5,500 Servicemen have deserted...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

5,500 Servicemen have deserted...

Post by DMC Freeride »

"I was told in basic training that, if I'm given an illegal or immoral order, it is my duty to disobey it, and I feel that invading and occupying Iraq is an illegal and immoral thing to do."
Spc. Jeremy Hinzman

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/ ... 9336.shtml
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

It's one thing to refuse to do something that's clearly illegal and immoral like refusing to shoot an unarmed person. It's something else to desert because you disagree with policy. He gave up his right to act on his
disagreement with his country's policies when he signed up.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

It’s mixed feelings for me because while I whole-heartedly oppose the war, I also realize the need to have a military that follows orders without question. When you voluntarily sign up for military service, I would hope you are aware of all the possibilities that contract entails and if any of those possibilities seems unacceptable, dont join. It’s probably not in the militarys best interest for the rank and file to decide what is right and wrong. Draft dodging is a bit different, in my opinion, in that the men were not joining the military of the own volition. Not to say I don’t understand, to some degree, their decisions based upon the interviews given in the article.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

BigKahuna13 wrote:It's one thing to refuse to do something that's clearly illegal and immoral like refusing to shoot an unarmed person. It's something else to desert because you disagree with policy. He gave up his right to act on his

Agreed. Once you have made the commitment to sign up, you need stick to that commitment. Sorry if you don't agree with the war, but you signed up and now your SOL if you don't like it.
Ron Paul 2012
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

St. Jerry wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:It's one thing to refuse to do something that's clearly illegal and immoral like refusing to shoot an unarmed person. It's something else to desert because you disagree with policy. He gave up his right to act on his
Agreed. Once you have made the commitment to sign up, you need stick to that commitment. Sorry if you don't agree with the war, but you signed up and now your SOL if you don't like it.
Agreed.
Dirty Old Ski Bastard
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dirty Old Ski Bastard »

Agreed. Once you sign up, you cant back out that easily.

Look before you leap as they say.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Kahuna very wise in this case. The war is Policy and he is stuck. Hope he likes Kansas and the Marines.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Dr. NO wrote:Kahuna very wise in this case. The war is Policy and he is stuck. Hope he likes Kansas and the Marines.
Kahuna is the wisest of the wise.....

Never doubt Kahuna....
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

I think this guy is right for standing by his moral convictions and I think you guys are all right for what you say about standing by your commitment to your brothers and sisters in arms.

Looking back in hind sight, would you label Vietnam desserters and draft dodgers as villainous traitors or conscientous objectors?
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Not sure the point of your post DMC but if it was to insinuate that the average grunt disagrees with the actions of the US government it's not backed up by the facts, if that wasn't the point could you please enlighten me as to what the point was.

Thanks

SS/HD Out

Putting things in perspective:

There are 1,427,000 active duty military personnel add in another 860,000
in the 7 reserve components that's a total of 2,287,000 total military personnel. Having a desertion rate of .00240489724529951902% should come as no surprise.

More info:

Desertion Rates 1977-2004

Dersertion Rates Drop
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

shortski wrote:Not sure the point of your post DMC but if it was to insinuate that the average grunt disagrees with the actions of the US government it's not backed up by the facts, if that wasn't the point could you please enlighten me as to what the point was.

Thanks

SS/HD Out

in the 7 reserve components that's a total of 2,287,000 total military personnel. Having a desertion rate of .00240489724529951902% should come as no surprise.

More info:

Dersertion Rates Drop
And what's your point? Are you here to restate the obvious? That it's a small percentage? Thanks for that. Again, we were lost without you.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Cityskier wrote:
shortski wrote:Not sure the point of your post DMC but if it was to insinuate that the average grunt disagrees with the actions of the US government it's not backed up by the facts, if that wasn't the point could you please enlighten me as to what the point was.

Thanks

SS/HD Out

More info:

Dersertion Rates Drop
And what's your point? Are you here to restate the obvious? That it's a small percentage? Thanks for that. Again, we were lost without you.
My point was to get some clarification from DMC, but hey thanks for the reply, that's one in a row without profanity, keep up the good work.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

I was just starting a converstation... I have no point..

it just seemed interesting..
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

DMC Freeride wrote:
I was just starting a converstation... I have no point..

it just seemed interesting..
This is the USA, DMC! We cannot discuss these things. That might lead to thinking and logic and then we're f*** ed! (Just for you SS) Simple ShortSki might get confused if we peel back the layers of the onion. You see, he's all bark and no bite.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Freedom is when the people can speak, democracy is when the government listens.
Alastair Farrugia

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
Benjamin Franklin