NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Post by madhatter »

MrsG wrote:“Gov. Baker declares State of Emergency due to 'significant uptick' in COVID-19 cases
Jessica Michalski
Posted 12 min ago”
Edit to add: Massachusetts
https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/go ... 1a535.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOSTON, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -- Governor Baker has declared a State of Emergency in Massachusetts due to the 'significant uptick' in coronavirus cases in the U.S. and here in the state.

Gov. Baker and state health officials in Boston updated the public on the coronavirus situation Tuesday afternoon.

So far there are 91 presumptive cases in the state, with 1 confirmed case by the CDC. This reportedly includes 40 females and 52 males.

70 of the 92 cases are related to the Biogen meeting in Boston, according to state officials.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

MrsG wrote:“Gov. Baker declares State of Emergency due to 'significant uptick' in COVID-19 cases
Jessica Michalski
Posted 12 min ago”
Edit to add: Massachusetts
https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/go ... 1a535.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's worse than Romney.

I need to leave this commie state.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

God Dammit Tom Clancy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clanc ... e_Division" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also wrote a book in the 90's where a plane was crashed into the Capitol.... :shock:
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Merkel Expects 60-70% Of Germans To Be Infected With Coronavirus
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Highway Star wrote:Here is the zone:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2 ... -73.794257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wanted to be clear on this, yesterday I was under the impression this was a one mile circle/diameter. The media has been reporting (correctly for once) that it is a 1 mile radius from the epicenter. That's 3.14 square miles, or about 30% the land area New Rochelle. Considering a large portion of the land is park and country club while being away from the direct town center, it's probably around 15K to 20K people. Current count for Westchester county is 108 cases, focused on this containment zone.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Yeah. Full on eff you Pneumonia. If the health care system gets overwhelmed it's just going to snowball.

First confirmed patient in R.I. talks about surviving coronavirus

PROVIDENCE — Rhode Island’s first confirmed coronavirus patient, the vice principal of student life at Saint Raphael Academy who led a field trip to Europe, spoke to The Wall Street Journal from the ICU at Miriam Hospital.

Marc Thibault, 48, who became one of the first patients diagnosed in the United States, said he used hand sanitizer frequently during the Feb. 14-22 trip, but in Italy, he shared a microphone with a tour guide who said he was coming down with the flu.

He felt sluggish on the flight home, he told The Wall Street Journal. He stayed home from work but went to a walk-in clinic when he felt worse, then a few days later to a hospital. Doctors at both places decided his symptoms did not qualify him for the coronavirus test, but the hospital contacted the R.I. Department of Health, which told him to get tested immediately.

He was tested at Miriam Hospital and admitted on Feb. 27.

Then, he said, the illness hit him “like a hurricane.”

He struggled to breathe. His lungs filled with fluid, and nurses in hazmat-style suits had to drain them every two hours.

The worst part, he said, was the feeling of choking. “You feel like you’re asphyxiating, and you’re panicking because you can’t breathe.”

He kept telling himself, “Just get through the next hour, the next hour, the next hour.”

At one point, he was aware that a priest in protective gear was about to administer last rites. He wrote a note to his wife saying that if his lungs collapsed, he did not want to be put on life support.

“I was one inch from death,” he told the WSJ on Tuesday.

“It’s alarming when I hear people minimize it as a simple cold,” he said. “It almost killed me.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... oronavirus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

This IS the superflu we've been waiting for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/co ... rking_and/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iris De Ryck comes into professional contact with quite a few viruses and bacteria. The doctor and epidemiologist is responsible for the safety of the vaccines developed there at the Italian site of a pharmaceutical multinational, and in that capacity cooperated, among other things, with research into the notorious Ebola virus. But she rarely saw anything that made her as worried as Covid-19, she says.

"This virus has it all. The infectivity is higher than that of the flu, so is the mortality, there is no basic immunity in the population and no effective treatment or vaccine for the time being. Moreover, you can walk around with it for two weeks before you feel anything, a period in which you are likely to infect other people. That is a worst-case scenario, when you talk about the potential impact on your health care. "

[...]

From Belgium, the Italian corona crisis still seems like a far-away-from-us show. Our daily reported figure remains on the low side, the situation seems to be under control. But De Ryck looks at her homeland with Italian glasses. She fears that the situation will be underestimated*.*

[...]

"To say it briefly like Nelson Mandela: everything seems impossible until it's done*. Reality just catches up with you. In Italy it seemed unthinkable ten days ago that we would close schools and ski resorts. Today people are wondering why it didn't happen earlier. "*

"The discussion in Belgium is no different than the one in Italy two weeks ago. There were also two camps. I can tell you, now that the testimonials from the overcrowded hospitals are coming in, there is really only one camp.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/cov ... 73571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COVID-19: Study says placing Wuhan under lockdown delayed spread by nearly 80%

NEW DELHI: China’s decision to place Wuhan, the epicentre of the COVID-19 outbreak, under a lockdown in late January helped slow down the spread of the infection by nearly 80%, showed scientists in a new modelling study.

An international team of scientists studied the impact of travel restrictions on the national and international spread of the epidemic, since January 23, when China had first put Wuhan under a lockdown. The findings were published in the peer-reviewed journal - Science.

According to the study, by the time travel curbs were imposed on Wuhan, large number of people exposed to the virus had already been on the move internationally without being detected. Most Chinese cities had received many infected travelers. So, the curbs managed to delay the spread in mainland China by 3-5 days.

Initially, Shanghai (28.1%), Beijing (14%), and Shenzhen (12.8%) were the top five ranked cities as origins of international case importations.

But the scenario changed as case importations to other countries fell by around 77% when international airlines halted flights to and from China. Import of cases to other countries began to decline until mid-February, when the risk of importation of cases began rising from Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan and US, with Japan accounting for 13.9% with highest risk of importation and the US 5.7%.

The epidemic slowly grew in proportion and has now spread to over 110 countries, with death toll of over 1,000 outside mainland China. As on Wednesday, Italy remains the most affected country after mainland China with 10,000 infected cases, followed by Iran and South Korea.

Researchers have highlighted that since the outbreak has spread globally, going forward travel restrictions will have a modest impact on the spread. "The greatest benefit to mitigating the epidemic will come from behavioral changes and public health interventions - early detection, isolation and regular hand washing," said Matteo Chinazzi, lead author of the study.

According to the team, continued 90% travel restrictions to and from mainland China would only modestly affect the epidemic trajectory, unless combined with at least 50% reduction of transmission in the community.

The team had used a global disease transmission model known as Global Epidemic and Mobility Model (GLEAM) to simulate the impact of travel restrictions on the spread of COVID-19, more commonly referred to as novel coronavirus. The new strain of coronavirus has now spread to over 110 countries, with 119,541 people affected world over and global death toll at 4,292.
Yeah.........people are stupid and there is not nearly enough quarantine action going on the US.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Technical but worth looking at:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.aba9757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

This guy knows:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The coronavirus is coming to you.
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

Goddammit.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

This chart should make you throw up. If they are confirming 100 new cases a day, that means there are actually about 1000+ people catching it a day. Wohan went into lockdown on the day they diagnosed about 350 people in that day alone.

You don't want to know what the projections look like. :shock:
Last edited by Highway Star on Mar 11th, '20, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Highway Star wrote:This chart should make you throw up. If they are confirming 100 new cases a day, that means there are actually about 2000 people catching it a day. Wohan went into lockdown on the day they diagnosed about 350 people in that day alone.

You don't want to know what the projections look like. :shock:
SO......I did some projections for the state of Massachusetts.

Starting with 8 cases on March 6th, the typical 50% new cases per day puts us at around 390 new cases on Wednesday March 18th, which is directly inline with my initial gut feel estimate.

Massachusetts is WELL ahead of that, with a four day average case increase of +87%. If this pace remains unchanged, they will announce over 250 new cases / 600 total on Friday 13th and 500 new / 1100 Total on Saturday March 14th.

Pay VERY close attention to today (Wed) and tomorrow's (Thurs) increase. If it's over 50% we are in serious trouble.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

WHO declares Pandemic.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1237777021742338049?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

We all know how to access the Drudge Report. No need to clutter the Kzone with your doomsday predictions.

Oh, and get a f*** life!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

throbster wrote:We all know how to access the Drudge Report. No need to clutter the Kzone with your doomsday predictions.

Oh, and get a f*** life!
Enjoy your pneumonia dumb ass.