OCCUR not matter what we do... we are told we will need to change over to EVs and mass transit. That is real wealth spent poorly. If we ignored the climate alarmists we would have cheaper energy, good for people of modest financial resources, and thus more available wealth to build resilient infrastructure.

In any case, sorry to have offended anyone by RESPONDING to claims about the impact of CO2 on the mudslide.

And... you gotta admit those are cool flooding pictures?

I actually have lots more,including a few books. I have been obsessed about flooding in Vermont since the 1973 floods destroyed my favorite tiny trout stream: Pinney Hollow Brook.
Are you familiar with the Johnstown, PA flood of 1889 when a dam broke due to record setting r*ins? Catastrophic floods have been taking place since Biblical times-just ask Noah. Here is a list of the damage from the Great Johnstown flood:

The scale of the Johnstown flood of 1889 is difficult to visualize. Summarizing the flood’s impact in statistics and facts is a quick way to convey the enormity of the event. Here is a list of some of the most descriptive facts about the Johnstown flood.
•2,209 people died. (Click here for a PDF list of flood victims, including their addresses, ages and burial places.)
•99 entire families died, including 396 children
•124 women and 198 men were left widowed.
•More than 750 victims were never identified and rest in the Plot of the Unknown in Grandview Cemetery
•Bodies were found as far away as Cincinnati, and as late as 1911
•1,600 homes were destroyed
•$17 million in property damage was done
•Four square miles of downtown Johnstown were completely destroyed
•The pile of debris at the stone bridge covered 30 acres
•The distance between the dam that failed and Johnstown was 14 miles.
•The dam was owned by the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, an exclusive club that counted Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick among its members.
•The dam contained 20 million tons of water before it gave way, about the same amount of water as goes over Niagara Falls in 36 minutes.
•Flood lines were found as high as 89 feet above river level
•The great wave measured 35-40 feet high and hit Johnstown at 40 miles per hour.
•The force of the flood swept several locomotives weighing 170,000 pounds as far as 4,800 feet
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Can you guys take the climate debate to the other thread?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

Bubba wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 20:10 Can you guys take the climate debate to the other thread?
Point taken.

Do you think the mention of other flood events/ comparisons ( without referencing any climate issues) is a reasonable extension of the topic?

I would love looking at any pictures of previous floods (especially '73 flood) if anyone had any.
Ski the edges!
Eddytheyetti
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Did anybody attend the sunrise meeting last night? Just curious what the official outlook is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 22:41
Bubba wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 20:10 Can you guys take the climate debate to the other thread?
Point taken.

Do you think the mention of other flood events/ comparisons ( without referencing any climate issues) is a reasonable extension of the topic?

I would love looking at any pictures of previous floods (especially '73 flood) if anyone had any.
I liked the pics you posted of old floods, maybe a new thread for just flood pics and discussion would be warranted to keep this thread on just the current flood.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 22:41
Point taken.

I love looking at disasters on line. That's why I'm one of the KZone admins. :banana:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Here is a screengrab from the USGS gauge in West Bridgewater that really puts the mudslide and the next days flooding into perspective . . . Notice the steep climb on the afternoon of Friday 7/7. That is the mudslide day. Beyond that, the river stayed high and the gauge went inoperable Monday (7/10) afternoon. The gauge is not yet back online.

"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

ski wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 10:13 Here is a screengrab from the USGS gauge in West Bridgewater that really puts the mudslide and the next days flooding into perspective . . . Notice the steep climb on the afternoon of Friday 7/7. That is the mudslide day. Beyond that, the river stayed high and the gauge went inoperable Monday (7/10) afternoon. The gauge is not yet back online.
Yeah I noticed the West Bridgewater gauge was not reporting... did the station actually get destroyed? I was headed up for stream fishing the day of the flood and called it off because of the forecast. Cannot imagine how sh*tty this all is for lots of Vermonters.

Haven't been up since. Trying to keep out of the way. Is East Mountain road still out? Oklahomans seem to to live with intermittent tornados, Vermonters intermittent floods. I hated the 1973 central Vermont floods. Lots of bulldozers used to open and smooth stream channels. I guess it needed to be done but I think it might make things even worse downstream by speeding up the flow??
Ski the edges!
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Best quote ever SGT!

In my opinion, if people think the proper response to this is to blame "human induced climate change," the effect will be destructive. Instead of planning for future events which WILL OCCUR not matter what we do... we are told we will need to change over to EVs and mass transit. That is real wealth spent poorly. If we ignored the climate alarmists we would have cheaper energy, good for people of modest financial resources, and thus more available wealth to build resilient infrastructure
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 11:33
ski wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 10:13 Here is a screengrab from the USGS gauge in West Bridgewater that really puts the mudslide and the next days flooding into perspective . . . Notice the steep climb on the afternoon of Friday 7/7. That is the mudslide day. Beyond that, the river stayed high and the gauge went inoperable Monday (7/10) afternoon. The gauge is not yet back online.
Yeah I noticed the West Bridgewater gauge was not reporting... did the station actually get destroyed?
Not sure . . I believe the gauge is upstream from the Route 4 bridge at Skyeship (under construction)closer to the stone church. The equipment was definitely compromised . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

180 wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 13:53 Best quote ever SGT!

In my opinion, if people think the proper response to this is to blame "human induced climate change," the effect will be destructive. Instead of planning for future events which WILL OCCUR not matter what we do... we are told we will need to change over to EVs and mass transit. That is real wealth spent poorly. If we ignored the climate alarmists we would have cheaper energy, good for people of modest financial resources, and thus more available wealth to build resilient infrastructure
Thanks! I wish more people understood that this might be a sane perspective.
Ski the edges!